Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Re: Aegon International, Eastbourne
PostPosted: 16. June 2014 21:52 

Local Time:
|16. May 2024| 07:49
Unfortunately I'm not able to go again until Thursday. I very much hope that she'll be still the tournament, but her draw is super tough. I didn't get an autograph but will try on Thursday if she's playing. So many amazing players at Eastbourne this year.

I pretty much saw every player in the singles draw in some form or another either practicing, walking about or in a match. And even though it was really well attended the players literally just walk right past you, it really is an amazing tournament.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 16. June 2014 22:09 

Local Time:
|16. May 2024| 01:49
Sounds like a good time there, eddy. If she gets to Thursday, bring our gal all the luck in the world from the Forum. Hope you get to see her play, and win, and that Dani will be in a giddy mood if you approach her!

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 17. June 2014 00:36 

Local Time:
|16. May 2024| 06:49
It's a shame that you won't be there to see Daniela play tomorrow, eddy, but hopefully you'll see her win on Thursday.

Do you have any juicy gossip about what else was going on?

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 17. June 2014 08:06 

Local Time:
Hmm gossip let me think. When Daniela and Jankovic were playing each other from about 11.30am JJ told Daniela she has to finish at 1pm as she has an interview. They were both laughing as the set was really close with many games going to deuce so Daniela was joking saying they should have started their set from a tiebreak.

At the end of the day Hingis practiced with Bencic which was prettt cool.

After Peng lost to Vesnina loads of kids ran up to Peng to get autographs but she flatly refused them all, she looked quite upset.

Madison Keys and Errani were practicing together and Keys asked who Errani was playing in the first round. Was funny to hear things like that.

Jovanovski has a new grunt which sounds a bit like "asshole". Wozniacki looked so happy after her win against Stosur and was mobbed by the crowd walking round the grounds. Alison Riske is so nice she had just lost to Kerber but signed loads of autographs.

Things to note:
Jankovic looks so old
Konta has a peachy bum
Errani actually hits the ball quite hard, at least in practice
Daniela clearly is the hardest worker out there. She practiced for about 3 hours in the morning and probably went to the gym in the afternoon.
I did notice Daniela stretching out her serving arm quite a bit yesterday I think it was bothering her a bit. However it was quite cold yesterday which doesn't help.
I actually quite like the rapport between Hogsteade and Daniela. I think he is a much more experience coach than he was since he helped Daniela back in 2009 seeing as he has worked with Wozniacki and Sharapova since then. Hogsteade seems to be working on Daniela's technique as I really feel he was asking Daniela to swipe the ball more to take more time away from the opponents and they were working a lot on the "one two punch" making sure her first shot after the serve was offensive.

Daniela wins 75 61!!!!!!!!

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 17. June 2014 12:42 

Local Time:
Well, I guess Roberta isn't so inVincible!
Judging by all the service breaks, Daniela not only played well, she finally caught someone having a bad day. About time!
For a Father's Day present, one of my daughters put my LaCosta t-shirt into a frame. This is Daniela's best win against someone ranked higher than her since then. Sometimes, it's as simple as that.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 17. June 2014 16:18 

Local Time:
Lauren Davis just beat Errani 76 62.

Davis although small in stature hits a big ball.

Daniela am sure will respect her but on paper Daniela has a good chance to reach the quarters.

Davis is very fast so Daniela needs to play smart and take time away from Davis.

It will be a tough match for sure. It will probably be on either on court 1 or court 2. I don't think it'll make centre court. I hope not court 2 as that's not streamed.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 17. June 2014 17:36 

Local Time:
A really good win by Daniela. The first set was tight but when Daniela won it she ran away with the second set, it's a lot like the match in Sydney in 2012 when Daniela won the first set 7-5 then won the second easily. It's also her best win in terms of ranking since Madrid last year and it will give her a lot of confidence, especially as Vinci had beaten Daniela in their recent matches.

Playing Davis is a good opportunity for Daniela to get to the quarter-final although Davis will also see it as an opportunity and she'll have momentum having come through qualifying. She had a good run at Indian Wells, beating Azarenka, so she's got to be respected.

Thanks for telling us what's was going on and what was happening, eddy.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 17. June 2014 20:54 

Local Time:
I thought Daniela wouldn't play until Thursday, but not so. She's first up on Court 3 vs. Davis near 11:00 AM Eastbourne time.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 17. June 2014 21:06 

Local Time:
It's a Saturday final so the players can rest on the Sunday before Wimbledon.

