Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Talk about Daniela

Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 75  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Career Grand Slam
 Post subject: Re: Articles & Interviews
PostPosted: 18. December 2013 19:19 

Local Time:
|12. May 2024| 01:28
Lisicki split with Sanchez because she didn't like the more defensive style he tried to get her to play. She wanted to stay true to her aggressive shotmaking-seems fair enough to me.

There is a real chance Sabine and Daniela will meet in the Fed cup match-should be fun!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 23. December 2013 15:49 

Local Time:
|12. May 2024| 00:28
Evergreen Daniela Hantuchova hopes to get the jump on Serena and Maria
Damien Stannard
The Courier-Mail
December 23, 2013 10:00PM

DANIELA Hantuchova's winning edge is underpinned by a simple philosophy.

To beat the world's best tennis players you have rise earlier, work harder and go home later.

There are no shortcuts for this 30-year-old as she aims to start the season with a bang by arriving for next week's Brisbane International better prepared than the top seeds.

"It's going to be a tough tournament, that's why I came earlier to make sure I'm ready for the first round," Hantuchova said yesterday as she outlined her plan to catch world No.1 Serena Williams off guard at the Queensland Tennis Centre.

"That's the whole point (of coming early) to have a good preparation behind you."

Next year will be Hantuchova's 16th on the professional tennis circuit and she is showing no signs of slowing down.

The Slovakian arrived in Brisbane on Sunday ranked 33 in the world.

That is a remarkable achievement for a player whose season-ending ranking has not been outside the top 40 since she was 18.

Consistency is one thing, but on her day Hantuchova can still go deep at the Grand Slams, with a US Open quarter-final appearance against Victoria Azarenka in August her best tournament of the year.

So what is the secret?

"The motivation to improve every day," she said after a gym workout at the Queensland Tennis Centre.

"Spending a lot of time in the gym to make sure I'm fit and healthy.

"I love playing tennis and I woulnd't change it for anything else."

Hantuchova has played in all but one of the five Brisbane Internationals at Tennyson, with her best performance a tournament final loss to Kaia Kanepi in 2012.

With each instalment she has faced an increasingly qualified field.

Next week the will be six of the world's top 10 players, including Williams, Azarenka, Maria Sharapova and Caroline Wozniacki.

Wimbledon finalist Sabine Lisicki is another title threat.

Seeing so many top 10 players this early in the season is an indication of Brisbane's rising reputation and of the depth in women's tennis.

"To have such a big field this early in the year proves how hungry the girls are," said Hantuchova, adding that Brisbane now ranked alongside the prestigious Indian Wells and Miami WTA tournaments.

"A couple of years ago everyone was still in the warm up (in December).

"Now everyone's arriving early to be ready for the first round.

"There's no easy rounds."

Hantuchova primed for heavy lifting in Brisbane
MARGIE MCDONALD THE AUSTRALIAN DECEMBER 24, 2013 12:00AM

SLOVAK player Daniela Hantuchova made it as far as the final of the Brisbane International last year, falling to Kaia Kanepi in straight sets. This year she is planning to go one better -- and she's banking on an early start to give her the edge in the tournament, which starts on Sunday.

Hantuchova arrived in Brisbane at the weekend and hit the gym yesterday, looking forward to a tough tournament in the lead-up to the Australian Open.

"Especially this year, it's going to be a really tough tournament," Hantuchova said. "That's why I came early this year to make sure I'm ready for the first round."

In her four appearances in Brisbane, she has reached the quarter-finals or better three times.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 26. December 2013 15:14 

Local Time:
Daniela's Australian Open outfit:

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 26. December 2013 21:47 

Local Time:
Daniela Hantuchova: My first trainer was my grandmother ...
Author: Anka Olvecký
Yesterday, 25 December 2013

Our great tennis player is beautiful, successful, says he has great luck in life - excellent family around, tennis, who loves to play and can, therefore, is almost a responsibility to not only take but also give. Daniel has his own foundation, supporting children affected by HIV in Cambodia, three years is the face of the project Oriflame Slovakia - Color hospital, which aims more pleasant environment for small patients in need of hospital bed.

