Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela will be player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : WTA Tour

Author Enter your Message here

blue webmaster
 Post subject: WTA Player's Blogs
PostPosted: 24. July 2008 14:08 

Local Time:
|19. April 2024| 05:38
, here can be posted the player's blogs, if possible as an attachement, so they don't get lost in case they get removed from the WTA site.

Let's see what it brings.

Tier IV Title Holder
 Post subject: Re: WTA Player's Blogs
PostPosted: 24. July 2008 14:41 

Local Time:
|19. April 2024| 06:38
mucho, mucho thanks! :)

I just thought it would be fun reading the players blog here.

Here's Daniela's blog:

Hantuchova Blogs From Bali

BALI, Indonesia - It has been a year of resurgence for Daniela Hantuchova. Not only did she rekindle the magic in Indian Wells, claiming her second career Tier I title at the Pacific Life Open, but she has also spent some time back in the Top 10. This week, she seeks her second singles title of the year as the No.2 seed, and competes with Lindsay Davenport in the doubles. Follow along in the latest Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Player Blog.

-----
Monday, September 10, 2007
Hello everyone, and welcome to my blog!
I was looking forward to coming back to Bali for a long time. I played here for the first time last year, and it's just very beautiful and peaceful. I really, really like it. It's almost hard to realize there's a tournament going on :)
I arrived here Friday around lunch time with my mom and my coach. My mom comes with me to quite a few tournaments during the year, and she definitely wanted to be back here this year. There's a really beautiful resort, a nice beach and the people are incredibly friendly. The whole atmosphere is just amazing. I'm also here with my coach, Angel Jimenez. Hopefully I'll have a good tournament!
I've had a good year - I've been back in the Top 10, which was one of my goals this year. I wasn't thrilled with my results in the summer, so I am just trying to leave it behind me and refocus. There are still lots of opportunities to do well the rest of the season. Obviously I'd like to be in the Top 10 at the end of the season, and I hope to start here. I came here early and have been practicing a lot, and getting used to the conditions. But I'm not putting too much pressure on myself.
I have a first round bye in the singles, but I actually played my first match today in doubles, with Lindsay Davenport - and we won. It's really fun and a big honor to play with Lindsay. She asked me in New Haven if I wanted to play here - and when you get asked by someone like that, you just can't say no. I'm so excited that she has decided to come back. It's unbelievable how good shape she is in just a few months after having her child. It's great for tennis that she is back.
As for the singles, I had a look at the draw and every match will be tough. We will see how far I get. Hopefully I can get some good wins here this week.
It's already past 7pm right now so I'll probably do some stretches, have a shower and a nice dinner and maybe relax by the pool... we've been hanging around the pool quite a bit. I know the sun isn't good before you play but when you're not, it's so nice. Tomorrow we're planning on getting massages. It's a tough life :)
I don't play tomorrow but I'm around, so I'll definitely talk to you all then.
Have a good night!
Daniela
-----
Tuesday, September 11, 2007
Hello again everyone!
Although I didn't play any matches today, I did practice quite a bit. I had my first session at 8am, then another one around noon. The rest of the day I took it easy, just because I play singles and doubles tomorrow. One of the things we did later was get a Balinese massage in a resort close to the hotel, which was just great.
I love the culture here. The religion is all about being at peace with nature, a much different way of approaching life than I'm used to! It's so simple, relaxed, and they appreciate the simple things. We're all so used to rushing through life hoping to get certain things, which here are not necessarily as important as the simple things. Being here really makes you see that a little bit more. Obviously, the food here is wonderful too! The fresh juice... a perfect way to live life :)
Speaking of rushing through everything, there was my journey to Bali! From New York, I got to go home for one day - just to see family and catch up - and then it was time to come here. It wasn't a very long visit but hopefully I'll see them all again soon. Of course, New York was great. It's a wonderful city, there's always a lot of things happening. I don't think there could be a bigger contrast between that city and this city. They're two completely different places on Earth and both are really special. But for me right now, this is the place to be!
Lindsay won her first singles match back convincingly - but I'm not surprised. We practiced a few times already this week and she was hitting the ball really well. I was quite sure she was going to do well this week. Once a champion...
We have a good relationship. I'd say she is one of my friends on the Tour. My closest friends on the Tour are probably Martina Hingis, Ana Ivanovic and Ai Sugiyama. Martina and I come from the same place and we also spend lots of time practicing together. She's just a great person to be around. Ana is a good friend, also. Ai Sugiyama is definitely one of my best friends. I try to be nice to everyone. It's important, also when you're playing doubles, to have a lot of fun.
Just like last year, I did the fashion show here this year. It was a fun experience and very easy to do. They try to make everything as easy and simple as possible for the players, which is great of course. I've done some modeling things outside of the Tour, too, for a change - but I'd never trade it for being a tennis player!
Tomorrow is going to be a busy day. I play my first singles match, as well as my second doubles match with Lindsay. I'll just be trying to do my best on the court as always. I have to be ready and do the right things. Hopefully it all goes well.
I'll talk to you all afterwards!
Daniela
-----
Wednesday, September 12, 2007
Well it was quite a long day today! I played my first singles match today against Elise Tamaela, and I won in straight sets, so I'm pretty happy. Even though I got on the court quite late, I was really looking forward to it for a few days now so the waiting around wasn't a problem at all. I really wanted to play a competitive match and I did, and I'm particularly happy with how I was serving and how I was fighting for each point. For the first match in a few weeks, I felt very good. And even though I'm trying to forget about the US Open, I really wanted to do the right things today. It was a fresh start.
It's nice to get a good win under my belt and be in the quarterfinals now. But it doesn't mean I'm not going to keep practicing a lot this week - there are still a lot of things I'd like to do better. Even though I have a day off tomorrow I will still be practicing a few times, but of course not overdoing it, as I'll probably be having another busy day the next day, so I'll need my rest as well.
Later at night Lindsay and I played our second doubles match, and we won again in straight sets. It was really fun. But we finished quite late. I just came off the court now and it's already 10 or 11pm. Now I'll do some stretching, cool down and shower, then hopefully I'll be able to fall asleep soon. I would love to sleep in tomorrow. In addition to my practicing, I also have a cooking activity for the tournament, but I don't know when it is! I'll find out before I go to bed though... I actually love cooking, I am really getting into it lately. My mom has been teaching me a few things... hopefully it will all go well tomorrow!!
Well I think I'm ready for a nice sleep now...
Until tomorrow,
Daniela
-----
Thursday, September 13, 2007
Another nice day in Bali...
Because I had such a late night last night, I slept in quite a bit... and missed the cooking lessons I was supposed to do this morning! I was pretty disappointed but I must have been really exhausted from the day before. It's unfortunate as I was looking forward to it. But I had a busy afternoon anyway, doing an interview with ESPN, practicing for two hours, going to the gym for about 40 minutes, then a massage. Because I play singles and doubles tomorrow I didn't do too much.
I've got to talk about how friendly the people are here. From the housekeeper to the restaurant staff they are all so nice and polite no matter if you're winning or losing. They just wish you a nice game and not good luck - they just want you to enjoy yourself. It's really different to our culture. I had a nice experience today when we got back to the hotel from practice - the housekeeper was still in the room and when he realized it was me he told me he couldn't believe it was me in real life, and we all ended up talking for like 40 minutes! Usually, you just want your privacy when you get back, but he was so sweet we didn't even mind. We all just kept chatting. He was just such a happy and friendly person that we did not care at all about the time - we just enjoyed his company. Again, people here just appreciate the simple pleasures, and he proved it. You can be happy whether you're a tennis player, housekeeper, massage therapist - it makes you think!
And I have to say the fruit and all of the tropical food here is unbelievable. I seem to eat it for breakfast, lunch, dinner... the juice... it is so much better here compared to back in Europe! Of course, their fried rice is my favorite :)
Of course, where I live is beautiful too. I spend most of my year in Monte Carlo; I moved there mainly for the practicing conditions and of course because it's so beautiful. It's right in the middle of everything too. I spend time in Barcelona and of course a little bit back home in Slovakia with my family, but I am mainly in Monte Carlo. I hope to spend more time with my family at the end of the year.
I am playing Ayumi Morita in the singles quarterfinals tomorrow. I'll have to be ready as she is having a great week. I'll try to do my best and play my game.
Daniela
-----
Friday, September 14, 2007
Good day from Bali!
Well more like good night, it's pretty late here... today was another packed day, starting with my quarterfinal against Ayumi Morita, which I won in straight sets, so I'm happy about that. I was supposed to play my doubles match later on but we had to pull out because Lindsay was injured. I also did an autograph session for Commonwealth Bank, which was fun, and of course practice... a busy day!
I was very happy with my match with Morita. Apart from the first few games, I was in control and was able to execute just about everything I was trying for. Still there are things to work on of course, but today just about everything felt good. It was pretty hot as well, so I'm glad it was pretty quick, just so I can save a bit more energy for the semifinals tomorrow. Coming to Bali early to get used to the conditions definitely paid off today, I'm glad we made that decision.
Once you get to this stage of a tournament anything can happen. I don't think of it as another semifinal. It's a nice position to be in, but I just try to do the best I can in every match, just taking it one at a time. You can't think too far ahead because you can quickly be out of the tournament that way. I'll be playing Sorana Cirstea, whom I've never seen play before - my coach went and watched her play so that will help, I hope. I just have to focus and we'll see what happens!
It's a shame Lindsay had to pull out. I was at the tournament anyway to do press and stretches, so waiting was not a problem; but I was really looking forward to the match. Bad luck for Lindsay though, hopefully she'll be okay for her singles. I went to hit with my coach a little bit more so I still got some more tennis in.
I want to say again how the atmosphere of this place is just incredible (I can't stop talking about it!) Every time I walk to the courts there are 50 people just wishing me luck on the way. I'm on the other side of the resort so I walk across the whole thing each day. And by the time I get to the courts I'm so relaxed and happy each time. Just like our housekeeper the other day. It's just so nice :)
I'm going to get some sleep now. I'll talk to you all tomorrow...
Daniela
-------------
Saturday, September 15, 2007
Hello again everyone!
Obviously, I'm very excited to reach the final. It's my second of the year, after Indian Wells. I'm just going to go out there, enjoy myself and go for my shots. I really believe it's just another match every time I go out there - no pressure.
Cirstea was a tough opponent today, but I feel like I played much better than the other matches this week. After I figured out her game a little, I felt a lot more comfortable and was able to start going for my shots quite a bit, and then it all clicked. I still have some things to work on but overall I'm very satisfied. Also, I think preparing early in these conditions was key. I think some of the girls do get a little bit tired, but I've been feeling fine during my matches. So although I'm thrilled to get this far, I can't say I'm surprised; when you put in the hard work, it's only a matter of time before it pays off.
Today I slept in a little bit more, because I stayed up pretty late last night to write the blog :) After I got up we had a beautiful breakfast, a nice walk on the beach, went to the gym, warmed up on the court and had lunch before my match. At breakfast it was funny, we were taking pieces of bread and throwing them in the little pond next to the restaurant, which has fish in it. They were loving it.
During our walk today we went outside of the resort. All week I've been talking a lot about how the people here are so friendly and everything is beautiful, but it just takes a few steps away to see that it's a completely different world off the grounds. You see people striving to have a roof over their heads, struggling with just everyday things... again, we are so worried about rushing through things and getting things done but we never stop to think that there are many less fortunate than us out there, even just outside this resort. It opens your eyes. It makes me think, what's one tennis match when there are people wondering what they're going to eat out there? You just have to be thankful for whatever you have. I think I'm so lucky to be playing tennis and doing what I love.
I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's final. I just want to enjoy it and we'll see what happens. It'll be special. Lindsay is such a great champion and I've got so much respect for her. It's just great to see her back.
Until tomorrow,
Daniela
-----
Sunday, September 16, 2007
Well unfortunately I wasn't able to come away with the title today, but it was really a great match. It was about two hours and just very high quality. All the credit to her and the way she has been playing though - incredible. To have a baby and come back here and be in such great shape and on top of her game again, it's so tough. She was serving so well and got herself out of trouble so many times with it. I think in the beginning of the third it was very even but she got an early break and stepped it up from there. But all in all, it was a very good match and I have to give credit to Lindsay.
Although I lost today, this has definitely been such a great experience. I have had a wonderful week and no complaints whatsoever! Playing Lindsay in the final was very special for me - she is such a great champion, and I've got a lot of respect for her. This is a beautiful place and brings me down to Earth in so many ways, especially after a hectic time in New York.
I really enjoyed doing the blog this week. I'm glad to share my experiences with my fans. It has been great to give you all more of an idea of what it is like on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour. Thanks to all of you who read along and in general just for all the support over the years, it all means a lot to me. I'll definitely do this again, maybe here again next year! This was the perfect place.
I'll probably stick around here another day. I'd like to get a massage and go for a swim - finally! Just a bit of time for myself to unwind from this week. And then I'm off to India for my next tournament!
Thanks again for reading and I'll talk to you all soon :)
Daniela