No stream for Daniela's match :( and Lauren Davis has played twice already in court 3 in the qualies. Hope Daniela can have a good practice on it beforehand early tomorrow morning. At least Daniela's first on court so no waiting around as long as the weather is ok. She does tend to play better when she's first match on.

Hope it's not going to be a repeat of the Paszek match from a few years ago where Daniela found the outside courts much quicker than the show courts so was spraying the ball.

Daniela really needs this win tomorrow, like I said hopefully she is treating this tournament as her Wimbledon seeing as she won't be seeded next week.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 17. June 2014 21:38 

Local Time:
I'd have preferred Daniela to have played on Court 1 again as she's played and won there whereas Davis has played on Court 3 and will be used to the conditions and dimensions there. It's always awkward playing on an outside court against an opponent who's used to the conditions there and that Daniela probably won't know too much about as she's never played Davis and probably never practised with her either. Daniela will have to get used to the conditions and the opponent quickly. Davis has got to be respected as she's a good young player who's had good wins here and she had a good run at Indian Wells but if Daniela was given Davis in the second round before the draw then I'm sure she'd have taken it.

All tournaments in the week before a slam have Saturday finals.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 17. June 2014 22:03 

Local Time:
Hope it's not going to be a repeat of the Paszek match from a few years ago

I will happily take a repeat of the Paszek match I saw last year....you know, the double bagel!
(Yeah, I know, not likely.)

Let's Go, Daniela!

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 18. June 2014 12:14 

Local Time:
What's going on there?!? 3-6 0-2 :shock: only 33% 1st serves won..., 4 df

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 18. June 2014 12:22 

Local Time:
Knew this would happen. The change of court has messed Daniela up and Lauren knows this court well. Daniela getting thrashed and all I wanted was to see her play tomorrow. Really pissed off.

3-6 3-6 massive headbang. Just when we think she is playing well to put in a good run this happens. Now we wait for a shit Wimbledon draw. I presume Daniela played like crap and Lauren played the match of her life.

Another opportunity to move up the rankings squandered. She must be very frustrated like us.

I guess I won't be going tomorrow after all.:(

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 18. June 2014 15:17 

Local Time:
Bummer, eddy.
Guys, we are looking at a cold reality of sports. The days of Daniela making a big run in any tourney and occasionally winning one are down to a precious few. They can still happen; Dani still has game and her work ethic never wanes. But there's a lot of tread off of her tires. When she had the tremendous stretch in '11, she had recognized that she had to work on strengthening herself because the top players were overpowering her. It worked. I'm sure much of her training regimen involves trying to keep up with the big hitters. The problem is Dani's 31, and the big hitters are not just in the top 20. They're all over the map. Every which way you look, there's a Bencic, Vekic, Hampton, Garcia, Davis, Townsend, and so on. Daniela will keep having to face these young guns more and more. And as frustrating as it seems at the time, not every one of them wears the glass slippers and plays out of their minds against Dani and only Dani. They're playing their game, one that can beat a lot of people, and when one of them is on, it's harder and harder for her to handle. It is what it is, guys. There will be some good days for Daniela, maybe a few big runs. But when they happen, we have to really, really savor them.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 18. June 2014 17:00 

Local Time:
This is disappointing. I'm sure that the court was a factor as Davis had played on that before while Daniela hadn't and it's the sort of court that Davis has played on a lot while Daniela's generally played on bigger courts.
Just looking at the stats, the difference was the points won on 1st serve. They got a similar percentage in - 63% for Davis, 62% for Daniela - but Davis won 70% of her 1st serve points while Daniela won only 44%. It's going to be difficult to beat anyone winning only 44% of 1st serve points. Davis was 6/11 on BPs while Daniela was 3/8. Davis has beaten Azarenka this year and she's an up and-coming prospect who has won 23 matches this year so she'll be confident. We've got to give her credit. I'd like Davis to have played a great match to win it rather than Daniela playing a poor match to lose it.

At the 1988 French Open, the oldest quarter-finalist was 23 and the other seven were between 16 and 18. Daniela's 31 and she's still going. We've got to appreciate that Daniela's still playing, she still wins and she's still doing what she loves and she's respected by her peers.

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next