Do you still remember on my first activity in the charity?
The very first was during the U.S. Open, when we played showcased Federer, Nadal, Serena and me. I won $ 20,000, which I could dedicate a hospital in the U.S., according to their choice.

Requests for assistance are receiving perhaps a day, naleteli you ever in helping others?
It's not easy to choose whom and why to help, so I early on established their own foundation and I have a table which specific people are going my money. Time gives me the truth that I do well.

What you approached the project Oriflame Colour hospital so that you become the face?
Particular, the idea that it is not concentrated in one place, but the whole Slovakia. Today we meet in a hospital in Zvolen, next time it will Rimavská course and I look forward to every hospital where the children's department jointly reconstruct and thus at least a little help kids overcome diseases in need of hospital stay. Every year we know what to go for whom we do it, what amount and what is paid.

What patient children have been you?
The question before my mom, even though in addition to classical vaccination can not remember any disease, I must admit that I had never health condition very lucky and I did not have to spend time in hospitals.

Do you have a successful season, its strongest moments?
They were more, we win in Birmingham, after eleven years, I won the finals in New York, many, many great matches, friendly positive year, which is further motivation to train hard.

Already have an idea where and with whom you spend Christmas in 2013?
For me, Christmas will be a little chaotic this year, I might be somewhere on the way to Australia since the first tournament starts on 30 January, so if not quite physically, thoughts definitely somewhere half way.

Dream Christmas gift?
A lot of time with my family, with the closest and most importantly good health for all.

Slabôstky, feminine whims that you love to indulge in?
It's been known about me not conceal that I can not resist shoes and handbags (laughs). The fact that I travel so much and I have the opportunity to be the biggest, best cities and places, sometimes you can not say "no" and resist the lure of this area.

Confess sinfully expensive?
There are more, I do not need to talk about specific brands and amounts.

When you see a great piece, Ries brand?
Not appeal to me either at first, then of course I study quality, but the brand is not critical. It must be such that love at first sight, the cry purse or shoes - Daniela, I'm here for you, take me! (Laughs).

Here today, among other things, the speech fell on a healthy diet. It happens like that with taste and Board sinned within the diet, which as senior sportswoman, still have a little different than ordinary mortals?
Yes, jedálničkové sins will indulge example after glorious tournament before the tournament because I am very disciplined. And of course the Christmas holiday are due to violation of discipline and catering at all visits at home with Mom. Resist the Steamed dumpling, plum dumplings and pancakes with Nutella - it just does not, but otherwise I do not feel the need to strongly sin within the food. And yet I find cake mom in the world, although these pancakes with nutella are available almost everywhere. Otherwise, the options are disciplined in my case is difficult also because traveling the world, experiencing different cultures gourmet, but over the years we get together with my team found a path where and how to eat well.

Did your childhood that you want to be tennis player?
Of five years.

How did you come to?
In 1988 he won Milos Mečíř Olympics, when I met with tennis prvýraz, I was fascinated and I knew that I wanted to do too. I asked our so I bought a rocket and I was lucky. Played tennis and my brother, parents took it as diversifying our physical activity. But I was the one who begged them that I wanted the courts always stay longer and longer, they accepted it. My first trainer was my grandmother who gave me incredible technical basis, then, Dr. Bulka aa skvešlí these two people I built my tennis pillars on which games today.

For athletes it is hard to talk about the plans to come tomorrow and injury can all be different, you have a horizon where you would like to end up with tennis?
The sport is all very variable, exactly as you said. Of course my dream is to have j family, but when waking up to the fact that I am healthy, I enjoy it and still be doing well, I see no reason why I should quit ...