Tier IV Title Holder
PostPosted: 24. July 2008 14:58 

Local Time:
Michaella Krajicek's 's-Hertogenbosch Blog

's-HERTOGENBOSCH, The Netherlands - Michaella Krajicek has come full circle since she first blogged for us 12 months ago. A week after we last heard from her she had a breakthrough fortnight at Wimbledon, reaching her first Grand Slam quarterfinal, and eventually cracked the Top 30; she suffered a left wrist injury during the off-season and had a difficult start to 2008, but last week in Birmingham she snapped out of a losing streak, and now she returns to the site of her biggest triumph and brings us all along in the latest player blog.

-----

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Hello again everyone!! It's been a while...

There really is a lot to catch up on since last year. Of course, after I last blogged I had a really good Wimbledon and a couple of solid results. I definitely hoped for more in that time, however. What was really disappointing was that I injured my wrist while practicing in December, and that threw me off for a while. It was a good three or four months before I could really start practicing well again, and it took much longer for me to get my game back to where it was. But I have been working hard, and last week in Birmingham it definitely started to pay off. I was so happy to get my first win of the season there! And I'm hoping to do well here this week, and just keep improving.

It's really tough to stay positive when you're injured. I really took a dip in my game and my confidence on the court. I think I managed to stay optimistic though. The wrist was pretty bad at first; I hit a ball late in practice and it was pretty irritated and swollen, and didn't fully heal for a few months. It's one of the most sensitive spots for a tennis player because a lot of things can damage it, even just playing too much. I have had to get my arms stronger in the time since and it hasn't hurt at all recently, so I'm just looking forward right now. These experiences make you stronger, not just on the court but off of it as well :)

I'm very happy to be back on grass! It suits my game. I like short points, I like going for it. Grass is perfect for that. And I've changed my service motion a bit in the last few weeks, which I hope will help me.

I got to 's-Hertogenbosch on Friday night and watched some of the soccer, which was so cool - Holland is playing unbelievably well! We were at my brother's house and his kids were all dressed up in orange, it was amazing. Then I did some laundry from Birmingham... We drove to the tournament on Saturday for my first practice and today I practiced twice more, once with my brother Richard and once with other hitting partners. I'm happy my brother is here, he obviously has lots of experience and knows this surface well. His former coach is also helping.

I have my first match on Monday against Ai Sugiyama. I've never played her in singles but have played her a few times in doubles. She has been around a long time! You see it in the programs at tournaments how long she has been playing at this level and how successful she has been, it's very impressive. She probably likes grass too because she has a good return and hits the ball pretty flat; I'm just going to try to serve well and hopefully I can make it difficult for her!

I'm also playing doubles this week with Marina Erakovic. We've played together before, and even won the US Open in the juniors. I transitioned from juniors to the Tour earlier than she did and so we didn't see each other for about two years, but now she's been playing on the Tour and has been doing really, really well this year, and so I'm hoping we'll join forces again more regularly! We lost first round at the French Open so I'm hoping we can rebound here, and also at Wimbledon. We're both very aggressive players and I think that's why we're better on faster courts. We love just going for it. I think we're a pretty strong team :)

Of course, when you're playing in your home country, you're kept very busy by the media. I did some interviews today and one of them was something different, for "De Telegraaf". They interviewed me through a camera and it was over 30 minutes of questions, mainly from fans. I also spoke to Studio Sport, the biggest sports channel here. I went to visit the Ordina sponsor village (Ordina is the title sponsor of the tournament) and had an interview with Stanley Franker, the former Davis Cup coach (I think he was also a coach for the Tennis Federation). I signed lots and lots of autographs today too (I've attached a picture)... Tonight I had a nice dinner in the hotel with a few of the Dutch girls; they're hoping to play more on the Tour now, which would be nice, because I like the company! Although they both lost today, they've been playing pretty well, so I don't think it'll be long until they do. It was a nice ending to the day.

Well that's about it for today! Until tomorrow...

Misa
-----

Monday, June 16, 2008

Well today was a long match, that's for sure! I'm happy to say I was able to beat Ai Sugiyama, but it was a tough fight. I thought I played really, really well until I was up a set and 4-2. I had an unbelievable amount of break chances there and didn't take them, got a bit negative on myself and she started playing better and better. She won that set and was up 5-2 in the third, but I kept mentally strong and won it in a tie-break. She has lots of experience and is a great grass court player, so this was a really good win for me. And when I was down a match point serving 4-5, I hit three aces in a row - which felt great. At that point I was so angry with myself and just forced myself to go for it, and it worked! Of course I don't want to play out of anger all the time but it definitely gives me confidence that when I focus, I can survive out there.

Although the match was pretty long I really needed to loosen up, so I went out and hit for about 15 minutes afterwards. My brother Richard and his coach, Rohan Goetzka, who worked with him almost his whole career, were also there today, which is great. After that I did a lot of press, maybe an hour or so... Other than that I watched some of the tennis and unfortunately my fellow Dutch players Haase and Verkerk lost! It was a pity. I thought they played well, though.

Someone you may see me with this week is my new dog... he's so funny. He's a chihuahua :) I adpoted him when I was in Amelia Island, from Animals In Need USA. Actually, his back story is really sad. His former owner broke his front legs on purpose and left him in the trash... but he was still alive, and when they found him he needed eight months of rehabilitation... and he's doing really well now. I actually saw him the first day he was up for adoption, and I had to get him. He is very special. His old name was Rudy, but I've renamed him Zorro! I think it's a nice name. He's a little guy but he's pretty strong, just like the character Zorro... well maybe not physically strong, maybe he can't really protect me by attacking anyone... but he does bark really loudly! I never thought I would get a chihuahua but I couldn't pass him up, and he travels with me about half the time I'm away from home. He is very good company! Of course, he's with me a lot this week.

Tomorrow I have my first doubles match of the week with Marina. It's a day off from singles but we're definitely hoping to make a run in doubles this week.

Time for some questions, then I'll talk to you all again tomorrow...

Good night!

Misa

What is your favorite Grand Slam? - Brian, England
Wimbledon. Definitely. I love everything about the tournament. I also love everything about England. It's not far from here and I love English accents. And whereas some people don't enjoy the weather I'm completely fine with it, because it's pretty much the same as it is here in Holland!

What languages do you speak? Simon, Belgium
I speak Dutch, Czech and English. Depending on who I'm with I speak either Dutch or Czech mostly. Like when I'm with my family I speak Czech because most of them are Czech, but with Richard and his kids I speak Dutch, because they speak Dutch to their kids. And of course I speak a lot of English on the Tour.

What is your best memory so far, in tennis or life? - Anne, USA
I would say jumping off a tower when I was in Auckland... sort of like bungee jumping except you're tied from your back, so it feels much more like falling. It's scarier than bungee jumping! The tower is 192 meters high. It's the craziest thing I've ever done for sure, and probably the most memorable. Actually, they didn't have enough people wanting to do it (I'm not surprised!) so I got to go a second time for free. It was such an unbelievable, scary feeling!!

-----

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Although today was a day off from singles, I definitely kept busy :) Marina and I had our first round doubles match and played really solid. The match looks pretty quick from the score but we had to play really well to earn that score. And we hadn't seen our opponents before, which is pretty rare, considering we've both been around for a few years now! I'm feeling really good about how we're playing as a team, and looking forward to the rest of our matches this week.

Our doubles match was pretty late on the schedule so I had lots of time during the day. In the morning I did some fitness, had a hit with Marina, had a short massage and watched some of the matches. It's important for me to stay in as good shape as possible, because I have had some injuries in the past and I definitely don't want to go through that again. I also met Charles van Commenee, the chief of the Dutch Olympic Committee, which was really cool. I qualified for the Dutch Olympic Team last week, which is a huge honor, and it will probably be the most memorable moment of my tennis career when I go to Beijing.

Tomorrow I have my second round singles against Sania Mirza, as well as our second doubles match against two Dutch girls, which will be fun :) And I know Mirza pretty well from the juniors and the last few years, so no surprises there.

I'm just about to leave to go to the player party. I love the player party at this tournament, and I hope there will be great food like always. Last year there was a lot of dancing too, which will be fun, but I have to take it easy considering I've got a big day coming up. I'll tell you about it all tomorrow!

Misa

Which would you prefer, winning a Grand Slam or becoming No.1? - Art, The Netherlands
From the time I was young, I always wanted to win a Grand Slam. Wimbledon was my favorite but any Grand Slam is obviously a huge accomplishment. But No.1 would also be great. I'd say becoming No.1 is No.2 to winning a Grand Slam.

Who are your best friends on the WTA and ATP? - Helen, Belgium
I know all of the Dutch players so well, I would have to say them, both on the women's and men's tours. But since not a lot of the Dutch girls go to a lot of the tournaments I go to, I'm pretty good friends with some of the Czech players.

Besides Holland and Czech Republic, where else would you live? - James
There are two places. Either England - probably London - or New York City. There's always something going on in NYC. There are fancy places like Soho where you can just escape, and not just there obviously. It seems like there's always something big happening somewhere in the city. It's a great place to be, especially for young people.

-----
-----

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

It's a little late here... it has been such a long day!

I played both singles and doubles today, and I'm really happy to report I won both. My singles match with Sania Mirza went really well. I could tell she was a bit off her rhythm, as this is still just her second tournament back after being off the Tour with a wrist injury, but I felt like I was playing really solid. It was pretty windy, which was strange because the first few days here haven't been windy at all, but I still served well, was steady from the baseline and broke her when I got my chances. Marina and I had our doubles match against my two fellow Dutch players as well. We were having lots of fun out there. We were very solid and aggressive and it went pretty quickly towards the end.

