Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela will be player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Apia International, Sydney
PostPosted: 7. January 2016 02:33 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 15:29
Dates: 10 - 15 January 2016 image
Venue: Sydney, Australia
Tier: Premier
Prize Money: $687,900
Surface: Hard/Outdoors
Tournament Director: Alistair MacDonald

Official website: www.apiainternational.com.au

Last Appearance: 2014 1st round. Lost to Ajla Tomljanovic 6-5 7-5

Singles:
Q 1R: Daniela Hantuchova bt Jelena Ostapenko (LAT) 6-4 6-4
Q 2R: Daniela Hantuchova bt [9] Irina Falconi (USA) 7-5 6-1
Q 3R: Daniela Hantuchova bt Lauren Davis (USA) 6-2 6-2

2R: Samantha Stosur (AUS) bt [Q] Daniela Hantuchova 6-4 6-2

Doubles:
1R: Svetlana Kuznetsova/Roberta Vinci bt Daniela Hantuchova/Jelena Jankovic 7-6(2) 6-3

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Re: Apia International, Sydney
PostPosted: 7. January 2016 02:40 

Local Time:
Daniela's on the practice schedule for today on Court 15 11:30 - 12. I'm guessing that she's going to be in qualifying we'll see how she does. She probably couldn't get direct entry into Hobart so she may as well try to qualify for the bigger tournament. I saw a bit of Bonaventure's match against Azarenka and Bonaventure played pretty well in the first set and actually hit more winners than Azarenka in the match so Daniela lost to someone in a bit of form. I don't know how Daniela will do here and it would be very difficult for her against anyone in the main draw. She needs some matches before the Australian Open.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 7. January 2016 07:25 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 10:29
Daniela gets Jelena Ostapenko, the player next to her in the rankings at #84. She took out Suarez Navarro at Wimbledon last year. This isn't the person that our gal is likely to break the long losing streak against, but Dani certainly has my permission to prove me wrong. :lol:

The site is Show Court 1, with play commencing around 10:00 AM (6 PM in New York). There are two matches ahead of Daniela's.

Come on, Dani. You are so overdue!

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 7. January 2016 11:56 

Local Time:
It says a lot about what's happened to Daniela over the past year that she's not seeded for qualifying. Ostapenko's one of the up and comers who won Quebec last year so it'll be a tough match. She had a very contentious and acrimonious match in Auckland this week against Broady where she was nearly disqualified after hitting a ball boy with her racquet and she lost the match from 5-1 up in the third set, so there has to be some emotional scar tissue there. A lot will depend on Ostapenko's mental state and also how Daniela is physically. A win would be such a huge boost for Daniela ahead to the Australian Open. The winner of this plays either Zheng Saisai, who Daniela beat twice last year, or Anna Tatishvili, but Daniela just has to take this one match at a time and focus on beating Ostapenko. QS.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 7. January 2016 18:42 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 16:29
Happy New Year everyone.

So we've come to the dreaded point of Daniela's career where if she loses first round here and in Australian Open her career is basically over as her Pattaya points will come off leaving her close to being out of the top 150.

Ostapenko is a rising star and will want to get rid of the memories from the bitch fight with Broady as soon as possible so will have a lot of motivation.

Just have to hope that Daniela plays lights out tennis and wins...

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 8. January 2016 04:53 

Local Time:
Daniela did show a spark last week when she came from 1-4 down in the second, winning the last 5 games. However, I worry that she's staring at a serious beat down today, and that this may be one of the last times I get to do this.

That said....Away we go.

0-1 Daniela broken to 30.
(Last week she lost her first 5 service games.)
1-1 Daniela breaks back on her 2nd BP chance.
2-1 Daniela holds to 30, featuring ace #1.
2-2 J.O. holds to 30.
3-2 Daniela holds at love.
4-2 Daniela breaks to 30. (J.O. foot faulted on game point for her 3rd DF so far.)
4-3 Daniela broken to 15.
5-3 Daniela breaks back to 30.
5-4 Daniela broken to 30, DF#1 came while up 30-15.
6-4 Daniela breaks after 1 deuce to win 1st set.

0-1 Daniela broken to 30.
(This has long past become ridiculous!)
0-2 J.O. holds to 30.
1-2 Daniela holds after 1 deuce.
2-2 Daniela breaks to 15.
3-2 Daniela holds to 30.
3-3 J.O. holds to 15.
3-4 Daniela broken after 2 deuces and a missed game point.
4-4 Daniela breaks back to 15.
5-4 Daniela holds to love.
6-4 Daniela breaks to 15 and wins on 1st match point.
:!: :!: :!: :!:
:beer: :beer:

On June 1, 2012, in their 50th year of existence, Johan Santana pitched the first no-hitter in the history of the New York Mets. Upon the final pitch, Mets broadcaster Gary Cohen captured the moment with these three words, which apply quite well to this match:

IT HAS HAPPENED!!

Yeah! Woo hoo! After 170 days, let the celebration begin! (When will we learn not to write her off? Me included.)

Of course it didn't come easy. Dani got merely 52% of her first serves in, and lost half of those points. She was broken 5 times. Here are the key stats: Ostapenko earned thank you cards from all of us for 8 DF's (Dani had 3). Daniela won 16 of her 29 second serves. This one I don't think I've ever seen before: Ostapenko had 27 2nd serves. Dani won 23 (seriously!) of those points.
So #543 is finally in the record books. YES! Looks like many of you will awaken to very pleasant news!

Let's Go, Daniela!

Last edited by Alex Isabel on 8. January 2016 08:32, edited 2 times in total.