Return to sports and women after childbirth and articulate sporting activity with parental responsibilities ...
I admit, I'd rather drag and then given to the family, there should be priorities.

Many athletes aspire after sporting activity practice, you too are going in this direction?
Absolutely not. It appeals to me way more charity, because I had and still have great happiness and I consider it my duty to share and give it more time than before. The second thing I am very fun and fascination fashion, comes with its own collection of baseball caps, T-shirts, visors, another calendar next year.

@ google translate

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 3. January 2014 20:34 

Local Time:
Daniela Hantuchova will play the Australian Open with Raymond
Author: SITA, today 13:36, updated today 14:35

Forty-year American tennis player Raymond is a unit of a past world ranking in doubles.

MELBOURNE 3 (Reuters) - Slovak tennis player Daniela Hantuchova signed up for the women's doubles Grand Slam of the season opening Australian Open at Melbourne (Jan 13 to 26) with an American Lisa Raymond, who last played with the late September and early October in Beijing and advanced to finals.

Forty-year Raymond is a unit of a past world leader in this discipline, currently appears on 29 rung, Hantuchova is one of 49 position.

Applications are to Monday's closing only provisional, the composition of pairs may still change. Dominika Cibulkova is enrolled with a Belgian woman Yanina Wickmayer, Janette Husárová with Taiwančankou Ch'an Jung-Tan, John Čepelová with Czech Renata Voracova and Carolina Schmiedlová with Gruzínkou Anna Tatišviliovou.

Hantuchova last year in Deblov attracted attention through cooperation with Swiss-born Martina Hingis, both are also presented at the December Bratislava showing classes Tennis Classic. And Swiss is at the beginning of the year competition law only exhibition program.

@ google translate

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 3. January 2014 20:40 

Local Time:
Australian Open: Cibulkova, Hantuchova also deployed Rybáriková

Today | 13:40 BRATISLAVA - Slovak tennis players Dominika Cibulkova, Daniela Hantuchova and Magdalena Rybarikova will be the opening Grand Slam of the season 2014 Australian Open at Melbourne (Jan 13 to 26) among the 32 seeded in the women's singles. Decided by the results of this week's tournament in combination with the Advice of absence.

Cibulkova figures for 21 position in the unofficial online version of the conversion renkingu challenger after deduction of French women Marion Bartoli, in which the National Association of Tennis Australia (TA) when publishing applications heralded ubudnutie of computer ranking first in this year's version. Regardless Bartoli has ended his career.

Hantuchova calculated at 6 January 32 include and Rybáriková 33 post. Just as the Cibulkova while deployed in the assessment move at least one space up, as Russia's Maria Kirilenko (19 in ratings on 30 December) will miss the AO.

Deployment on single men and women will be under the world rankings to sixth January Seeded players have the advantage that the renkingovo above the opponents to the said date may encounter in the first 3 round. Of Sloveniek will "main draw" play both John and Čepelová Carolina Schmiedlová, between men Lukas Lacko.

@ google translate

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 9. January 2014 17:14 

Local Time:
Daniela is the official wimbledon.org tennis blogger! She will blog monthly about her life as a tennis player!

Here is her first instalment!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 10. January 2014 22:55 

Local Time:
Prince ‏@Prince_Tennis 3h
Come by the #PrinceHub at the Crown Entertainment Complex Sat. 7pm (Australia) to meet @dhantuchova & @M_Granollers! pic.twitter.com/lt7sB39U3f

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 11. January 2014 16:28 

Local Time:
Russell Fuller ‏@russellcfuller 7h
Daniela Hantuchova is going to be joining us for commentary on @bbc5live later in the tournament. We'll make her welcome whatever the result

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 12. January 2014 14:21 

Local Time:

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 12. January 2014 18:39 

Local Time:
Survival the name of the game in Open's first week: Daniela Hantuchova
Date
January 13, 2014

Daniela Hantuchova
View more articles from Daniela Hantuchova

I cannot quite believe that we have got to day one of another Australian Open already. I probably say that every year, because I feel as if it arrives more quickly each time. I'm not complaining though, because I absolutely love this time of year and being here in Melbourne as the excitement kicks off.

