Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela will be player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : WTA Tour

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Career Grand Slam
 Post subject: WTA Tour Season 2009
PostPosted: 5. January 2009 17:30 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 10:16
The 2009 season begins with two international events in Brisbane and Auckland. With the exception of Dementieva and Ivanovic, none of the top players are in action this first week, but the competition will certainly still be high.
Ivanovic and Azarenka headline in Brisbane, while Dementieva and Wozniacki turn their attention to Auckland.

Brisbane International, Brisbane

Ivanovic [1] v Mauresmo [5]
Bartoli [3] v Kanepi [6]
Schiavone [8] v Hantuchova [4]
Sugiyama [9] v Azarenka [2]

ASB Classic, Auckland

Dementieva [1] v Peer [5]
Medina-Garrigues [3] v Pavlyuchenkova [7]
Suarez-Navarro [8] v Wozniak [4]
Vaidisova [6] v Wozniacki [2]

Should be an exciting week, but the best tennis will surely come next week in Sydney when the likes of Serena Williams and Dinara Safina commence their 2009 seasons.

Career Grand Slam
 Post subject: Re: WTA Tour Season 2009
PostPosted: 7. January 2009 11:29 

Local Time:
Ivanovic is struggling against qualifier Roberta Vinci in the second round of the Brisbane International. The top-seed and former world number 1 is down a set and a break after 1 and 1/2 hours of play.
The WTA Tour site has already assumed that Ana will go through, stating that "Mauresmo faces Ivanovic next".
Might not be the best start to Ana's Australian Open preparations.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 7. January 2009 12:13 

Local Time:
Ivanovic is struggling against qualifier Roberta Vinci in the second round of the Brisbane International. The top-seed and former world number 1 is down a set and a break after 1 and 1/2 hours of play.
The WTA Tour site has already assumed that Ana will go through, stating that "Mauresmo faces Ivanovic next".
Might not be the best start to Ana's Australian Open preparations.

Ana saved two match points at *4-5 15-40 down in the second set, and has gone on to win the set 7-5, so that could be the turning point of the match.

Edit: Ivanovic wins 6-7[4] 7-5 6-1

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 11. January 2009 11:55 

Local Time:
Maria Sharapova will miss the Australian Open due to her shoulder injury, and therefore the opportunity to defend her title. The Russian has not played since August, and is now missing her second grand slam event in a row.

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 15. January 2009 02:43 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 04:16
Maria Sharapova will miss the Australian Open due to her shoulder injury, and therefore the opportunity to defend her title. The Russian has not played since August, and is now missing her second grand slam event in a row.

WOW!

too me, it seems like when one big named player is out for awhile with an injury or something it seems like the tour takes on a new dynamic. sorry, im not sure if that made any sense....

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 15. January 2009 13:05 

Local Time:

WOW!

too me, it seems like when one big named player is out for awhile with an injury or something it seems like the tour takes on a new dynamic. sorry, im not sure if that made any sense....

Yes it did make sense! I understand what you mean.
If Maria was scheduled to play then she would probably be in the 'favourites' group. Since she is not it gives someone else the opportunity to take her position.
I think Venus Williams is the favourite for the Open. She won in Doha fairly comfortably, and dispatched of Jelena Jankovic in the Hong Kong team exhibition competition earlier this month.
Serena was also a favourite in my mind but since her poor loss to Dementieva today I'm not so sure she has as much chance of actually taking the title (although 2005 and 2007 suggest differently).
She won in 2003 too so maybe she will continue the 'odd year' trend and win this year aswell.

Site Admin
PostPosted: 15. January 2009 22:02 

Local Time:
|28. March 2024| 11:16
Well Venus is my favorite as well for the title. She won YEC, the exhibition, and seems so focus to get the two major titles missing: Aus Open and French. I wouldn't be surprised if she won those two this year but not Wimbledon.

Yes Dementieva has played great this year, so def. a favorite as well. But going into her 10th match of the season this night, will she be well rested?

And Serena, well, personally I think she tanked the match against Dementieva. I def. do not approve of it, but she is so slam minded, she has the personality to do so. I don't think we can used that match as an indication of anything

Jankovic, well she seems to be getting to the later stages all the time, but her record against the top players sucks. Of all the top players, I think she is the least favorite actually

Ivanovic, I don't think she'll find form. Just don't see it happen.

My dream winner (other than Hantuchova of course) Azarenka. She has so much potential. I saw most of her matches in Brisbane. She was on fire. She is aggressive. The other day I saw her Olympics match vs. Venus. SHe lost 63 64 but it was such a close match

Profile WWW

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 16. January 2009 00:46 

Local Time:

Yes Dementieva has played great this year, so def. a favorite as well. But going into her 10th match of the season this night, will she be well rested?

And Serena, well, personally I think she tanked the match against Dementieva. I def. do not approve of it, but she is so slam minded, she has the personality to do so. I don't think we can used that match as an indication of anything

Dementieva just won a lot of lucky points.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 16. January 2009 12:11 

Local Time:

Dementieva just won a lot of lucky points.

I don't think you can win a match 6-3 6-1 by winning alot of 'lucky points'. Dementieva played well, and Serena probably did give the match-up as Christina suggested.

-Dementieva has won the title, beating Safina in the final, 6-3 2-6 6-1.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 16. January 2009 19:21 

Local Time:
Serena said that Henin only beat her at the 07 US Open because Henin "made a lot of lucky shots."

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 16. January 2009 20:04 

Local Time:
Serena said that Henin only beat her at the 07 US Open because Henin "made a lot of lucky shots."

Yes, that's Serena talking though. She always undermines her opponants if she loses... She didn't play well, it was me; I didn't move well; I gave it too her etc.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 16. January 2009 21:37 

Local Time:
Serena would have won every match she's ever played if her opponents hadn't been luckier and/or healthier than her.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 16. January 2009 22:18 

Local Time:
Serena would have won every match she's ever played if her opponents hadn't been luckier and/or healthier than her.

I didn't realise you were a Serena fan.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 17. January 2009 03:49 

Local Time:
:haha: :lol: Do you think I'm Sir Mix-a-Lot or something?

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 17. January 2009 13:19 

Local Time:
:haha: :lol: Do you think I'm Sir Mix-a-Lot or something?

You tell me.

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : WTA Tour

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next