Tier IV Title Holder
PostPosted: 8. January 2016 04:56 

Local Time:
-

Last edited by Peter007 on 8. January 2016 21:48, edited 1 time in total.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 8. January 2016 08:57 

Local Time:
Daniela next faces Falconi on Court 9. Play starts around 11AM (7 PM in New York); two matches are ahead of Dani's.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 8. January 2016 11:02 

Local Time:
:wav: :wav: :wav: :wav:

Great win by Daniela. Ostapenko's a good player and Daniela beat her in straight sets in less than an hour and a half. Daniela absolutely crushed Ostapenko's second serve winning 85% of them and she won 7/9 BPs she had. These were the keys to victory and I'm sure this is going to be one that Daniela will savour as it's been a while since she last won but she's been winning matches on Tour since she debuted as a 16 year old almost 17 years ago. Daniela can't enjoy this too much as she's got another match against Falconi who will be tough, but this is a good win and such a boost to her.

More reaction:

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 8. January 2016 11:09 

Local Time:
Hantuchova progresses

Another veteran, Daniela Hantuchova, moved into the second round with a 6-4 6-4 win over impressive teenager Jelena Ostapenko of Latvia.

The 32-year-old Hantuchova, a former world No.5 yet now ranked 83rd, said she was happy to experience that winning feeling again after closing her 2015 season with five straight losses.

“I was really glad to do the things I worked on in the off-season. It’s always tough in the beginning of the year, you’re trying to find your game. So I’m really happy,” she said.

“There’s still things I need to improve to get to the level where I want to be. But I had a great off-season, (I have a) great team around me, so I’m just really happy with where things are at the moment, even if maybe the ranking or the results don’t show it yet.”

Hantuchova says that despite turning pro almost 17 years ago, she remains motivated and passionate about her career.

She enters 2016 following a productive pre-season in China with Carlos Rodriguez, the former coach of women’s stars Justine Henin and Li Na.

“He’s an incredible person to be around. I learned so much. It was very tough, very intense, but it was great,” the Slovak said.

“I feel like I’m very thankful to still be able to compete and play and be healthy. I don’t look too far ahead of myself; I’m just trying to give my best every day.

“People ask me when I’m going to stop or whatever, but as long as I enjoy it, I’ll keep doing it. One day if I wake up and I feel like I’ve had enough, then I’ll stop. But it hasn’t came so far yet, which is good.”

- See more at:

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 9. January 2016 05:54 

Local Time:
Doesn't Daniela look great in the photo from Sydney? She's clearly in shape, and her working with Rodriguez again and the enthusiasm she displayed in the interview leaves me daring to be encouraged for the first time in many months.

That said....Away we go.

1-0 Daniela breaks after being down 15-40. (Falconi 2 DF's, including break point.)
2-0 Daniela holds to 15.
3-0 Daniela breaks after one deuce.
3-1 Daniela broken at love; 1st DF.
3-2 Falconi holds to 15.
4-2 Daniela holds to 30.
4-3 Falconi holds to 15.
5-3 Daniela holds at love.
5-4 Falconi holds after one deuce. Daniela missed on a set point.
5-5 Daniela broken after one deuce.
6-5 Daniela breaks back to 15.
7-5 Daniela holds to 15 and bags 1st set.

1-0 Daniela breaks on 2nd BP chance.
2-0 Daniela holds to 15.
3-0 Daniela breaks to 30. (Falconi 4th DF on break point.)
4-0 Daniela holds to 30.
5-0 Daniela breaks to 30.
5-1 Daniela broken at love. (You figure it out.)
6-1 Daniela breaks after 3 deuce, winning on her 1st MP.

:) :) :) One can get used to this! :lol:

Daniela got 66% of her first serves in and won 68% of those points. She won 7 of 10 break points. While not as eye popping as yesterday, she cashed in on 25 of 36 (69%) of Falconi's 2nd serves. Falconi had 7 DF's to Dani's 3. Kind of nice for the opponents to play lousy for a change, and our gal has taken advantage.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 9. January 2016 07:12 

Local Time:
Daniela can punch a ticket into the main draw by beating Lauren Davis. First match on Court 3, shortly after 11AM in Sydney, 7 PM here in New York.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 9. January 2016 11:04 

Local Time:
:wav: :wav: :wav: :wav:

Another good win by Daniela. A strong win in straight sets and one where she takes advantage of her BP opportunities, winning 7/10. It would have been great if she's been able to serve out both sets first time but she was able to break Falconi in the next game which shows her resilience and winning the 8 out of the last 9 games, including seven in a row shows that once she got momentum she kept it after a tight first set.

Davis will be tough in the next round and she beat Daniela at Eastbourne a few years ago, so she got to be respected but Daniela will go into the match with momentum and confidence.

Thanks for the livescores, Alex.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 9. January 2016 11:13 

Local Time:
Daniela's playing double with Jelena Jankovic and they start against Roberta Vinci & Svetlana Kuznetsova.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 9. January 2016 11:14 

Local Time:
|29. March 2024| 16:29
Great stuff from Daniela today :)

Lauren Davis is a horrible last player to have to play to qualify. I remember Daniela played Lauren 2nd round of Eastbourne 2014 and Daniela had just thrashed Vinci the round before but played terribly against Lauren. Lauren is very quick and consistent so Daniela must be patient and has to serve exceptionally well.

To qualify for the main draw in Sydney would be a fantastic achievement. I really hope Daniela can play lights out and win. I fear we will need Lauren to be quite off her game though for Daniela to progress...this season has already gotten stressfull!

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next