Serena Williams was always going to be regarded as the one to beat at this year's Open. She is an incredible champion and brings something special to every tournament she plays in, especially the grand slams, because she has the big star quality that takes her to a dimension beyond tennis. Having said that, this is a very open tournament on the women's side. You have Victoria Azarenka, who is defending champion, Maria Sharapova and, of course, Sam Stosur as the home favourite - just to name a few of the key contenders.

The Australian Open is often more open than the other grand slams because it's the first big event of the season and nobody knows quite what to expect from their form. We're only two weeks into a new year and everyone in the draw is still tuning up their game. You can often see that from the first few results of the season and there is always the possibility of upsets. That makes it interesting for fans and for the players too - everyone is dangerous; everyone is vulnerable.

Daniela Hantuchova is ready to go. Photo: AFP
Experience comes in very useful at this time of year. I have been coming to this tournament for 14 years so I feel very comfortable around these courts and around the area.

Advertisement
All that matters is that you are in the best shape you can be - mentally and physically - when you walk on court. Each player will have his or her own way of getting to that point - some like to play a lot of matches in the lead-up because they need to feel that they are hardened for battle. Other players want to be away from the radar and to keep things quiet so they just spend their hours on the practice court.

Sometimes that is easier said than done because the last few days that lead up to day one are always full of commitments that you have to manage, like sponsor events and media interviews. It all has to be the right balance, which is different for every player.

These days the off-court preparation for tournaments and for matches is like a science and that's one of the biggest things that has changed in the years that I have been on the tour. When I first started playing events like this there were just players and coaches and that was kind of it. Gyms were never that full. Nowadays every player has a coach, a physical trainer, a physiotherapist and some players travel with a stringer as well. It's become like a team sport in some ways.

The bottom line is still the same though - it's about surviving the first few rounds. Nobody plays well in every match and that is one of the things that you learn with time on the tour - that it's not about playing perfectly, it's about winning matches and getting to the next one.

Twitter: @dhantuchova

Daniela Hantuchova is the 31st seed at the Open. In 2005, she completed the career grand slam in mixed doubles, becoming only the fifth female tennis player to do so.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 13. January 2014 09:12 

Local Time:
Daniela Hantuchova Opens Up About Life After Tennis, Fashion & Lucky Sushi

By Blair Henley / Monday, January 13, 2014

MELBOURNE, Australia -- She may look just like she did a decade ago – sun-kissed hair, ultra-tan skin, statuesque physique – but Daniela Hantuchova has learned a lot in her 14 years on the WTA Tour. Though she projects a reserved version of herself around fans (no doubt she’s had some crazy ones over the years), Hantuchova is friendly and warm in a one-on-one setting. The former world No. 5 spoke with Tennis Now after signing autographs at the Prince hub in downtown Melbourne. Currently ranked 33rd, Hantuchova would go on to win her first round match on openening day at the Australian Open in a tight, three-set battle against Heather Watson.

How was your offseason?
It was great. I went to Tuscany for the holidays, which was amazing. I just rested. Then I did six weeks of hard preparation.

Where did you do your training?
Spain a little bit, Monaco and Slovakia as well. I was home for a few weeks with family, which was very nice.

You went to the Necker Cup as well. That looked like a beautiful place.
We are used to going to really nice places, but that was amazing. Another level.

What are your thoughts on the forecasted heat this week?
I arrived on the 20th of December just to make sure I will be ready for it. I love the difficult conditions. That’s what you do all the training for (smiling).

If given the choice, would you rather play in extreme heat or extreme cold?
Super hot, for sure (laughs).

