Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : WTA Tour

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Re: WTA Tour Season 2008
PostPosted: 2. August 2008 17:50 

Local Time:
|3. May 2024| 22:12
Jelena Jankovic (to my annoyance but i wont go on anymore about it) will become world number 1 on the 11th August, in the same way that Nadal will become number 1 in the mens rankings if he doesnt win Cincinnati.

Scott

http://www.facebook.com/scotthatley1987
http://twitter.com/scotthatley87

Profile WWW

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 2. August 2008 19:35 

Local Time:
I'd say Clijsters was a far better player than Jankovic and her competition for the top spot was Henin and the Williams sisters at their peak. Clijsters beat Serena Slam Serena to win the 2002 Tour Championships and just lost an epic Roland Garros final to Capriati in 2001. Plus she earned the top ranking by beating Henin for it in the 2003 Filderstadt final. In 2005, she finished with the highest year end ranking of someone who started the year outside the top 100 and would have been number one if she'd been able to play the Australian Open and Clijsters was the first player since Graf to do the Indian Wells-Miami double. Clijsters was a worthy and deserving number one.
Jankovic is only the champion of one tournament and she beat Alize Cornet to win that, she's never been a slam finalist and she's really only number one because of retirement, injuries and inconsistency by other players while she's been solid and played a lot.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 2. August 2008 19:58 

Local Time:
I'd say Clijsters was a far better player than Jankovic and her competition for the top spot was Henin and the Williams sisters at their peak. Clijsters beat Serena Slam Serena to win the 2002 Tour Championships and just lost an epic Roland Garros final to Capriati in 2001. Plus she earned the top ranking by beating Henin for it in the 2003 Filderstadt final. In 2005, she finished with the highest year end ranking of someone who started the year outside the top 100 and would have been number one if she'd been able to play the Australian Open and Clijsters was the first player since Graf to do the Indian Wells-Miami double. Clijsters was a worthy and deserving number one.
Jankovic is only the champion of one tournament and she beat Alize Cornet to win that, she's never been a slam finalist and she's really only number one because of retirement, injuries and inconsistency by other players while she's been solid and played a lot.

Thats a unbeatable arguement for Clijsters, she was just the only person i could think of at the time. The only name that comes to mind now is Kavelinkov, didnt he get to number one despite losing about 4-5 matches in a row before he climbed the rankings, or something like that anyway.

As far as im concerned, Jankovic will always been known as a transition champion, unless she wins a slam

Scott

Profile WWW

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 3. August 2008 10:58 

Local Time:
|3. May 2024| 23:12
IMO you just can't compare Clijsters and Jankovic at the moment. Clijsters was one of the really top players on tour. She has always been one of the favourites for the title also at GS.

Daniela H A N T U C H O V A
Rafael N A D A L

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 3. August 2008 12:08 

Local Time:
Jankovic and Ivanovic are first to qualify for the Sony Ericsson Championships in Doha:

I think the race for the other six spots is really between places 3-10 (S.Williams, Sharapova, Dementieva, Safina, Kuznetsova, V.Williams, Radwanska, Zvonareva). There is a big points gap between Zvonareva and Cornet, and I don't think any of the players beyond this position will be able to make up the deficit, unless they win the US Open, which seems unlikely.
I would personally like to see S.Williams, Sharapova, Dementieva, Safina, V.Williams and Radwanska make the final eight.
Will Sharapova and V.Williams automatically make the final eight because they have won slams this year?

media master
PostPosted: 3. August 2008 12:19 

Local Time:
Jankovic and Ivanovic are first to qualify for the Sony Ericsson Championships in Doha:

I think the race for the other six spots is really between places 3-10 (S.Williams, Sharapova, Dementieva, Safina, Kuznetsova, V.Williams, Radwanska, Zvonareva). There is a big points gap between Zvonareva and Cornet, and I don't think any of the players beyond this position will be able to make up the deficit, unless they win the US Open, which seems unlikely.
I would personally like to see S.Williams, Sharapova, Dementieva, Safina, V.Williams and Radwanska make the final eight.
Will Sharapova and V.Williams automatically make the final eight because they have won slams this year?