I'm really happy with how things are working out this week. I don't feel I'm at my best just yet, but I'm definitely playing better and better each match I play, and I hope to keep going. Tomorrow in the quarters I play Tanasugarn, a little bit of a surprise because she wasn't the seed in that section, but a tough player anyway. I've never played her but she has been playing for a while now, and we'll just have to see how it goes! I'm just taking it match by match - it's hard not to, especially after the start I had to the season. But I'm just excited to be winning matches again, and hopefully I can go one round further.

Even though I played two matches today I don't feel physically tired, but I do feel mentally tired right now. Although I had plenty of down time in between matches, I did plenty of interviews and media things after it was all done, and my dad also came into town today, so I caught up with him for a while... I also met some more Dutch players and former coaches. Anyway, I'm looking forward to a nice sleep tonight. My dog has been barking a lot in the last little while though! He's way more energetic than I am right now. But he is quietening down and I think it's maybe time to wind down with a few questions then head to bed... oh and I've attached a picture of me and my dog, Zorro :)

Until tomorrow,

Michaella

How do you pass the time during a rain delay? - Lindsay, USA
Good question for today, because I did have a lot of down time in between matches today. I usually have a book with me, usually a biography, a motivational book, a comedy or a romance... I read a lot of different types of book. I like listening to music too. Just finding a quiet corner to relax in. Or, if I have people with me, I spend time with them.

What kind of music do you listen to? - Jenah
I love pop, R&B and lots of different types of music. The only ones I don't like are heavy metal, classical and country. Otherwise I like everything, from rap to trance. I've been to one concert - 50 Cent! He came to Prague last December and it was unbelievable. It was SO LOUD. Five hours after I left my head was still pounding. I wasn't even in the front row, I was pretty close, so I can't even imagine what it would be like in the very front.

Who are your favorite men's and women's players? - Oleg, Moscow
I always loved watching Serena. So on the women's side, I have to say Serena. There are definitely some cute guys playing too... like when I watch men's tennis, I'm not always watching it for the tennis ;) I've always been a fan of Andy Roddick - he has the game and the looks - the whole package! When he won the US Open I was really happy for him. And James Blake is probably my favorite player overall on the ATP. There are of course a lot of other players I could mention but those are the main two!!

-----

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Hello again everybody :)

Well, unfortunately I lost my quarterfinal match against Tanasugarn today. I played a pretty solid first set but my level dropped in the second and third sets, and she played better and better as the match went on. The conditions were tough - it was pretty windy - and I definitely couldn't get the best out of myself. I guess that's the most disappointing part about it. But, you know, even though I wasn't playing my best, at least I made it close. And I have had two good wins this week, so there are definitely some positives I can take from this. And the stadium was almost full - which means nearly 3000 people were there - which makes me really, really happy. Of course when I was playing I was focused only on winning, but it feels good to have so much support. I appreciate it :)

As usual I did lots of press after my match. Other than that today I spent some time with my dad, my dog, my brother and his old coach, as well as some other friends, which was nice. I was surprised we got a walkover in the doubles, but it gives me a great opportunity to win another title here tomorrow. That's my goal now, to just focus on tomorrow's doubles final. We're going to play our game and see what happens, and hopefully we can come away with our first title together.

Misa

What would you like to be if you weren't a tennis player? Joe, USA
I'd probably be going to university, but afterwards I would love to be a singer! I know it sounds funny. I would say if there's one singer I admire the most it would be Britney Spears. Even though she is going through a bit of a tough time right now, I think she has been an unbelievably good idol for so many young girls for so many years. She always did a great job on television and in interviews. I have all of her albums. Even with all of her problems, the last one was still good.

How did you feel playing against Serena? Tanya, USA
I played her for the first time at Rome last year, then again two weeks later at Roland Garros. The first time was weird for me but the second time not so much. But it's always weird to have your idol from when you were a kid across the net. Now I don't get as intimidated. And I've learned to respect anyone I play.

How passionate are you about Euro 2008? - Magdas, The Netherlands
I love watching soccer. This is my first time getting really into it. Before, I'd maybe see a game if it was on TV, but now I plan ahead to watch the games. The Dutch are doing so well, winning three times already, and I really hope they can do it! Looks like they're having fun. I'm even watching some of the other games, like right now I'm watching Germany-Portugal... Germany is playing so well.

-----

Friday, June 20, 2008

Well it was a great last day for the tournament for me: Marina and I beat Dekmeijere and Kerber for the doubles title. We started off a bit nervous but picked it up after the first two games and played really well until the very end. We only made errors when they pushed us into them. It was a pity we didn't get to play the semifinals but we still had three good matches this week, and it's our first title together! I couldn't have asked for anything more.

Marina had to catch a flight to London today and she's probably on the plane right now. The funniest thing is... we drew each other in the first round of the singles! It's a shame in a way, because not only are we really good friends but we have also both played pretty well on grass these last two weeks and both could have gone pretty far. It's definitely an unlucky draw for us. But at least one of us will get to at least the second round! And we'll probably have lunch or dinner together afterwards anyway. We're playing doubles together there too.

The week in 's-Hertogenbosch has meant a lot to me. I had three good singles matches, which was not the case at any tournament in the last eight months or so, and I came away with the doubles title, which is always helpful for your singles and your confidence in general. It has been a very memorable week.

I'm probably going to go out for a bit tonight to celebrate, but of course not too late, definitely dinner though. Tomorrow I leave around noon for London. I'll probably take it a bit easy tomorrow - some non-tennis training and relaxing. It has been a long week and I am looking forward to Wimbledon so much, I need to gather some energy back before getting back into tennis mode Sunday.

I want to thank you all for following along with my blog this week. It has been fun! I love keeping my fans up to date. I haven't been able to do it much for my website but I hope to do a better job with it . I look forward to doing another blog right here soon too!

Until next time :)

Misa

Tier IV Title Holder
PostPosted: 24. July 2008 15:04 

Local Time:
Katarina's Portoroz Blog

PORTOROZ, Slovenia - It has been a strong start to the season for Katarina Srebotnik, reaching the quarterfinals or better five times in singles, winning two Tier I titles in doubles with regular partner Ai Sugiyama and making it to two Grand Slam finals in mixed doubles. This week the Slovenian No.1 has her sights set on a title on home soil at the Banka Koper Slovenian Open in Portoroz, and brings us all along for the ride in the latest Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Player Blog.

-----
Monday, July 21, 2008

Hello again everyone :)

I'm very excited to blog from here in Portoroz again. It has been almost a year, so there's a lot to catch up on. I've had a good season this year and I'm really looking forward to playing in my home country this week.

It was a difficult ending for me at Wimbledon. Because it was raining so much on the Sunday our mixed doubles final went on court pretty late, and so it was really dark when we played. It was only when we were down 75 31 that the referee asked us if we wanted to finish the match the next day, and of course by then it was too late in the match and we didn't really have a choice. It was disappointing they didn't put us on another court earlier. Anyway, after Wimbledon I went back to my residence in Dubai, but I picked up a bit of a cold. I think it was because it was so hot but everywhere inside is air conditioned, so I may have gotten sick going in and out of that...

A relaxing week in Portoroz last week helped me get over the cold. I practiced every day but also had a lot of down time. Last year I went swimming every day the week before this tournament but this time I only swam once. It isn't the best thing to do when you're sick so I cut back on it. But I still focused hard on my tennis all week and today, the first day of the tournament, I'm feeling good and fit. So now I will be 100% about tennis and that's it. Maybe if I win the title I'll jump in the sea with all of my clothes on to celebrate! But it's such a long way to go so I can't think that far ahead. I have to take it match by match.

The week before the tournament is quiet here, but all of the people working at the club are so good at making us feel at home. There's a guy who looks after the courts here - his name is Valter - and every morning when I'd be practicing on center court he'd bring my coach, Biljana, a cup of coffee with a flower on the side. It was so sweet of him. She actually told him to not spoil her so much because then she wouldn't want to leave after this week! And I was saying he should stop because then she'll start expecting me to do that for her! Haha...

Another example of a really nice person here... We'd always have lunch at the club, and on Friday someone - a fan of mine - picked up the bill for me. I went to pay and they told me he already paid. It was very nice of him. That was the first time that has ever happened to me! I went over and thanked him and we talked for a bit. Every year I come back here and it really feels like home.

I did a photo shoot for Whirlpool last week too. It was also an interview for a Slovenian magazine, but mainly it was the photo shoot. It wasn't far from the courts, the weather was great and they all made me feel so relaxed. It was really fun. The photographer, Maja, was so easy to work with and did such an amazing job. There's a photo gallery to go with this blog, so you can see some more of her shots of me there. Normally you don't see us tennis players like that; at least I'm not used to looking like that! My coach was calling me "Kati Zeta-Jones"! Haha. My nickname is Kata but my really close friends and family call me Kati, so that's why she called me that... of course, I know I've done something bad when one of them calls me by my full name... but that's another story!

I did a spa activity for Whirlpool today, too. They did it with Jelena Jankovic and Anna Chakvetadze in Rome earlier this year. Here, Maria Kirilenko and I went to the Whirlpool booth and a group of make-up artists and hair stylists went to work on us! Afterwards we answered some fun questions for journalists and posed for pictures. It was really cool. I think it was a nice promotion for Whirlpool and us as well. I was at dinner earlier with all of the make-up on still! And Maria was a few tables away from us and had it on too... I'll have to take it off soon. But it's way better than when I do it myself. They're real professionals and did a great job.

If you remember from my blog last year, I like to play table tennis to warm up for tennis. After my practice on Sunday I played with my coach. She actually challenged me to a game! You see, I usually beat her in mini-tennis... and soccer as well... but anyway, this time she kicked my butt! She kicked it like never before. Then she said, "Kati, let me enjoy this moment, because it doesn't happen so often." So I said okay. You know, it's probably good that I lost to her, because if I win every time I'll start getting cocky, which is never a good thing. So congratulations to her :)

I'm staying at the same apartments as last year, in Marina, but I'm in a different one this year, actually the floor right below. Biljana and her family - her husband and two kids - are staying in the one I was in, right above me. I love when they come to my tournaments, and they usually only come here. Hopefully they're not too noisy this week - I'll have to hit the ceiling with my racquet! Those kids are full of energy! But they're really, really sweet kids. I haven't had to knock on the ceiling yet. I doubt I'll have to.

Well I think we're all caught up for now! I'm going to get some sleep... I'll talk to you all again tomorrow!

Kata :)
-----

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hello again everybody!

Things went a little bit late today... I was scheduled to play the 7pm match, so my day started off quite late, as I slept in until about 9:30am. People might think now that I'm lazy to sleep in that long, but when your match is at night it's pretty reasonable! Actually the day started off pretty funny because I had forgotten to put my 'do not disturb' sign on the doorknob, and so the cleaning lady was in my room when I woke up. And when I looked up from the bed and asked if she could maybe come back a little later she looked like she almost had a heart attack! She obviously didn't notice me... hopefully she's okay! But anyway that's when I woke up, and tonight I'll make sure to remember to put the sign on the door :)

I had some breakfast then practiced with Kirilenko from 12-1pm. It's always fun practicing with her, not just because we're friends but also because her coach - Eric Van Harpen - is always joking with us. Today I missed a shot in practice that I should probably not have missed, and afterwards I was doing the motion in the air, just trying to correct it. Then, from the other side of the court, Eric yells "You know, a good player knows how to hit it correctly before the shot, and stupid players know how to hit it correctly after the shot!" So I yelled back at him, "Yeah Eric, but some never know how to hit it correctly!" I was pretty proud that I gave it right back to him. But that's how we are all the time. Anyway, the rest of the practice was very relaxing. I still practice the between-the-legs shot; it's a routine now. At Wimbledon, I hit two of them in mixed doubles matches - one was a direct winner and one set my partner up for a putaway. I like having fun when I play, but you've got to practice that shot too! It's not easy. But of course when it's a really important match I don't usually try it, unless I have no other option, as sometimes you have to hit it between the legs because there's no chance to run around the ball and hit it normally.