You had a tougher start to your year this year, losing two first round matches. At this point in your career, are you able to shake off rough losses?
I care, but it’s just a different way of looking at it. I look at it as a learning experience where before it was more disappointing. I look at it as an opportunity to grow or get better. If I don’t win, it means there is still something missing, and I still have to work on those things.

Have you looked at your draw? How much weight do you put in your position? Or do you simply go out and play one match at a time?
Especially in the Slams, I just take it one match at a time. Everybody is here to win, to play well. It’s not like, say, 10 years ago where you could [skate through a few rounds]. Now if you’re not ready to play [too bad for you].

Your 2013 doubles partner, Martina Hingis, has re-retired from doubles play. Did you find a replacement?
I’m playing with Lisa Raymond. Yeah, I found a very good replacement (laughs). It’s going to be a lot of fun.

How tough is it to play both singles and doubles?
I’m actually doing all three. I’m playing mixed with Leander Paes, too. I just love being on the court. Of course, sometimes it’s tiring when you have to stay all day in the club, but once I’m on the court, I really don’t care whether I’m there for one hour or five hours.

This is your 14th straight Australian Open. Do you have places you visit every year? Maybe a lucky restaurant?
I stay always here at the Crown [Towers]. We always look forward to coming back. It’s beautiful and there are so many great restaurants. The year I made the semis, I think we went to Nobu 13 out of 14 nights! This is one of the best parts of the year.

What is your best Australian Open memory?
Reaching the semifinals. Definitely.

You’ve been able to wear some great outfits thanks to your sponsor, Adidas. Do you have any say in what you wear?
Not really. They always try to follow their lines or whatever they have in mind. Me and Ana, we are always in the same line, and we both enjoy wearing what we’re wearing. It’s something I’d love to do more in the future, designing my own clothes one day. When you are with a company like this, you have to follow different things in different sports. It’s not only tennis, so it’s not like we come up with something and let them know. Sometimes they listen; sometimes they have to do their thing.

Have they every given you something you weren’t so excited to wear?
Just like with dresses, there is always one where you say you want to wear this all the time and some that are just okay (smiling).

You mentioned you might like to design clothing after tennis. Do you have any other thoughts on what you might like to do once you move on?
There are so many things I’d love to do. Of course, the biggest priority will be having a family and kids. I can’t wait for that. As far as the business goes, I will keep my eyes open.

Speaking of family, it’s tougher for the women to have both a tennis career and family life, isn’t it?
Exactly. For guys it’s much easier.

Do you miss being able to have that part of your life right now?
It’s not easy, but I always said that while I enjoy what I’m doing, I’ll keep going. I gave all my life to this, so it would be a shame not to use it the best I can. There’s a time for everything.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 15. January 2014 17:59 

Local Time:
Ms.Three-Setter: Hantuchova goes the distance again and again
By Matthew Cronin

MELBOURNE – With her tall and slender frame, Daniela Hantuchova may not look like a paragon of fitness, but given that she has unofficially played more three setters in singles than anyone else on tour — a whopping 263 – and won 181 of them, that indicates a lot of physical and mental staying power.

On Wednesday at the Australian Open, the 30-year-old Slovakian outlasted Karolina Pliskova 6-3 3-6 12-10. It was just another day in the office for Hantuchova, who will display a stone face on court, but is often full of joy off court, When told of her three-set mark later in the day, she cried out, “Whoo-Hoo! It feels great. I am really proud of the fact that for so many years I have been able to be here, healthy and ready to play and the longer the match it’s better for me. I have to deal with the younger players and the longer the match, the more they get tired.”

So does she almost expect to get in a three-setter every time she goes out to play?

“I would be stupid not to,” she said with a laugh. ”You always want to win in two, but I know that if it goes three I will be OK. The tennis you can’t control because it’s either there or not, but the fighting is something you can control.”