i don't think so , i remember Venus playing tournaments in Asia last year cause she still needed the points in september and she won Wimbledon that year aswell

Fan of Daniela Hantuchova since the Australian Open 2002 Other players: Azarenka,Wozniacki,Henin,Safarova,Benesova

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 3. August 2008 23:26 

Local Time:
Safina has won back-to-back titles, defeating Cibulkova in Montreal 6-2 6-1.

She served really well today and is certainly the best player in the world at the moment (out of those who are competing anyway!) Will be interesting to see how she does at the Open because at the moment I see her reaching the semi-final stage at least, but potentially she could even win. If the William's sisters have a poor tournament (like at Roland Garros) then I think Safina could be the favourite towards the latter stages of the event.

Doubles: Black/Huber[1] d. Kirilenko/Pennetta 6-1 6-1

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 17. August 2008 11:31 

Local Time:
Olympic Tennis Event, Beijing, China, P.R.

Women's singles:
GOLD - RUSSIA - Elena DEMENTIEVA[5]
SILVER - RUSSIA - Dinara SAFINA[6]
BRONZE - RUSSIA - Vera ZVONAREVA[9]

Women's doubles:
GOLD - USA - Serena WILLIAMS and Venus WILLIAMS[2]
SILVER - SPAIN - Anabel MEDINA GARRIGUES and Virginia RUANO PASCUAL[4]
BRONZE - CHINA - YAN Zi and ZHENG Jie[8]

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 18. August 2008 09:59 

Local Time:
So after all that discussion about Jelena Jankovic being world number 1, she was there for a week...

1. (2) Ana Ivanovic 3612
2. (1) Jelena Jankovic 3515
3. (3) Svetlana Kuznetsova 3455
4. (4) Serena Williams 3341
5. (7) Elena Dementieva 3197

Scott

Profile WWW

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 19. August 2008 12:34 

Local Time:
Any one of those five could be world number 1 by the end of the year. Should be an exciting US Open and European indoor hard-court season.

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 20. August 2008 14:10 

Local Time:
If i had to pick one, i would say Kuznetsova. Because i like her and i want her to do well and she's stayed solid on no 3 for quite a long time and the rest are all over the place. Though like everyone else, she's gonna have to work hard. Though i have a sneaky feeling that Serena will be number one. Above all i would like Daniela to be number one but lets be realistic and say that we will have to wait untill next year for that to happen.

Stay Safe all from Mathius

Profile WWWYIM

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 29. August 2008 01:00 

Local Time:
Another bad match from Ana Ivanovic. Maybe she's hurt or something. And a very great performance from Julie Coin, seeded 188th in the world. :D She played very, very well.

Fan de Daniela en toutes circonstances.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 29. August 2008 12:12 

Local Time:
Another bad match from Ana Ivanovic. Maybe she's hurt or something. And a very great performance from Julie Coin, seeded 188th in the world. :D She played very, very well.

Ana just hasnt been the same since the French Open and becoming the new number 1, pressure getting to her?

Scott

Profile WWW

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 29. August 2008 12:23 

Local Time:
|3. May 2024| 16:12

Ana just hasnt been the same since the French Open and becoming the new number 1, pressure getting to her?

Scott

The injury was probably the biggest reason for this loss, but I see your point. Considering this was Coin's first main draw and she has made $100,000 total by the age of 25, you'd still expect Ana to win even at less than 100%. You have to feel good for Coin, though.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 29. August 2008 13:32 

Local Time:
Forget the injury, Ana is just a VERY bad world number 1. She went from being the chaser to being chased too quicky. She will most likely lose her number 1 spot over the next few weeks and can then just work hard and mature ready for the 2009 season where she can fight for the number 1 ranking once again.

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : WTA Tour

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next