After practice I had lunch, went back to the apartment and had a nap for an hour and a half. Then I got my equipment (racquets, grips) ready. I usually bring six racquets. Then I got myself ready with a warm-up and a talk with my coach. It was time to head to the courts... but then came the rain delay. I got there at about 6pm for my 7pm match but matches were about two hours behind, and the match before mine went to three sets, so I didn't end up going on court until quite late. We finished around 10:15pm, then I stretched and cooled down, went to press, had some dinner, watched some of my next opponent's match with my coach... in the end I was at the tournament until half past midnight, and as I was about to leave I saw some of the Spanish players waiting for a ride back too, so I drove them home! I gave them a taxi to the hotel :) It was pretty close, like 1km, so not a big deal at all!

My match against Sanda Mamic was good. I didn't feel nervous at all going on the court. The stands were also about 3/4 full, which is great for a first round. I felt like a lot of the games were close but I played well on the important points, so that's why the scoreline looks a little easier than it was.

I was very excited to see my family in the stands tonight. My parents, my sister and my grandfather were all there. Normally my sister can only make it on the weekend because she works all week, so that was a really nice surprise. I was very happy to see my parents and grandfather too, but they usually come to my matches, even in the week :) I also saw lots of friends watching. It was a very nice feeling to play in front of them. I even saw my dentist from when I was younger! It was nice to see her, this time in MY "office"! I used to be so scared when my parents took me to her... not because she gave me pain - she is a very good dentist - but just because all kids are always very scared to go to the doctor or dentist. Anyway it was great to see them all.

I'm playing Julia Goerges next... if you've been following my season, you'll know that she and I played a really long match at Wimbledon, and she beat me 16-14 in the third set in three hours and 41 minutes. It was the second-longest women's match ever there... and of course it was a tough loss. Hopefully I'll be able to give her sweet revenge here! We play on Thursday. We're friendly to each other though - like when we saw each other today, I was joking that at least we would have a third set tie-break here. But hopefully we won't have to go anywhere near that again!

If you read my blog last year, you'll remember that one of my young fans gave me a four-leaf clover as a good luck charm to take with me into my matches. Unfortunately I lost in the final last year but I still carry it around in my purse! I don't know if she's reading this right now, but I still have it :)

Well it's pretty late here - after 1am - so I'm going to answer a few questions from you guys then head to bed...

Until tomorrow!

Kata

You live in Dubai, but do you speak or read Arabic? - Jane, USA
I think Arabic is too tough for me to learn, but I have picked up a word or two. I know "shukran" means "thank you" and "afwan" means "you're welcome". Other than that I know a few bad words, but of course I won't repeat them here ;) My brain is kind of shutting down right now because it's so late so that's all I can say. The good thing about living in Dubai without knowing Arabic is that pretty much everybody speaks English. I've had no problems trying to find my way around.

What is the best match you've ever played? - Andre
Ooh, nice question. That would definitely be beating Serena at Roland Garros this year. Not just because it was beating Serena, but it was at a Grand Slam. Also, it got me into the fourth round of a Grand Slam for the second time. It was a very special moment for me. And I didn't realize how important a victory it was until I was doing my press commitments afterwards - there were so many journalists requesting me, I did several interviews with TV... usually I just have a few small interviews, but this time I was in the main interview room with lots of journalists there, and I asked the lady "are you sure this is for me?!" Only after I saw how much interest there was did I realize what a big thing just happened.

Which former player do you miss most on the Tour? - Royston, India
That's an easy one - definitely Monica Seles. She has always been my idol. I remember when I was playing the final of the Orange Bowl U18s and I was 15, somehow her manager arranged for her to give me a phone call the night before. My heart jumped in my chest. I didn't know what to say. When you meet someone you've adored for such a long time, you just don't know what to do. She probably felt pretty awkward! Then a few years later I met her at the French Open and had my picture taken with her. I actually framed it and still have it - I treasure it. For such a great player to be so down to Earth is something I respect a lot. So she's definitely the answer for this one!
---------------
Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Today I slept much better than yesterday. I remembered the 'do not disturb' sign for my door! There was a different cleaning lady today though, so I'm wondering if the one from yesterday didn't want to do it again!! I slept from 1:30-10:30am, a full nine hours. They say every hour of sleep before midnight is worth three hours; so even though I had nine hours of it last night, it wasn't really good sleep. But today I'll try to go to sleep "when the chickens go to sleep" (it's a saying in Slovenian meaning you'll go to bed very early, like the chickens...)

Today was a very special day - my mom's birthday! I won't reveal her age, of course ;) We spoke earlier in the day and I wished her a happy birthday. I also hit for an hour with Polona Hercog (another Slovenian player), then a really fun thing happened today I have to tell you about!

Remember on Monday I mentioned Valter, the guy who helps take care of the courts who brought my coach coffee every day last week... well today he came out on the practice court after I was done with a guitar and sang me a song! It's a Croatian song, "Tamara" by Bajaga. You can see the performance in the picture just above. It was another example of the special treatment they give us. He's actually very good too! Good playing, good voice... I didn't know he had this talent! Next time I'll be sure to give him some back-up with my racquet guitar ;)

After that I had an autograph session and lots of people came, including a lot of ball kids. It's always nice to meet so many of my fans. The more the better!

After a little bit of shopping I came back here to the apartment and I'm writing to all of you :) I'll probably go out for dinner with Biljana and her family and just have a really easy evening. It will be my last evening off here so I want to take this opportunity to have an early night, like the chickens do!

Until tomorrow,

Kata

Who is your best friend on the Tour? - Dano, Slovenia
Sugi! I have quite a few players I'm friends with but Ai is my best friend on the Tour. Right now we're on different continents but we're still checking up on each other - she actually just texted me saying she saw my blog, and that the photos are really nice :) And I had a big smile on my face when I saw the feature they did on her for Video On Demand (it was very good... you can watch it here).

Who is your favorite mixed doubles partner? - Dave, Canada
Wow... it's hard to choose. I've played regularly with Piet Norval, Bob Bryan and Nenad Zimonjic, but at Wimbledon I played with Mike Bryan and we did so well. I've really enjoyed playing with all of them. Right now, my regular partner is Nenad. But they're all such good players, encouraging and good-looking too :) Funny story - when I was new on the Tour I asked Liezel Huber to help me find a mixed doubles partner, and she asked me if I was looking for a good player or a good-LOOKING player! I said I would love to have both, but if I had to choose I'd definitely go for a good player. I would never pick a partner based on looks over ability - but it just so happens that all of them have been great AND good-looking!

Do you have any unusual pre-match routines? - Lynn, USA
Not anymore. I used to be superstitious - using the same shower, putting my tennis bag in the same corner of the locker room - but not now. I've learnt it doesn't matter. I guess one routine I always try to stick to is hitting for 45 minutes and having an hour's break before playing my matches. The break in there is for eating something light, getting prepared... I really don't like rushing. My worst nightmare is running late for a match, as some of you may remember from my blog last year!

-----
Thursday, July 24, 2008

Unfortunately, I lost today. I didn't play badly, it's just that my opponent, Julia Goerges, played unbelievably. She was making some mistakes at the beginning and I had a good start - I was up 3-0 - but then she started serving better, hitting the ball much stronger and just turned the match around. From there it was a one-way street. I was hoping she might hit a bad patch and give me some errors, but that never came. After the match, her coach said he had never seen her play that well. It's just a shame I had to face her so early in the tournament, because I really felt like I had a few more wins in me the way I was playing.

The loss I had to Goerges at Wimbledon was really difficult to deal with; I had so many opportunities in that match and couldn't convert them, which was really disappointing. But here I just have to congratulate her on a fantastic match. The funny thing is that at Wimbledon I knew nothing about her going into the match - I had to ask other players for information on her - but this time I knew her game much better, I even practiced with her this week... Losing is never fun, but it was a much more disappointing loss for me at Wimbledon. I really think if she plays like this the rest of the week she can win the title. She's definitely playing better than her ranking. I think I'm going to have a talk with her and find out where she is planning to play next year, then avoid all of those tournaments when I make my schedule! But seriously, she's such a sweet girl. She even apologizes when she hits the lines, which is nice, but the lines are a part of the court and if you hit them then that's great, so you shouldn't feel you have to apologize. Hitting the net cord, maybe, I don't know. But anyway, I wish her luck the rest of the week.

There's always some sort of drama in the morning with me! Today I was woken up by loud music. There are some people camping nearby - I can see them from the window - and at around 8:30am I heard this music, even through my ear plugs, and I just thought 'Noooo, please!' I even had the pillow on my head but could still hear it. I really didn't want to get up, get dressed and go outside to ask them myself, because if I did all that I'd be wide awake afterwards, so I called my coach to see if she could maybe do it... and she did :) Within two minutes it was off. I went back to sleep for a bit so I thank her for helping me! Then I had a warm-up with Kirilenko, a nap, and everything else was pretty much the same as the other days, the only difference being my sister couldn't visit, but she did call me to wish me good luck. Then, of course, the match.

I'll be staying here on Friday and leaving for my next tournament in Stockholm on Saturday. I would have changed my ticket to Stockholm for Friday but since we played so late the office is closed. But I'm looking forward to another day here. They've asked me to go to the booth during the 7pm match so that will be fun, and I may go for a swim (not with all of my clothes on like I said I would do if I won... just a normal bathing suit!)

I'd like to thank everyone for reading. I'm sorry this is the end, but sometimes that's just how it works out. You can't win every match. I tried my best. Hopefully you all enjoyed my blog and I'll be doing it again soon!!

Until then take care,

Kata :)

What kind of music do you like? Do you have a favorite band? - Peter
I listen to pretty much everything except jazz, blues, rap, techno... I really like '80s, '90s and new music too. I've got almost 2000 songs on my iPod so I have something for just about every mood I'm in. I don't have a favorite band but I've been to a few concerts; my first one was Suzanne Vega in L.A., then Vaya Con Dios, and the biggest one I went to was Elton John in Paris. My seats weren't very good for Elton - I basically saw a little piano in the distance and a man (which I assumed was Elton John), and I saw most of what was happening on the big screen. My big wish is to see Celine Dion. She was my absolute favorite when I was younger. I had good tickets to see her once but some unfortunate circumstances came up with a rain delay - I had to finish a match the morning after the concert, so I couldn't go. Oh well, there went my all-time favorite!!

What is your most treasured title so far? - Douglas, Canada
It's like asking a mother which daughter they like more. Each and every one of my singles, doubles and mixed titles is special in their own way. Of course singles is my priority, but I've won some big doubles titles too. But the only Grand Slam titles I've won so far have come in mixed. I'm hoping to win a doubles Grand Slam soon too. Anyway, it's really hard to pick one. I am proud of all of them.

