Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 218 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Career Grand Slam
 Post subject: Re: The Championships, Wimbledon
PostPosted: 22. June 2009 17:21 

Local Time:
|23. May 2024| 09:17
"It's not easy playing a girl 11 years younger than me," Oh dear me,Daniela :roll: Just how easy did you want your draw to be? :oops:

hellene fan
PostPosted: 22. June 2009 18:49 

Local Time:

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 22. June 2009 19:29 

Local Time:
I'm really glad that Daniela got through today. This win should give her confidence for the next matche(s) hopefully.
To be a set and break down and to play against the crowd isn't easy, but she fighted back and that is what her fans (we) want to see.

Next round won't be easy either. Hope Daniela could show a good performance. Would be really bad if she couldn't take the chance of the good draw.

Daniela H A N T U C H O V A
Rafael N A D A L

blue webmaster
PostPosted: 22. June 2009 19:57 

Local Time:
|23. May 2024| 08:17
Court 16
12:00 Start

Gentlemen's Doubles - 1st Round
Simone Bolelli(ITA) / Andreas Seppi(ITA) v. Daniel Nestor(CAN)[2] /Nenad Zimonjic(SRB)[2]

Ladies' Doubles
Daniela Hantuchova(SVK)[6] / Ai Sugiyama(JPN)[6] v. Tamira Paszek(AUT) /Olga Savchuk(UKR)

Ladies' Doubles
Jarmila Groth(AUS) / Renata Voracova(CZE) v. Gisela Dulko(ARG) /Shahar Peer(ISR)

Gentlemen's Doubles - 1st Round
Rogier Wassen(NED) / Igor Zelenay(SVK) v. Maximo Gonzalez(ARG) /Juan Monaco(ARG)

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 22. June 2009 20:07 

Local Time:
"It's not easy playing a girl 11 years younger than me," Oh dear me,Daniela :roll: Just how easy did you want your draw to be? :oops:

This is original answer from Daniela ():
Q. It was a tough situation for her, but potentially a tough situation for you as well, wasn't it?

DANIELA HANTUCHOVA:' Yeah, definitely. It was so tough. I just tried to, you know, keep focused and think about my game. But obviously, you know, it didn't feel very good being a set down and a couple games down and getting kicked by, you know, a girl 11 years younger than me, so...
I just tried to make sure that whatever happens, I win this match somehow (smiling).'

to benji: ..Dani didn't think about hard draw. She thought, that was bad, if she lost match with girl about 11 years younger.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 22. June 2009 21:29 

Local Time:
The draw is getting better for Daniela. Patty Schnyder, the next highest seed after Zheng in her R32 section, lost today to Ai Sugiyama 6-4 6-4. Meanwhile, perhaps the most threatening potential third round opponant, Tamarine Tanasugarn, also lost, by the same score-line, to Spanish qualifier Arantxa Parra Santonja.

Daniela's section (from R64 to R16):

ZHENG [16] v HANTUCHOVA
PARRA SANTONJA v SUGIYAMA
PAVLYUCHENKOVA [31] v VINCI
GROTH v S.WILLIAMS [2]

We'll have to wait and see whether or not Daniela can make use of this increasingly favourable draw.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 22. June 2009 23:51 

Local Time:
|23. May 2024| 02:17
^ Yes, the draw looks pretty appetizing right now even conceding that Daniela's no better than 50/50 to beat Zheng. Again, she could have drawn a tougher player than Zheng as early as round one.

I only saw the first set before I had to leave for work, but here are my thoughts keeping in mind they are more negative than they probably should be. I didn't like Daniela's strategy at all from the get go here; she was being way too aggressive instead of maybe sitting back more and letting an inexperienced player lose the match. I know that Daniela's style is to sit back from the baseline and dictate, hoping her gifted ground strokes will carry the day, and that style has served her well. But against this opponent on this day, I would have liked to see a more cautious, defensive approach. I also would have liked to see more variety in shot/serve selection from Daniela. Less kick-serves and the occasional lob or drop shot (even on grass) will make her traditional shots even more dangerous because her opponents will have to respect the other stuff. I was surprised by Robson's power at such a young age (I would wager Daniela was too). She was super impressive even though I kind of never doubted Daniela would prevail.
Again, I only saw the first set so I imagine I'm shortchanging Daniela and maybe overvaluing Robson a bit, too. Besides, I'm not sure there's any kind of a bad win from a set down, so bravo for that.