Unfortunately Hantuchova faces a dreadful scenario in the next round, trying to stop No. 1 Serena Williams, who hasn’t lost a match in nearly five months and has been plastering the field since she arrived Down Under after Christmas.

Hantuchova has played Serena nine times, seven of those matches at the Grand Slams. The only time she beat her was in the third round of the 2006 Aussie Open, a 6-1 7-6(5) win at tournament when Serena came in out of shape and paid for it.

“I remember I made her move,” Hantuchova recalled. “But obviously she has done amazing things since then. She’s a great champion and I admire everything she has done.”

They have faced off at three Wimbledons, where Hantuchova only won a set. She should have taken her down in 2007 in the round of 16 when Serena was hurt and hobbled, but Serena sent for her shorts late and Hantuchova crumbled.

They also played three times at the US Open, but the Slovakian didn’t manage to win a set there. And the last time they faced off, in New York in 2009, Serena blew her out 6-2 6-0 in the round of 16.

“They kind of ruined my Grand Slam career,” said former top-5 player Hantuchova in reference to the Williams sisters, “Especially the years when I was playing really well I always had to play her or Venus. The only time I made the [Grand Slam ] semis was here in 2008 when I didn’t have to play either of them in the quarters. I think I had chances to go deeper back then, as well as I was playing. It wasn’t easy.”

Hantuchova’s and Serena’s most notorious match was in Los Angeles in 2006 in the third round when Serena took her out 1-6 6-3 6-3. The Slovakian claimed she bumped into her on purpose during a changeover early in the second set. A photographer sitting courtside said that Williams also swore at Hantuchova.

“She always does that,” Hantuchova told me at the time. “She did say something to me on the next changeover, but I’m not sure what it was.” She also accused Serena of faking an injury timeout, a charge that Serena denied.

But that is now water under bridge, at least under the public bridge of pro tennis, even it is still continues to wash over their private ones and take them far downstream away from a friendship.

Hantuchova has been competing at the pro level since 1999 and has played more than 1,300 matches in her career, which doesn’t count Fed Cup, where she has been competed in 35 matches.

She is not as quick or agile as she was when she came on tour, but she still owns a sweet two-handed backhand to die for, has been blessed with soft touch, has developed a bigger forehand and a good first serve. But she serves nowhere with the force and accuracy of Serena, who owns the best one of all time.

“About 80%,” Hantuchova said when asked how much Williams’ great serve has to do with her domination. “When she on it’s like a man’s serve. Her power is incredible and she really serves well when she needs to”

Hantuchova acknowledged that she herself is going to have to serve great in order to win her third-round match against Serena at the 2014 Aussie Open on Friday.

Oh and just one more thing

“Just win the last point,” she said with a coy smile.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 16. January 2014 13:33 

Local Time:
Extreme temperatures put all contenders on ice
Date
January 17, 2014
Be the first to comment Read later
Daniela Hantuchova

Melbourne Park when it is very hot is a bit like Wimbledon on a rainy day. Everyone is trying to stay inside and keep themselves relaxed but ready to play. A heat delay - like we had on Thursday - or a rain delay mean the same thing: People everywhere looking for somewhere to sit or lie down or just find a bit of quiet while you listen for announcements updating you about your match court and when you are likely to get on court.

Usually after the first couple of days of a grand slam tournament things have become a bit more quiet in the locker room and the gym and the places behind the scenes, because players have lost early and there are fewer players, agents, coaches and family. You don't have to wait as long for your sandwich in the player cafe and the physios and practice courts are more likely to be available when you need one.

But the heat delays changed all that and there were people everywhere on Thursday. The ice baths have been the busiest places as players are desperate to cool themselves down and speed up their recovery after matches. They have lots of ice baths here and they have definitely been very busy these last few days.

