Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela will be player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : Off-Topic : Non-Tennis

Do you play tennis as a hobby/profession?
Yes, I play tennis 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
No, I do not play tennis 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 8
Author Enter your Message here

Tier II Title Holder
 Post subject: Do You Play Tennis?
PostPosted: 19. March 2009 21:30 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 11:48
I love watching tennis and I also love playing tennis. I have lower back problems and I am taking chiropractic rehabilitation along with getting exercise and playing tennis to fight off the pain. I've only been playing for a few months but now I'm taking coaching lessons and I'm getting better at it. If you play tennis, why not tell us a little about your game? Here are some examples.

Do you use a one-handed backhand or two-handed backhand?
Are you right or left handed?
Have you ever taken tennis lessons?
Do you like playing doubles or singles?
Do you have a coach or a practice partner?
What type of racquet do you use?

If you play tennis regularly or competitively:

What is the strongest aspect of your game?
Would you ever consider turning pro?
What are some players who have inspired your style of play?
Are you better at hitting slice, flat, or topspin?
Are you better at holding serve or breaking serve?
Are you better at baseline play or netplay?

You don't need to answer all of the questions, but here is a little insight on my own game. I'm right handed and use a one handed forehand and a two handed backhand. Right now, I just play for fun and exercise. If I got better in the future, I would love playing tennis as a career. I have a coach and am currently taking private lessons. I'm more comfortable on my backhand rather than my forehand. I'm very good at hitting flat and slice, but I need to improve my topspin. My serve is about average and I can hit in bounds at slow pace. The racquet I'm using right now is Prince Ozone Seven, the same racquet Daniela uses. It has a big sweet spot.

blue webmaster
 Post subject: Re: Do You Play Tennis?
PostPosted: 19. March 2009 21:52 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 09:48
oh, good question!

I am a devoted tennis fan, yes. But I have never played tennis (except a few times with my friends, but it actually didn't remind me of tennis :lol: ).
But honestly, I have often thought of visiting a tennis club, because tennis is fascinating me a lot. But due to a lack of time and maybe even a lack of talent i never tried ^^
Insted I play badminton sometimes, and I'm a lot better in it than in tennis! Though from time to time my tennis interest comes up and I try to play a backhand slice. And this is impossible in badminton :mrgreen:

If I would play tennis, I probably had a one-handed backhand, but I never tried two-handed. I just think it's more elegant and I'm inspired by Roger ;)

Site Admin
PostPosted: 20. March 2009 01:10 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 10:48
I do play, albeit only at a recreational level with my friends. Unfortunately we don't have as much time as we would like for it, so sometimes it happens that there are weeks when we do not play at all, but we try hard. I used to play table tennis at a club when I was younger for about 7 years and I think it affected my tennis one-handed backhand a bit since there is still more wrist action to it than it should be. I would definitely say that I am a much better table tennis player than I am a tennis player. :lol: But last years I've been playing tennis almost exclusively. Forehand is my stronger and more consistent wing, backhand is prone to become mess at times. Fortunately I have no problem to use slice when that happens, which has a bigger margin for error. I am right-handed, left hand is maybe good for holding fork, but not for much more. 8-) Serve is ok considering I am not the tallest guy (somewhere about Daniela's height), though I see a room for improvement technically wise. My touch is pretty good, that's probably the only area where playing table tennis can enhance your tennis game. My lobs are great. :D As for my racket, currently Head flexpoint 1 MP, which is quite light and easy on my arm(s), but I am considering buying a new racket every day. :lol: Not that I am not satisfied, but maybe I should use something with a slightly bigger headsize and bigger sweetspot as it would be probably easier to consistently hit my bh with such racket. My favourite surface would be clay, because there is enough time for everything, no rush yeah. :lol: I don't mind playing on fast surfaces, though. Sometimes we play on a very fast and high-bouncing hard, which is quite difficult for timing, but fun nevertheless.

btw. Daniela doesn't use Ozone 7.