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 23. June 2009 01:17 

Local Time:
|23. May 2024| 16:17
Nice fighting spirit Dani had there
I like her attitude when she won...her grunting...
please play more solid game against Jie (who almost lost against Kristina Barrois)...

here the match statistics:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mOnmOn

Profile YIM

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 23. June 2009 05:52 

Local Time:
|23. May 2024| 18:17
Daniela really doesn't like the weight of expectation. I think most thought that Robson would play some good tennis, but ultimately everyone expected that Daniela would be the victor. As asj said, there would have been a fair bit of "locker-room" hype over this game - Daniela would have been pretty humiliated had she lost and it wouldn't be the first time she's been embarrassed in front of a Wimbledon crowd; Serena in 07, and then there was Asagoe :|

I'm pretty satisfied, given everything, that Dani managed to pull herself together in the second and third sets and come out on top. I think we'll see a much better Daniela in the next round, because by all accounts she's the underdog; Zheng made the semis here last year and Daniela was far from her best tennis in round one.

I forgot to quote. But what was the issue with Daniela's fist pumping in the second and third set? I don't really understand why it would have been an issue, or why it would have seemed rude or demeaning. Usually her fist pumps are quite dignified. Someone i can't stand is Ivanovic's... just the way the words roll out her mouth when she's pumping herself up. Annoys the crap out of me.

EDIT: Did anyone record the match?

"Talent is one step away from being lazy" -- Daniela Hantuchova

Site Admin
PostPosted: 23. June 2009 08:25 

Local Time:
3rd round should Daniela get there will most likely be against Tanasugarn.Unintentional jinx. :lol:

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 23. June 2009 08:36 

Local Time:
What i fnd very great is the net approach. She often should go to the net in her second round

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 23. June 2009 08:56 

Local Time:
I forgot to quote. But what was the issue with Daniela's fist pumping in the second and third set?There wasn't really an issue there for me. She was doing it frequently,but it wasn't aggressive or aimed at Laura,just consistently trying to encourage herself. Her body language was dreadful in the first two sets,and it was noticeable that she was playing and moving a lot better once she started the fistpumping. :P

What i fnd very great is the net approach. She often should go to the net in her second roundI was pleasantly surprised to see how often she was prepared to serve/volley. 16/17 points won at the net tells its own story,and she was even digging out the low FH volleys!

blue webmaster
PostPosted: 23. June 2009 14:46 

Local Time:
Hantuyama won 6-0 6-1
they had a MP at 5-0, but couldn't manage the double bagel.. :cry: :lol:
Great result!

And also the stats are very interesting (and one-sided).

Only one winner in the whole match? Either some idiot made the stats or the match was pretty boring..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 23. June 2009 19:09 

Local Time:
Coaching Report: Daniela Hantuchova vs Laura Robson
By Nick Bollettieri
Tuesday, 23 June 2009

Shouldn't Daniela Hantuchova have beaten Laura Robson more easily, given their rankings?

No. I've known Daniela since she was a small kid, she's studied for years at my academy. I ran into her outside Court Two yesterday just before the match and said to her: "Hey kid, you've got a lot of shit on your shoulders today, playing the Brit girl on the new court." She replied: "I know Nick, but I'm going to try to win." I said: "Daniela, that's bullshit. You can't think you're going to try to win. You ARE going to win. You have to believe that."

For the best part of two sets it didn't look too much like she believed it (credit to Laura) and that second set so very nearly got away. But the bottom line? She won. Her greater experience allowed her to pull herself together emotionally, then technically.

Has Laura Robson got the X-factor?

That would be a YES. Watching her match against Daniela, I was hugely impressed at how Laura, still only 15, controlled herself in that high-pressure environment of a first senior Slam, with added home pressure. She has a good serve that will become magnificent. (Ignore those double faults. They mean jack at this stage. She was just going for it).

Being a leftie gives her added dynamism, and when she learns to move that serve placement around a bit more and use the wide slice to the ad court, it will be an even more dangerous weapon. Her forehand is good, she drives the ball well and hits from the shoulder. If there was one area where I would look for improvement it is in Laura's movement. She's a big, strong girl for 15 and as she will need good conditioning.

In what areas can she improve her technique?

One thing that struck me was Laura's huge, circular backswing that is, frankly, just too big. If you didn't see it, visualise her two-handed drawing the racket back so her hands are someplace between her shoulders and head, which I think is too high and too complicated. When you're not hitting from a solid base – and any flaw in movement will lead to you being less steady – you will tend to make late contact and find it especially hard to hit the ball down the lines.

I would adjust the swing pattern to make it shorter and straighter. She already has a good touch on the ball. Now she needs to adding to her game by taking more balls in the air, and by volleying more. Working on lower body strength will also help to improve stability and movement.

Rafael N A D A L

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 23. June 2009 19:23 

Local Time:
Wednesday 2009-06-24
Start: 12:00
Court 3

Jie Zheng(CHN)[16] v. Daniela Hantuchova(SVK)

Fernando Verdasco(ESP)[7] v. Kristof Vliegen(BEL)

Simone Bolelli(ITA) v. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga(FRA)[9]

Rafael N A D A L

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 218 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next