Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela will be player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : WTA Tour

Author Enter your Message here

Site Admin
 Post subject: Henin's retirement
PostPosted: 15. May 2008 12:52 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 12:37
Personally I didn't expect this to happen. And I don't understand how somebody as young as 25 who is the current no. 1, defender/holder of 9 titles can quit just like that. And right before Roland Garros, Wimbledon (which she never won) and the olympics. This just makes me wonder if there is more to the retirement than what she is telling the public.

Even though I have never been a Henin fan, not even close, I am still sad to see her leave tennis.

What do you guys think?

Profile WWW

hellene fan
 Post subject: Re: Henin's retirement
PostPosted: 15. May 2008 13:06 

Local Time:
surely is huge unexpected news.
i also believe that is something more from reasons she mentioned.
dont know what exactly,but since said these statements
everyone must accept and respect her choise.
henin was neither warm or cold to me,but surely a great
talented player,pleasurable to watch her.
wta missed a big star.i wish to her same succes in her
new life as her professional

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 15. May 2008 19:12 

Local Time:
Yeah 25 is really young to retire, but on the other hand, many great players retired when they were very young. I think it has to do with their motivation. Some players can't retire and want to play til they are 40, others retire already with 25.

Daniela H A N T U C H O V A
Rafael N A D A L

blue webmaster
PostPosted: 15. May 2008 20:29 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 11:37
i can only repeat what i already wrote to christina on icq:

it's a big surprise to me, though im not extremely sad or something. Henin was just a really good player to me, so something will be missing at women's tennis i guess.

Tennis is a hard business and she has won a lot of titles and Grand Slams, so this is a good ending of her career. rather stop when you're at your peak instead of slowly falling down.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 16. May 2008 00:07 

Local Time:
When I first heard the news on the radio, it was a shock and something that I didn't expect at all.
I know that she had quite a few injuries and was in a slump, but i was still surprised. Chris Evert said she knew it was time to quit when she wasn't bothered about losing and I think that there's a big element of that in Justine's decision. She had been thrashed by Shazza and Serena, but I think the losses to Schiavone and Safina were more instrumental in her decision, because if she was losing to them and not bothered about it or even just losing to them, unable to raise her game against them, failing in the clutch or just simply unable to play at the level she was wanted to, then that would be a factor in her decision. I also think that Justine loved playing and competing and I think that in the last few months that wasn't the case and that she wanted to get out while she still had good feelings for the game rather than it being just a job or a hassle. There's also the element that she wanted to go out as the champ, especially at Roland Garros, rather than be deposed in a tame loss early on.

There are also personal factors like her reconciliation with her family and the desire to do other things in her life.

Justine's been a great champion, a supreme competitor and a player of incredible skill and I'll miss her a lot.

- a decent enough summary of reasons to retire.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 16. May 2008 01:24 

Local Time:
I certainly had the same sort of feelings as most of you here. When i first heard the news I was shocked as well, it didn't seem to make sense why someone who is at the top of their profession, and by quite a margin would want to quit. Henin to me was always just a great player, I never was that big a fan of hers but I respected her immense talent that she had and for someone of her size and stature to live with players like the Williams sisters and the Sharapova's of this world was an amazing acheivement and she will certainly be missed by the WTA and the tennis world as a whole.

Despite being 25 she has had nearly a decade of being on the tour and being a proffesional athlete for that length of time will of takens it toll mentally and physically. The off court issues with her family and so on I believe played a major part in this decision and maybe she just wants to make up for lost time with her family and to start a fresh after her divorce.

Scott

http://www.facebook.com/scotthatley1987
http://twitter.com/scotthatley87

Profile WWW

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 16. May 2008 15:09 

Local Time:
I was looking in the internet and found this.... Do you agree with the people in this thread?? I'm curious...

By the way, check the wta website...

°•.•°o.O ⓓⓐⓝⓘⓔⓛⓐ ⓗⓐⓝⓣⓤ©ⓗⓞⓥⓐ .•° °•. ⓙⓤⓢⓣⓘⓝⓔ ⓗⓔⓝⓘⓝ O.o°•.•°
°•. ⓕⓔⓓⓔⓡⓔⓡ ⓜⓤⓡⓡⓐⓨ ©ⓘⓑⓤⓛⓚⓞⓥⓐ ⓢ©ⓗⓘⓐⓥⓞⓝⓔ ⓖⓐⓤⓓⓘⓞ ⓙⓞⓗⓐⓝⓢⓢⓞⓝ .•°

"I have a weak spot for Italians for whatever reason" - Daniela
"Oh really? I have a weak spot for top 50, Slovakian tennis players" - Albi

Profile WWW

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 16. May 2008 22:02 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 05:37
i was absolutely floored by the news of her decision! i didnt believe it, and i almost still cant. i was a fan of hers, not a really big fan, but i routed for her. i hate to say this but it is almost like she knew she was going to lose her no.1 spot and she didnt want to see that happen so she quit. i know that sounds awful, but thats how i see it kind of.

anyways, i wish her luck in her future.

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 17. May 2008 00:21 

Local Time:
This was one kick in the teeth when i heard it from a friend. I thought she was kidding for a second. Its a real shame. I have her down as one of my fav players. She did well and should be recorded as one of the best. As for my opinion for her sudden departure. Well i think we should look at the facts. She was no1 in the world, had won a bunch of grand slams and other tourneys, RG and Wimby is just around the corner basically and the olympics is coming soon. Everyone would think well "maybe that was a stupid time to retire" yes? I disagree. She left because of lack of motivation and playing these important tourneys would only stress the fact even more. If she has lack of motivation the there for she would only be playing at 50% and not 100%. And for to have a good result at the likes of RG and Wimby and especially the olympics (every 4 years) you have to put in 110%. Before retiring at this point of the year she really must be having problems.

I'd say this was a very good move Justine. I want to wish you the best of luck in your future. Farewell. And like what Mathius always tells everyone.

Please Stay Safe

Mathius

Stay Safe all from Mathius

Profile WWWYIM

Tier IV Title Holder
PostPosted: 18. May 2008 01:21 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 21:37
really surprising news!! i didn't expect her to call it quits at this stage, especially when she is ranked number 1
but i wish Justine all the best on her retirement and for her future!

Member since 27.01.2006

Profile WWW

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 22. May 2008 17:17 

Local Time:

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 26. May 2008 20:53 

Local Time:
I don't believe she will come back.... generally speaking, Henin is not the kind of person who comes back on her decisions

°•.•°o.O ⓓⓐⓝⓘⓔⓛⓐ ⓗⓐⓝⓣⓤ©ⓗⓞⓥⓐ .•° °•. ⓙⓤⓢⓣⓘⓝⓔ ⓗⓔⓝⓘⓝ O.o°•.•°
°•. ⓕⓔⓓⓔⓡⓔⓡ ⓜⓤⓡⓡⓐⓨ ©ⓘⓑⓤⓛⓚⓞⓥⓐ ⓢ©ⓗⓘⓐⓥⓞⓝⓔ ⓖⓐⓤⓓⓘⓞ ⓙⓞⓗⓐⓝⓢⓢⓞⓝ .•°

"I have a weak spot for Italians for whatever reason" - Daniela
"Oh really? I have a weak spot for top 50, Slovakian tennis players" - Albi

Profile WWW

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : WTA Tour