Site Admin
PostPosted: 20. March 2009 08:21 

Local Time:
I rarely play tennis, mainly because nobody wants to play with me. :(

I play with my left-hand, and as most girls, I have a two-handed backhand.
I would love to turn pro, but at 27, I think it's too late for that, lol.
I've only played on clay, didn't mind it at all.

Profile WWW

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 20. March 2009 20:11 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 03:48
I do play tennis! :D not as often as I would like tho. My friends don't like tennis so I really do not have anyone to play with. I started taking lessons when i was like 12 or 13. I have a coach but i havent played in about 2 months! I only played for two years at my school (the school i go to is pretty good (in top 5 in state)).

I play right handed with a two handed backhand. I am more consistant on my backhand but I hit more winners off my forehand. I have a low strike zone so i like approach shots. I like playing both singles and doubles.
I play with a Wilson Ncode nsix-two. i think it was recently discontinued (which sucks) because most people thought it was too light and hurt their wrists. I like it tho! lol :D I would absolutely love turning pro! but I'm not good enough. I like looking off of Rafas game and also Ferrers

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 2. April 2009 19:16 

Local Time:
I'm seeing my coach again this week and I have another lesson set up for tomorrow afternoon, if it doesn't rain. I'm learning the simple techniques right now, which I'm improving, such as turning the shoulders quickly and flicking the wrist on my service motion. I used to use a one-handed backhand but I decided to learn the two-handed backhand instead because a few of my favorite players use the two-handed backhand, like Andy, Daniela, and David (Nalbandian). I'm learning how to rush to the net and hit better volleys now!

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 2. April 2009 22:39 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 03:48
Jonathan, just wondering, is your coach a usta person? or from a tennis club?

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 3. April 2009 20:15 

Local Time:
He's from a local tennis club. He's been coaching for about 30 years now, but I've never even asked him if he's ever worked with USTA. I don't know if I mentioned this already, but I live on the East Coast in South Carolina. We had a great one-hour practice session and my footwork has very much improved. I'm seeing him again next Tuesday or Wednesday.

Tier III Title Holder
PostPosted: 13. April 2009 18:17 

Local Time:
Actaully I've begun tennis thanks to Daniela since 2002. I saw her crying after a lost against Patty Schnyder, I was touched and I decided to play ^^ (that's really true).

At the moment, I'm B-2/6 in Belgium (N.C., C30.5, C30.4, C30.3, C30.2, C30.1, C30, C15.5, C15.4, C15.3, C15.2, C15.1, C15, B+4/6, B+2/6, B0, B-2/6, B-4/6, B-15, B-15.1, B-15.2, B-15.4, A)

Do you use a one-handed backhand or two-handed backhand? I can use both but a two-handed backhand is better to play in a defensive way so I choose this.
Are you right or left handed? Right.
Have you ever taken tennis lessons? Of course, during 4 years in group of 4 or alone.
Do you like playing doubles or singles? I don't like volley, don't like doubles except in group competition like 'Les Interclubs'.
Do you have a coach or a practice partner? I really think that the more you play the more you reach a better level.
What type of racquet do you use? Babolat Pure Drive Team (previous version of Clijsters, Carlos Moya's racket)

If you play tennis regularly or competitively:

What is the strongest aspect of your game? The defense, passing and forehand with big lift
Would you ever consider turning pro? No, the level is really too high.
What are some players who have inspired your style of play? The Spanish in general, Moya, Robredo, Ferrero.
Are you better at hitting slice, flat, or topspin? Topspin
Are you better at holding serve or breaking serve? I don't know, I can serve at 170 kph in first serve but my second ball is not good at all. As we only play on clay in Belgium, service is not a weapon, it's easy to break.
Are you better at baseline play or netplay? Baseline, what is that the net? ^^

Board index : Off-Topic : Non-Tennis