Have you ever tried using a wooden racquet? - Lindsay, USA
I haven't, but I'd really like to try it! The speed of my shots will probably be at least 50km less and I'm sure I'll mis-hit some shots, but I'd love to try it. I don't have one myself but my coach has one. I'll see if she'll bring it next time.

You looked stunning in your photo shoot. Do you find those kind of activities away from the court make you relaxed? - Jamie, Australia
Until the one I did here last week, I didn't really enjoy them. I prefer to be a tennis player and not a model. But this crew was so nice and the photographer did such a good job making me feel comfortable, and I did enjoy this one. This was the first one I had fun with. But at the end of the day, I'm happy to do anything I can to help promote the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour and its sponsors.

-----

Last edited by cyegirl on 25. July 2008 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

Tier IV Title Holder
PostPosted: 24. July 2008 15:11 

Local Time:
seems like the earlier blogs on wta are incomplete already, ... ;)

but its interesting to read that Ai Sugiyama is a favorite friend of most players on tour.

Tier IV Title Holder
PostPosted: 10. August 2008 16:59 

Local Time:
Liezel Huber's Olympic Blog

BEIJING, China - It was a whirlwind few days but Liezel Huber made it all the way from Canada to California to China, and now she is primed to play the Olympics under the American flag for the first time. Come along to Beijing with the doubles co-world No.1 in the latest Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Player Blog straight from the Chinese capital.

Saturday, August 8, 2008

Hello from Beijing!

I came here directly AND indirectly... I finished the doubles final in Montréal last Sunday just before 5pm, did the trophy ceremony then ran into the tunnel and to the locker room. My husband then met me outside, gave me a kiss and told me my bags were in the car and it was waiting to take me straight to the airport! I got there by 5:30pm and we took off at 7:30pm, arriving in San Francisco at 1am. From there I was driven to San Jose and got to sleep around 3am.

San Jose was where all of the American Olympic athletes did USOC processing (USOC is the United States Olympic Committee). It's an ambassador program that lasted all day - 8am to 6pm - and teaches us how to handle ourselves during the Olympics. We were treated to some really great speakers, one who held the record for the long jump and one who was a silver medalist in water polo, then finally we got our uniforms. That was a highlight for me. They look great!

On Tuesday at 7am we went back to San Francisco and flew out to Beijing. So the journey that began in Montreal at 5pm on Sunday ended on Wednesday at 2pm, Beijing time. It was a whirlwind. I don't remember sleeping that much but the adrenaline kept me going. I was so excited and honored to be in that whirlwind.

My husband, Tony, is not here with me. He was given the opportunity to come and we definitely considered it, going back and forth on it, but we ended up making a personal decision on it. The regular season is very individual, but this is more of a team event. He travels with me everywhere and he's my coach, but it's important for the Olympic players to bond with the coach we have here. I should be fine without him for just this one time. I can't wait to see him when I get back!

We arrived in Beijing with our luggage right there, then we were taken straight to our hotel. There was just a zillion people everywhere, which you'd think would be chaotic, but they are SO organized here. Everything worked out perfectly. Your credential acts as your visa, so we showed it and we were on our way. I had packed extra clothes just in case my luggage got lost, but they're so efficient here so it's all with me! After we got to our hotel we went right out and practiced, just to get a feel for the conditions. We hit for an hour and a bit, from about 7pm to 8/8:30pm. We weren't looking for a gold medal performance that day, just trying to get a feel for everything. And it worked - the next day when we came out to practice, it went great. It's funny how just a little bit of getting used to conditions can help down the road. That night we all slept heavy though!

I actually stayed at the Olympic Village the first three nights - the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. It's so clean and pretty, and the landscaping is lovely. The food is great too. This is only my second Olympics - I competed in Sydney - and it was so great Down Under I didn't know if anywhere could top it, but I think they've done that here. But now that competition is about to kick off, I decided to come back to the hotel starting tonight, Saturday night. There are so many distractions in the Village, and we tennis players are so used to maintaining focus throughout each day leading up to competition. There are so many athletes there, all I can think of is where are they from, and look at their muscles! I was also coming home at 11pm each night when I normally go to bed around 10pm. It's just amazing how so many of the world's athletes can be concentrated there though. I'll definitely go back for some meals and socializing with some of the new friends I've made, but my top priority is focusing in on a medal!

The opening ceremony was amazing. Team USA met at 5:15pm in the Village. It was amazing to see everyone dressed up in our Ralph Lauren outfits, including matching hats and scarves! It was really hot though. We were all dripping and fanning ourselves, but it was worth it. We looked so stylish. We were then escorted to another stadium, which they use for fencing I believe. We weren't sure what was happening - I thought it was for a big group photo or something - but it turned out we were all about to meet the President, George W Bush, as well as a few others - former President Bush, current First Lady Laura Bush and her daughter, too. The two Presidents congratulated each and every one of us and wished us the best of luck. The tennis squad also had a picture with the current President. It was fantastic. That alone was worth this trip, it was such an honor.

We were then taken to the stadium right next to the main stadium, which they use for gymnastics. We all waited a while to be led out for the opening ceremony (since the United States was country No.140 on the list because it's so far down the alphabet!) They gave each of us a food bag to hold us over during the wait, which probably meant they had to hand out thousands of them... another detail they took care of really well. We all just mingled during the wait. At 8:08pm they started showing the ceremony on the big monitor, and at about 9:45pm they called us out. We were all chanting "USA!" in the tunnel. I got goosebumps. I'm so fortunate to be representing the nation that has adopted me. Now I can say I'm an Olympian, but also for the US. At the time I was on such a high I didn't really get emotional, but I can tell you the day leading up to this and ever since, it's easy to get teary-eyed. Anyway! By 10:30pm we were all on the field.

I have started collecting pins. I have about 50 of them so far. My goal has been to get pins from the smaller countries. I already have Micronesia, Cambodia, Thailand, Iran, Cayman Islands, Kiribati (I had never even heard of Kiribati before!), Mozambique, Virgin Islands, Netherlands Antilles, Syria, Oman, Seychelles, Trinidad & Tobago, Zimbabwe, Qatar, Sri Lanka... for me it's so exciting! And we're getting another 100 pins tomorrow so I'll definitely be going into the Village and preying on people ;) It's not just about collecting the pins, but also meeting the people. We met so many nice people last night. We saw Americans taking photos with Kuwaitis. Sports brings the world together.

I didn't get to sleep until about 2am last night and woke up at 6am today! I'm not used to doing all of these activities and I've been completely knackered since I got here, but we're all so excited to be here. I've been telling myself to slow down, but it's tough. Tonight we're going to go to a market with air conditioning - and I'm very excited about the A/C! We've been saying it's hot here so many times that it's getting old. But it's true. I can't put lotion on my face because it just drips off. Anyway, the market has clothes, jackets and bags, and I hear you can haggle the prices, so I'll see if I can bring out some of my haggling skills :)

I don't play on Sunday but I'm looking forward to watching my teammates play.

Oh and one more thing... I'm not going to name any names, but I think there are other players in competition with me for the pins... it's getting quite competitive!

Talk to you all tomorrow!!

Liezel

------------------------------------------------------

Sunday, August 9, 2008

Hello again everybody!

Today was long. There's really no other word to describe it! We left for the courts at 9:30am; before we left we had been told it was raining and we had a choice to stay or go, but in those situations I usually go because I don't want to worry if it has stopped raining or not. It was tricky but we made the right decision.

We watched some of our teammates play and cheered as loudly as we could for them. The main stadium of the Olympic Green Tennis Center is beautiful inside. It would be even more amazing on a sunny day. And it was packed - I believe the remainder of the Olympic Tennis Event has been sold out, actually, which gives us players a very nice feeling, like the people here really appreciate tennis. Of course, the bad news today was that we had rain delay after rain delay...

It was a constant drizzle throughout the day and it doesn't take much for the lines to get slippery. I had practice courts booked but they kept getting pushed back: my first one was from 1-2pm, then it was moved to 4-5pm, then cut down to 4-430pm, then moved again to 6-7pm and 7-8pm and again cut down to 7-730pm. We finally moved it voluntarily to 8-9pm because we didn't think the court would be dry, then we just decided it was over. They cancelled all of the matches and sent us all home at about 7pm. We came back and got room service... and spent some time admiring all of the pins we've gotten!

That's one of the great things about today - I got a lot more pins! It actually tired me out looking around to see which countries I could find... I had to stop and tell myself to just relax. But it's just too fun! Today I got Nepal, Bahamas, Brazil, Venezuela, Slovakia, Ukraine, Latvia, Denmark, Croatia, France, China, India, Sweden, Great Britain, Japan... I couldn't be as picky as I was yesterday, when I was looking for all of the smallest countries, because we weren't in the Village today. I just saw I also got Portugal, Czech Republic and Austria today... So today it was all about quantity. By the end of the day it got harder to chase after them. Some of the players from countries I didn't have yet had run out of pins. Togo is supposed to bring me one tomorrow. Some players already have American pins too, so they don't need mine. We'll see how it goes tomorrow though - I'm hoping to go into the Village. This is serious business! Although for me, the fun is in meeting the athletes from all of the different countries, not necessarily just getting any pin I can. I remember who gave me every pin.

Again, I won't mention any names, but I saw someone's collection today and he has the Cook Islands and Lesotho. Lesotho is a country completely surrounded by my home country, South Africa. I've always found it remarkable to have a country that has no other neighbour or coastline even... I grew up knowing about Lesotho and I'd probably trade all of my pins for that one! Maybe I can make him feel sorry for me... hehe. I've got a lot of days left though, so I hope I'll get it.

I also went to the gym today, which is lucky, because as I mentioned we never got to hit. The gym was packed! There were even some fans taking pictures through the opening in the greenery. I have no idea how they figured out they could get pictures from there, but there were lots of them out there!

Speaking of trading and finding things, the market was great yesterday! We got such bargains. Here, it's all about negotiating. The vendors will give you a price and if you play your cards right, you will pay much less. I paid about a quarter of the original price for a shirt yesterday. I started walking away from the vendor when they initially wouldn't drop the price, and they did end up dropping it. One of the coaches had actually bought that same shirt for much less earlier in the week and I told her that I wouldn't buy it for any more than that, and after she wouldn't drop it any more I began walking away again, and as I turned the corner she did. So I got the shirt! I ended up paying $7 or $8 for a shirt that was priced almost $30. I hadn't bought anything for my coach and housekeeper for a while so I ended up getting two more as well! It's easy to get caught up in the chase, but all of the haggling is draining. You don't want to rip them off but you don't want to get ripped off, either. It's how they do business though!

Right now I'm just surfing the web. I'm reading up on the medal count and how awesome Team USA has done in swimming. I'm wishing for more and more medals! We had dinner just now too. I got a sandwich. I don't normally eat a sandwich for dinner but I've been having so many noodles with chopsticks the last few days, I had to get something new! It's not the noodles I was getting tired of really, it was probably the chopsticks. I always give up after four or five bites! I had a Diet Coke too... I always like to have one at the end of the day. Normally I eat a lot more food during the day, but this sandwich was filling.

I also have to report to you we got some more Team USA gear today. I've been sporting it all day. The highlight of my entire experience is proudly wearing it!

The plan for tomorrow is going and watching one of my teammates play if it's early, but I have practice later in the day. I'd also like to squeeze in watching another sport if I can. There's volleyball at 12:30pm, which would be great; our basketball team plays at night too, which will be unbelievable. I'll see when everyone is playing and work my schedule around it. It's important to savour the Olympic experience and support the other athletes!