An ice bath might sound great if you're reading this and they do work to help your muscles feel better but the first few seconds when you get into the freezing water make you want to say a lot of swear words! It feels unbearable but it's amazing how quickly you get used to it - it's still not fun but you are only in there for about 7-10 minutes maximum and you feel incredible afterwards. Instead of feeling stiff and sore in the evening or when you wake up the next morning, you feel like you had a nice rest the day before.

My second-round match went for well over three hours (the longest women's match of the tournament up to that point) so I can talk first-hand about playing in the heat.

Those were the hottest conditions I have ever played in. It's very hard to describe because it becomes a mental battle as much as a physical one. You have to remind yourself that this is the reason why you worked so hard in the off-season, so you can feel ready to face anything. Being in great shape is what gets you through those moments.

We all have teams and people to advise us on how much to drink, what to drink and eat and how to manage our bodies. You kind of have to see yourself as a machine, like a formula one car, with a team of mechanics ready to help you perform at your best. We have energy drinks and gels and ice vests but when it's 40 degrees or more on court, you are going to feel the heat and so is your opponent.

I play Serena Williams on Friday in the third round and it's good for my confidence heading into that match to know that I am in great shape and physically and mentally ready. Everyone knows what a fantastic champion Serena is and playing her on a big show court in one of the biggest tournaments in the world is the kind of occasion that I play tennis for. I'll go out there ready for anything.

Follow Daniela Hantuchova on Twitter @dhantuchova

On days like this the ice bath works wonders
Date
January 17, 2014

Daniela Hantuchova
View more articles from Daniela Hantuchova

At Melbourne Park when it is very hot, the ice baths are the busiest places.

In such extreme heat, players are desperate to cool themselves down and speed up their recovery after matches.

An ice bath helps your muscles feel better, but the first few seconds in the freezing water often result in swear words! It feels unbearable upon entering the water, but it's amazing how quickly you get used to it.

It's not fun, but you are only in there for about seven to 10 minutes and you feel incredible afterwards. Instead of feeling stiff and sore in the evening or when you wake up the next morning, you feel like you had a nice rest the day before.

Usually after the first couple of days of a grand slam tournament things are a bit quieter in the locker room and the gym because there are fewer players, agents, coaches and family. You don't have to wait as long for your sandwich in the players' cafe and the physios and practice courts are more likely to be available when you need one.

But the heat delays have changed all that and made for a hectic time. My second round match went for well over three hours (the longest women's match up to that point) so I can talk firsthand about playing in the heat.

Those were the hottest conditions I have ever played in. It's very hard to describe because it becomes a mental battle as much as a physical one. You have to remind yourself that this is the reason why you worked so hard in the off-season, so you can feel ready to face anything. Being in great shape is what gets you through those moments.

We all have teams and people to advise us on how much to drink, what to drink and eat and how to manage our bodies. You have to see yourself as a machine, like a formula one car, with a team of mechanics ready to help you perform at your best. We have energy drinks and gels and ice vests, but when it's 40+ degrees on court, you and your opponent are going to feel the heat.

I play Serena Williams today in the third round and it's good for my confidence heading into that match to know that I am in great shape and physically and mentally ready. Everyone knows what a fantastic champion Serena is and playing her on a big show court is the kind of occasion that I play tennis for. I'll go out there ready for anything.

Follow Daniela Hantuchova on Twitter @dhantuchova

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 17. January 2014 02:59 

Local Time:
Slovakian tennis star Daniela Hatuchova plays sweet music
Jackie Epstein Herald Sun January 16, 2014 10:46PM

SLOVAKIAN glamour Daniela Hantuchova has more than just good looks and a good game.

After surviving a marathon three setter to advance to a third-round match against top seed Serena Williams, Hantuchova relaxed by playing on the piano at Crown Towers.

Hantuchova stopped people in their tracks when she started tickling the ivories with some classic and current pop songs.

She also took to the court for a doubles match on Thursday. This is her 13th appearance at the Australian Open and the 30-year-old, leggy brunette is always a fan favourite.

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Talk about Daniela

Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 75  Next