I'm going to read some USA Today now... It was great talking to you all and we'll do it again tomorrow!

Liezel

------------------------------------------------

Monday, August 11, 2008

A very busy day in Beijing!

We began the day with a big breakfast at the hotel. It's my favorite part of the day! We had eggs, bacon, toast, pancakes, cereal, OJ, cappuccino... I ate for an hour. It was like I wasn't going to see food the rest of the day! We really got our money's worth. And it felt just like home :) We went to the site at about 11am; I wanted to go there early because they said there was a 70% chance of rain, and I didn't want yesterday to happen again. But we got an hour and a half of practice in, which was fantastic. And then it was off to the Olympic Village!

Actually, before going there, I had a bit of a run-in with a divider... When you're coming back from practice, there's a dividing screen near the open door, so people won't look in. And there's not much room to walk by with your bag... Anyway, my bag got caught on this 8-10-foot screen, and it just came down on me. It was pretty heavy and had sharp edges, and it hit the back of my arm and my back. My wonderful teammate saw me bent over and in pain, and when you're initially in pain we all know the last thing you want to do is talk because it's such an initial shock. So she just said, 'Liezel, let's go to the trainer.' I actually started crying because it was hurting so much :( Then I stopped off at the sink and told myself to get a grip! I ended up having two blood scrapes on my back. There was nothing on the back of my arm at first, but about an hour later it really started bruising. Hopefully the swelling goes down for tomorrow, which is our first match. One of the girls joked I probably wouldn't be good at childbirth - pretty funny, and probably true! But the trainers did a great job in patching me up. I'm trying to stretch the area all the time so it doesn't scab over. They gave me ice and anti-inflammatory cream. So everyone, please watch out for that screen!

We had lunch soon after getting to the Village but I wasn't very hungry, probably a combination of the big breakfast and how hot and muggy it was. I had a piece of bread and fruit. Of course, by afternoon I was starving again. Anyway, I am happy to report it was a very successful day for my pin collecting! I've had to add more straps to my credential, as I've been putting them on there (you can see them all in the picture I've put up!) Today I got Malta, Mali, Papua New Guinea, Andorra, Argentina, Paraguay, Cuba, Haiti, Guatemala, New Zealand, Estonia, Russia, Tajikistan, Nicaragua, Grenada and Bolivia. There's a lot I still have to get so I'm not satisfied! Although my main goal is playing tennis - and because of the rain, we might have matches every day, given we keep winning - I'm still excited about collecting pins and meeting athletes from all around the world.

In the Village, Team USA gets internal television in their places. There's a sport on every channel. We get a daily program telling us which sports are being shown at which times. They bold the medal rounds, so that helps us pick which ones we think might be the most important to get a glimpse of. During the lunch break we went back to the apartment and watched a recap of how our team was doing. We sort of knew the results but it was still making me nervous because I hadn't seen any of it yet! A funny thing also happened as we were walking around... I saw five athletes in a row wearing the exact same shirt and shorts. They were five good-looking guys. Then a sixth one was following right behind them. I didn't have the guts to ask what they do but I did ask where they were from, and it turns out they're Icelandic. If I was single again maybe I'd go there! If any single ladies are reading this, I think there are lots of good-looking men in Iceland!

We also headed to the administrative offices for Team USA in the Village. On the second floor there are a bunch of athletes just on the computers and hanging out, relaxing. You can go there and mingle or just do your own thing. I spoke to some of the volleyballers, who I'd first met on the plane or at the Opening Ceremony. It's like a large extended family. We're not just a tennis team, really; we're a team. It's very cool. It's so much different than every other week of the year.

This is mainly an individual sport but we've been watching each other's matches, trying to make it as much of a team sport as we can. I think we all appreciate it. Some of our players win and some lose, but we're all supporting each other.

I had dinner at the courts. It wasn't my first choice but because there were so many matches pushed to today's schedule, one of the matches I was at ended at about 9:30pm, and I couldn't wait to get back here to have something to eat! And to think they still had two matches to go on that very court... this is what rain will do to a schedule! Right now it's 11pm and I'm hungry again, but I can't justify eating this late. I won't get to sleep until midnight!

I'm hoping we're not playing early in the morning tomorrow, because it's so late right now. But if we are I'll be ready. I'm excited to play. We're healthy. We've also been preparing for this for a long time.

Goodnight and talk to you all again tomorrow!!

Liezel

----------------------------------------------

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Finally we got to play! The waiting is done. We expected to play well and we did - we won our first round match, 62 61. It seems straightforward from the score line, but in tennis that word doesn't really exist. I actually started off with an error, which wasn't great. I have high expectations of myself. My regular partner and I always use the phrase "ride the wave". Because I'm No.1 with my regular partner, people always come out against us with nothing to lose; I feel it's the same situation with my partner here, because people look at us as one of the teams to beat. It was pretty even at the start, but then we just rode the wave. We began playing to our strengths and to their weaknesses, and before we knew it we were shaking hands. We were so positive and energetic, and I had goosebumps because it was our first match of going for the dream.

I thought I was tired the other day, but right now I'm exhausted! When we came off the court we were sopping wet, and we weren't even out there that long. We couldn't have asked for the umbrella to be opened any faster! Afterwards I went on the bike for a bit then did our press commitments, then, of course, it was time to go to the Olympic Village to collect pins!!!

I now have five straps on my pass. Today I got Mexico, Luxembourg, Suriname, Libya, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Malaysia... some of these I'm not even sure of... that's bad! Honduras. I tried to find Angola because my grandfather was born there, but I couldn't. My effort was pretty poor today, compared to previous days. I just began talking with everyone and sometimes wouldn't get pins. I'm a little off my game. It's easier early in the week when basically everyone you see you haven't gotten pins from yet; now I have so many it's hard to spot the ones I don't have. Zambia. I may have lost a little bit of my competitiveness today, but it was probably because I was tired from the match. I'll just rest well tonight and get ready for our next match... and finding some more pins, too!

I have to tell you about what happened right before our match. We were in the player lounge and the match that was on before us was at a set and 4-all or 5-all, and I went outside to warm up (because I couldn't warm up inside with the air conditioning!). I came running back in and our manager says to me, "I've been looking for you, 41 is here!" I didn't get it. Then she said, "You don't understand... the 41st President!" And I saw it was President Bush and his daughter, as well as some secret service members. I actually met him the other night but I told him the exact same thing this time: "Hi, I'm Liezel Huber from Houston, Texas!" And like the other night he said, "Yeah, baby!" I don't know if he does that every time someone says they're from Houston or if he just remembered me, but it was great! He wished us the best. For him to come and wish us support was very classy. All of these people are coming and congratulating us and encouraging us, but really it's we who are honored. This experience gets more and more elating.

The bruise on my arm is pretty. My back is fine though. This is all from the self-inflicted injury I suffered yesterday! I kept waking up in the night to check on it, because I want to be at my best here - not just for me, but also for the team. But I'm happy to report it's okay. Yesterday was a tough day for our team, as we lost three players; today has been better, which is a great turnaround.

Now I'm back at the hotel. It's about 9:30pm and I wanted to get to bed before 10pm, so I'm on target. Tomorrow the matches don't start until the afternoon, so I'll be able to sleep in a bit. Today was a bit tough because we got back so late last night then had to play pretty early. As tennis players we have to be flexible with playing times, conditions and everything. What we need to remember is that it's the same for everybody; it's all about who can adapt to the situation better. Anyway, I ordered room service. I have a fruit plate - I'm not sure what some of this fruit is though! I normally don't order room service. Two nights ago I got "Chef's Special Chocolate Cake with Ice Cream" with one of my teammates, but by the time it came the ice cream was more like soup. This fruit plate was supposed to come with yogurt and honey - which is what drew me to it - but they aren't here, so it's just the fruit. When my husband travels with me we never get room service. He says it's overpriced and when the food finally gets to you it's cold. But I've been having it every day here. It's easy, and I don't have to dress up and go out. All in all, I'd much rather have dinner with my husband though!

Speaking of my husband, he's back home right now at a barbecue. I'll bet he doesn't mind missing out on my room service! I talk to him just about every day, even with the big time difference here. I'll wake up 15 minutes earlier so I can call him in the evening his time. But I always manage to call him during a meal. Conducting business is tough, but other than that it's fine. I use Skype, which saves so much money. I wish I had invented Skype, I'd be retired by now!

I've been using Facebook a lot here. I have my own personal account, one for the Huber Tennis Ranch and one called "Go Liezel, Go USA", which is for people to support me during the Olympics (a boy who takes tennis lessons at the ranch created it for me and it's fantastic!) I'm very new on Facebook. I got it about a month ago. It's already one of my Favorites. I'm not sure if I fit the age range it's most popular with, but that's okay! The reason I joined it initially is I was looking for a friend of mine from kindergarten - another Liezel, actually - and I managed to locate her! It's almost like we never lost touch. I'm so happy, I'd been looking for her for so many years. So that's one of the benefits of Facebook, as well as posting pictures and exchanging messages. I really enjoy it!

Nothing else to report, really. My main thought is that I'm disappointed with my pin collecting effort today. I'm starting to get soft. I've been giving away my USA pins when people ask for them, but then not even asking them for any back. I think it was probably just an off-day today. Tomorrow I'll definitely make sure to be greedier - on and off the court!

Goodnight!

Liezel

--------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

It's 1am and I just got back!

Our match was fourth on after 4pm today, so it was a pretty late one. I just came back to the hotel, had a shower and ordered a sandwich. It's rough coming back at this time of night; hopefully I can get to sleep soon! I also hope I won't fall asleep with half the sandwich in my mouth. I guess we'll find out tomorrow...

All in all, it was a great day. We won our match tonight and it feels like we won a Grand Slam! It was a very tough one. We won 6-3 in the third set. Really, it was only a point or two that made the difference; luckily, it was in our favor. When the draw came out, we knew these could be tough opponents. I have a lot of respect for one of the girls we played in particular; she's one of the true up-and-coming players out there, and while her singles ranking is pretty high as it is, she should probably be even higher. We were broken right off the go. Actually, there were a lot of breaks throughout the match, but we just hung in there. By the end of the match we felt really comfortable and were able to get the crucial break. As soon as we finished I called my husband from the court to tell him! We were all so happy - me, my partner, our teammates, coaches... It was a tough match but when you're playing with a new partner you go through these stepping stones. As a doubles player, I know how positive our attitudes were today. I'm very proud of how we came out and fought through it. One nice thing is that we don't play tomorrow - because we don't even know who our quarterfinal opponents will be - so we'll have some time to recover for our next match.

This morning seems like so long ago. I slept in quite a bit - I think I slept for 10 hours - and then we went to the courts around 11am. Other mornings have been a rush here, but today's was a very easy one. We hit from 12-1pm then, of course, it was time to go to the Olympic Village! Originally it was just to get food, because we've decided not to do pin trading until after our matches each day. But I did sneak a couple :) Cameroon, Saint Lucia, Botswana... Actually, Botswana was the first pin I got that I didn't get myself. My friend had an extra Botswana pin and asked me if I had two of anything so we could trade them, so I gave them one Cayman Islands pin for their Botswana pin, but in this deal I also asked that they get me another one I don't have yet. So I look forward to that! Today wasn't such a great effort for pin collecting but I'm at over 100 pins now. I know it's only half of the countries out there but I'm working on it...

One of my teammates just came in with another pin for me, from the Cook Islands! I've been after this one. She went to watch some other sports tonight and I gave her one of my USA pins, asking her if she saw a Cook Islands one to get it for me... and she just came to me with it - MY DAY IS MADE! Oh my God. It says "Cook Islands, Beijing 2008" with the running symbol and rings on it. It's beautiful. This one is worth a lot. Here I am, 1am, sitting in my night robe in my hotel room, and I've scored a Cook Islands pin!!!

We didn't get to meet any presidents today, but our time at the Village was fun. We went for lunch, saw some of the swimming recap on the internal TV, watched some tennis (we can watch anything at the Olympics and we watch tennis... go figure) and went for dinner. You can't eat too much before a match but there's lots of fried rice here so that was nice. We didn't go on until about 9:30pm and when we were done there were still some matches going on. It has been a long day for everyone, but the dream is still alive. None of us are complaining. We're working very hard to play our best and hopefully get a medal!

Some of our teammates have started going back home already. They're done here - either they're out of the competition or their event is over. It's sad - the more, the merrier. I was thinking, if we had lost early, would I stay or go? You're torn. You do have to get back to your business, but I think I would probably stay. It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I took some time out today and just watched all of the people going by, and I realized I'm just so proud to be here. I used to think this would be my last Olympics, but now I'm not so sure. I really want to do it again. I don't know if my health will keep up for four more years, and it's such a strong nation to be selected for, so who knows if I'd make it onto the team again, but now I really want to do it again. Hopefully I'll be able to go to London in 2012. It'll be on grass. How awesome would that be? My favorite surface :)

Now we'll be going to sleep and probably only get about six hours of sleep, because we're going to watch beach volleyball in the morning! All week I've been saying I'm going to watch other sports, but I've been so focused on tennis I haven't been able to. One of our teammates is friends with the top beach volleyball player in the world and got us great seats. I'm so excited! I've never seen a volleyball match, let alone a beach volleyball match. I'll dress in my Team USA clothing for sure. You know what though... I'm not even sure how they score the game. I'm going to have to learn while I'm watching. Do I need to wear different shoes because it's on sand? I'm sure my team will tell me if I'm not dressed appropriately. One time I put on boots and a checkered shirt to go to a country western bar with my friend in Houston, and he said, "Okay, you need to change your shoes." I told him they were the only boots I had and he said they don't wear those anymore. But he said nothing about my shirt, and when I got there I knew I was dressed pretty lame. Hopefully I don't have another day like that tomorrow! I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb. But that's just life sometimes... I usually just use the excuse that I'm a foreigner if it happens! I'll be watching the volleyball tomorrow but my eyes will be looking around for pins...

Now I'm going to say goodnight, then eat this chicken sandwich. I will let you all know that I've had this same chicken sandwich all week. It makes me feel at home! And I'm not very good with chopsticks.

Talk to you all tomorrow :)

Liezel

P.S. I've attached a photo of my doubles partner's son, who is at his very first Olympics... We're starting him early with the team spirit!

---------------------------------------------------

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Hello again everybody!

I got up very early today... I'm not sure if I even got six hours of sleep! Then it was off to the beach volleyball game. I grabbed a croissant and an OJ on my way out. Normally I call my husband in the morning but this time getting to the game on time was the priority! Team USA beat Denmark quite handily - well I don't know anything about volleyball, but it looked like it was a convincing victory. Afterwards we got to see the players when they came through the tunnel. My teammate knows one of the volleyballers so we got to congratulate them. I took a picture of two of their fans, which you can see just above this paragraph :)

We all came back after the volleyball game and I took a nap for an hour and a half or so. I can't remember ever sleeping in the middle of the day unless I was sick, but it was so good! Then we went to the village for dinner and, of course, some more pins... I have so many now, I'm actually writing down the ones I get. I'm treating this like a business now. I'm happy to report I finally got South Africa! I'm very happy, that one obviously means a lot to me. I also got a second Qatar pin - often times, countries will have more than one pin, and this one is really pretty. I also got Ethiopia, Cyprus and the Philippines. I got a Luxembourg one too, but I think that's a double too. I still haven't hooked the Cook Islands one I got yesterday onto my strap. I don't know if I'll even take it out of the plastic it came in!! I tried to get Namibia again today; I saw some people from Namibia and I started talking to them in Afrikaans, which is my first language, but they looked at me and joked that I looked lost - I was covered in Team USA clothing so I don't blame them for getting confused! Anyway, they didn't have any pins on them, but said they'd bring me one. Hopefully I'll run into them again.

I have to tell you a funny story about yesterday... I wasn't supposed to be pin swapping but at lunch I was dying to get the Angola pin, so I asked my teammate if I could go to the next table and ask for it, and they let me. Anyway they said they didn't have any pins on them and said I could go back to their place and get one, but because I didn't really know who they were, I was hesitant to do that! So I told them we had to get back on the bus, a little bit of a white lie I guess :) Well anyway, today I watched China playing Angola in basketball and I saw my friends right there on the TV! Haha... hopefully they'll understand!

I'm really not like this normally. All my life I've never collected anything... except for tennis plates. I like to collect antique tennis plates. They can be as old as 1880 and upto 1980 even. They can have any sort of tennis design on them, but I'm a bit picky about the quality of them. I don't want a million of them. I usually just get one or two per year. I'm always looking on eBay, going to antique shops and meeting tennis memorabilia collectors. It's fun! There's this lady - her name is Jean and she lives in California - and she gave me the book she wrote about antiques. She has plates, racquets... you name it, she has it. I've never been to her house but if I have the opportunity sometime, I'll be there in a flash. She's well aware of my tennis plate affinity. I was playing in the quarterfinals of Wimbledon and I told her if we won, I'd trade the trophy for this particular plate she has, which has the picture of the Wimbledon semifinal ticket on it. Normally I hate clutter though, and that's why I'm questioning myself on these pins... Like what am I going to do with them when I get back? Of course they'll bring me amazing memories, but they'll probably end up in a drawer somewhere in the house. Maybe one day my kids will stumble upon them. I think this is why I've been slacking the last few days, because I'm starting to realize this is a bit of a phase, really. Or maybe I feel like I've already got the most pins and the competition is over. But I know there's really no competition, it's all in my mind! I don't know how to explain this :S

A friend of mine just sent me a message to say congratulations on how we've done so far, and that as well as it's going here, it's also going well at home. They gave me an update on my dogs and everything. One thing we don't get asked about much is what it's like being away from home so much; I can tell you it's always hard being away from home. I miss the dogs, my family, I even miss my bed. It was very thoughtful of them to send me an update - thank you! One funny difference is that at home, I always read the USA Today in the morning; here we get it at night, so I read it before going to bed. I'm not sure which day I'm on :)

My doubles partner just messaged me too, asking if I'm watching the match on TV now, which one of our teammates is playing. I'll try and find it for sure, and I hope she wins :) I almost never watch TV though. I don't even know how to work a remote control properly! Whenever me and my husband go to hotels, the first thing he does is switch the TV on. I was brought up in South Africa when we never watched TV. I just like the peace and quiet. Sometimes we'll have the TV on but I keep it on mute. But nowadays in the US, TV is on all the time. Meals, before going to sleep... when I have kids I'll have to lay the law down!

Earlier in the day, another one of our male teammates had an amazing win over the world No.1 to reach the semifinals. He had never won a set off of him before but today he won two of them to beat him for the first time. It was phenomenal. I was right there in the stands, screaming so much, so if you heard me - probably something along the lines of "Come on, you can do it!", then that was probably me. And I have the hoarse throat to prove it now!

On another note, you may be wondering why I haven't named a single person by name all week. It might sound odd seeing me call people "teammates", "doubles partner", "world No.1"... It's because the International Olympic Committee has official guidelines stating I can't refer to any of the other athletes competing here by name. But hopefully it's pretty obvious who I've been talking about all week!!!

China wrapped up a lot of medals today. That's not good news for Team USA! It seems like the Chinese are good at everything. They knew they were going to host these games for a while and I think they really prepared for it. From fencing to swimming to table tennis, it's just amazing how every time I look at the medal podium, China is getting a medal. It's remarkable that they can be this good at absolutely everything. And I doubt this is going to be a one off. But it's obviously inspiring to play in your home country. All I'll say is 2016 - go Chicago! I gave someone a USA pin this week and they went to give me a Madrid 2016 pin, but I said it was okay and they could keep it... I'm for 2016 Chicago!

I'm amazed they got any tennis in tonight. We all thought the whole day would be cancelled because of the rain. When we left the courts there was still a bunch of matches to go on. It's now 11:15pm - they'll go until 1am or 2am, for sure. But it's really fun. The atmosphere is great. They'll probably be shooting for Sunday finals now though; they originally had some finals on the Saturday. Finishing on time seems impossible now.

We ended up not hitting today. After yesterday's tough match it all sort of caught up with me - the flying, the activities, the jet lag - and so today was a nice break. We know our quarterfinal opponents now - the Spanish team won their second round match today - and it will be a tough one, so I'm happy we'll be fresh for it. My regular partner and I played them in the semifinals of Roland Garros and they played incredibly and went on to win the title. But this is a different surface and we're an aggressive team, so hopefully that will give us a bit of an edge. I have a partner who is very powerful and I believe in her 100%; I'm sure she believes in me 100%. We'll compete hard. We're so close to the medal round, we're going to fight so hard. We're just thinking about the first point, the first game...

For now, I got the chicken sandwich again... I'm terrible. I feel disgusted. I'm so off the sandwich by now that I can only eat half of it. We had dinner around 6:30pm so of course I got hungry now. But like I've said before, it's a good sandwich. I don't know how many more I can eat this week though! I can't wait to go to New Haven next week. They have this restaurant program where you get a free meal at one of the Top 25 restaurants in the city. It's one of my favorite weeks of the year. So I can get skinny this week on half-chicken sandwiches because next week will make up for it! They have this competition too, where the player who goes to the most restaurants in New Haven wins a prize. I've won it the last two years. In 2006 I won World Series tickets and last year I won a really nice handbag. I'll probably get there a bit late this year so someone else might take my title... but I can't get too greedy. First tennis then pin collecting, now the restaurant competition? I think I need to take a step back :)

Goodnight and talk to you tomorrow!

Liezel

---------------------------------------------------------

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Hey everyone!

It's been more than 24 hours since I've updated my blog... I promise it wasn't on purpose! You see we lost our quarterfinal match last night. Our scores were 57 76(6) 86. If you looked at the total points won, I am sure it was very even. The match was that close! We never had any match points, but came within two points of winning... Obviously we are very disappointed and would love to have gone further, and maybe win a medal, but it wasn't in the cards.

As you are reading this, I'm on the flight to New York! Right now we're in the airport. We've cleared customs and immigration and are waiting to board. I'm leaving Beijing with great memories. I had the best 10 days ever. Yes, the scheduling could have been better and yes, I would have loved to have a medal in my suitcase; but all in all, I'm very grateful for this experience.

We didn't get back to the hotel until 1am last night. I had room service again and hung out with the team. I don't like to pack! I procrastinate when it comes to packing. I ended up only sleeping four hours, because I hadn't packed. Now, sitting here, I can't wait to get on the plane and sleep!

I want to say thanks to all of you for reading my blog. It's been real! Thanks also for all your support. Please do keep cheering us on, as the year is far from over. Please come and visit us in Houston at Huber Tennis Ranch too!

I will say my sad goodbyes now, as we embark on our 22-hour journey. It has been an honor to share my Olympic experience with you! Go Team USA!

Lots of love,

Liezel

Tier IV Title Holder
PostPosted: 27. August 2008 15:10 

Local Time:
Vera's US Open Blog

NEW YORK, NY, USA - She first cracked the Top 10 back in 2004, and after a four-year absence has now returned to that elite on the strength of some incredible results this season, most recently a bronze medal at the Beijing Olympics. Seeded No.8 at the US Open she also brings us her very first Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Player Blog. Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Welcome to my blog everyone!

This is my first blog for the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour and I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully you will all enjoy it.

Well, it's the last Grand Slam of the year, and I'm very excited about it. I'll catch you up about the Olympics first - it was a GREAT experience. Just playing it was amazing, but to win a medal was one of my best results. I really enjoyed my time over there. The village was very nice, and it was cool to be around so many other athletes. It was a great atmosphere and something I'll remember forever.

I came here straight from Beijing last Tuesday. I tried to get a flight that had a stopover in Los Angeles, but it was all booked, so I ended up coming here direct! Luckily we had a tail wind, so that flight was just under 13 hours, when it normally takes 14. I tried to sleep on the plane but only got a couple hours of sleep. I'm still a bit jetlagged - sometimes I'm finding myself falling asleep at 9pm and waking up a bit too early in the morning - but it's definitely getting better!

I took a day off right when I got here. It was good to have a break from tennis but I also really like this city. I come here once a year and it's so different from everywhere else. I usually like to walk around the city and sometimes browse in stores, but I don't normally buy anything! I just like looking around mostly. I do enjoy Starbucks, though :) There are about four of them right near the hotel, and lots of players go there for breakfast or coffee. I wouldn't say the coffee is the best in the world - it's good, but a lot of other places have good coffee too - but the atmosphere in there is so nice. So it has become a bit of a routine, going to Starbucks every day! They're everywhere. It's never a problem to find one.

I played my first match of the tournament yesterday, Monday, against Barbora Zahlavova Strycova. She's a very good player. I've known her for years because we played in the juniors together. I knew she was a good competitor going into the match. Luckily I was able to win, and in two sets too. I came up with the good shots when I needed them and I think everything worked out well for me.

Playing on these courts was actually quite an adjustment. It's different from Beijing - the courts, the balls, the atmosphere... Fair enough, it's obviously a different continent :) But it has taken some time to get used to it. I feel very good now though. Those days of practice last week and over the weekend paid off.

Today I actually had the day off. Sometimes when I'm exhausted, the best day for me is just staying in bed at the hotel and watching TV or movies! Sometimes, I feel like going out and doing things. I'm not really a sightseeing person. I can go somewhere for maybe 15 or 20 minutes, but I can't do tours or stay anywhere too long. I like walking around New York and going to the stores. This is one of the best cities for shopping. I said before I don't normally buy much, and I didn't buy anything today, but I did look around. I will definitely let you know if I do get anything. I also like reading. I'm studying international economic relations at University right now and I have a lot of books I need to read, so I usually read a few hours every day to stay on top of things. Whenever I go back home I have exams, so I really don't want to fall behind! Of course, it's tough to remember everything afterwards :)

I finished practice about an hour ago and am about to leave the site for the day. I'll probably go back and grab dinner somewhere around the hotel, then go back and watch a movie or something. I'm not sure which one - it depends what's on TV. I was watching the Olympics the last few days, but now that it's over I'll have to find something else. I'm feeling like maybe a comedy... I can watch anything new that's coming out of Hollywood though. The only type of movie I don't like is horror. I'm not sure why, but it's probably something to do with me getting so scared of them when I was a kid :( I just avoid them altogether now!

I have my second round against Tatiana Perebiynis tomorrow. I've known her for a long time. She comes from Ukraine so we speak the same language. I also remember her from the juniors. She's a very nice girl but a tough opponent. I know I will have to try my best. We'll see how it goes!

Vera

-----------------------------------
Thursday, August 28, 2008

It was a tough day yesterday. Unfortunately I lost my singles, although I'm happy I was able to go back and win my doubles. About the singles match, I was disappointed - not that I lost the match, because she's a good player, but more the way I played. My level wasn't quite there from the beginning and I was losing the way I was playing; it was too bad I couldn't turn things around. Tatiana was very solid, and did what she needed to do to win the match. I know I'm capable of playing much better tennis. But this happens sometimes. I'm hoping to work on a few things and next time will be better :)

After the singles I had about two hours before my doubles match. I stretched a little, had some lunch and pretty much just went back on court! It looked like it wasn't going to be my day as we went down 3-0 in the first set, but me and my partner - Elena Vesnina - have a lot of fun on the court and were just trying to laugh about some of the easy mistakes we were making. We like to stay positive on the court. We were also trying to find a way to win that match. After losing the first three games we started finding our rhythm and it started getting a bit closer. I think the other team was up 5-3 at one point, but by then we were playing well. We ended up winning, 75 62, and I'm really proud of that because it was tough coming off a singles loss and staying in a positive mindset again.

By the time I came back to the hotel it was pretty late, about 10:30 at night. I got room service and saw a really good movie on TV starring Nicolas Cage, where he plays a cop, and his dad - who is also a cop - gets killed, and he's trying to find out what happened. When I first started watching it I thought it was a little weird but I couldn't stop watching it! If any of you guys know, tell me!

I didn't have any matches today, so I've been doing other things. I started off my day by going to the gym for half an hour then grabbing a big breakfast at the cafe across the street from the hotel. Actually I had my food there, but got my drink at Starbucks - and it wasn't a coffee this time, it was a Berry Blosson team. Very nice! Then I went to the Chinese embassy here in New York to get my visa, so I can play in Beijing next month. There was a HUGE line-up and I wasn't sure which line to get into, so I asked the security guy, and he goes 'I remember you, you come here every year!' It was pretty funny. And it's true, I do go there for a visa every year. I went back there in the afternoon to pick the visa up.

I just got some things from the pharmacy and will head to the tournament for practice. Elena is playing tonight at 7pm against Serena. I'll probably be done and gone by the time she starts but I'll definitely catch it on TV. I'm not sure if we play our next doubles match tomorrow or on Saturday but it's going to be a tough one too, as we play the winners of Davenport and Hantuchova against Perebiynis (who beat me in singles!) and Koryttseva. We'll see who wins that then discuss how we'll prepare for it. We will definitely need to be ready!

As I spend more time in New York I realize how much I like it. And there's a few reasons for that. I was born and raised in Moscow, and it's a bit crazy out there as well, so I'm totally used to this environment. And we really don't have to deal with too much of it as players - we get a car - a Lexus, too - to and from the tournament whenever we want. But even if we didn't I wouldn't mind it. After the traffic in Moscow, where you're sometimes stopped for up to two hours, it's not a big deal at all! Especially when I have my iPod, it's all good :)

Speaking of iPods, I've already lost two Shuffles... I had a pink one and lost it. I had a purple one and lost it. Now I have a blue one, and I'm trying hard not to let what happened to the other ones happen to this one! There's an Apple store a few streets away from the hotel that I may go to before I leave. If any of you have suggestions for the color of my next iPod, I'd love to hear them!

I'm probably just going to take it easy tonight. I might be going out for dinner - every year I get invited to this restaurant, a steak house, and I've gone every year except for last year, so maybe I'll make my comeback tonight :) Other than that I might try and find another good movie on TV and, like I said, try to catch some of Elena's match. That's all for now... I'll talk to you guys after our match!

Vera

-------------------------
Saturday, August 30, 2008

Hello again everyone, thanks for reading and I hope you're all doing well :)

Well, today I played my last match of this US Open. Elena and I lost to Lindsay and Daniela in our second doubles match. I don't think either team played its best tennis but they did really well on the important points. We had leads in quite a few of the games we lost, we had a hard time converting on them though. They were too good. Although we lost, I did have a lot of fun on the court with Elena. We always have a good time. We'll encourage each other and on changeovers we'll chat about tennis and other things. It helps take your minds off of any mistakes. Anyway, I had a good time and look forward to our future matches.

Although I didn't feel physically or mentally tired this week, I think I probably was. It's hard to switch your mind from the Olympics to the US Open. It was my first Olympics and I was so excited, and of course getting the medal was such a special moment for me. But coming from such an amazing experience halfway across the world and refocusing on the daily practices, matches and everything else is a bit difficult. Don't get me wrong though - I was very excited about the US Open. It's great to compete at any Grand Slam. I tried my best; unfortunately I wasn't able to make it as far as I would have liked.

There's always two sides to every story. With an early loss there are negatives but you can always take positives as well. For me, this was just an experience. No matter what, I know I tried my best on the court, and that's what matters most. All I can do now is work on my game and try to improve for the next time. You can always find lots of positives even if you lose.

So, I have a flight to Moscow at 8pm tomorrow. I'm spending one more day in New York City before I leave, though! I'll practice in the morning and probably spend the rest of the day exploring the city. I might visit some of my Russian friends, because I haven't really had a chance to see them yet this week. My next tournament is in Beijing, so I'm going to spend a few weeks back home. I have two exams to write when I get back; I was originally supposed to write them in May but I wasn't able to, so they're letting me do them now. School actually starts on September 2 for me - new subjects, professors... I'm really excited!

I'm going to get some blueberries right now... I like raspberries too. I would say that blueberries are my favorite though. I like them so much I use a spoon to eat them :) Anyway, I'm going to answer some of your lovely questions now!

Fan questions answered...

Who are your best friends on the Tour? - Tommy, Indonesia
I'm friends with all of the Russian girls, especially Elena Vesnina, my doubles partner. I'm also good friends with Meilen Tu - we share the same coach and have been travelling together a lot over the last few years.

What's your favorite tournament? - Adelina, Denmark
Definitely Moscow! It's the only opportunity for us Russian players to play in front of our home crowd, and it's really a great tournament. Sometimes we play Fed Cup in Moscow, but this is something we can play every year. I've reached the quarterfinals there a few times; I just enjoy playing there.

What music is on your iPod? - Kevin, USA
I have lots of different kinds of music on it. I'm flexible! What I listen to depends on my mood. I like Roxette a lot, and I've also been listening to the soundtrack of Prison Break. I have a lot of Russian music too.

How do you feel about returning to the Top 10? - Mark, Canada
It's great, but I honestly don't really think too hard about rankings. I'm just trying to do my best out there and trying to improve my game. If your ranking is improving of course it probably means your game is improving, but the ranking is not the most important thing for me. Of course I want to win the tournaments I'm playing, but my main focus is on how I play. For me, one of the biggest dreams would be to win the title in Moscow. It was the first tournament I ever watched, when I was six years old. Doing well at the Grand Slams is exciting too. And the Olympics were incredible. Originally I didn't even think I'd be competing there, and what I achieved was the greatest thing I've ever achieved as a tennis player.

Thank you all for reading my blog - I hope you all enjoyed it. Unfortunately it was a bit short, but hopefully I'll do better and be able to tell you more about myself next time. And there will be a next time, as I'm already looking forward to blogging again. And sorry if I didn't answer your question - I'd like to thank everybody for writing in. And until next time, take care everyone!

Vera

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 2. November 2008 17:37 

Local Time:
It's a shame Daniela didn't blog this year :(

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : WTA Tour