Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 218 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next
Author Enter your Message here

hellene fan
 Post subject: Re: The Championships, Wimbledon
PostPosted: 24. June 2009 15:07 

Local Time:
|16. May 2024| 21:32
zheng saved 1st mp leniently ridiculous and then my connection stucked i missed the second mp and the end :grr:
good first set,very average second but is trough 3rd round and this counts
very winnable match against ai
and thanks danka for your present to my birthday
:woohoo: :woohoo:

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 24. June 2009 15:10 

Local Time:
Great win,Daniela! So happy for you :bounce:

Site Admin
PostPosted: 24. June 2009 15:44 

Local Time:
zheng saved 1st mp leniently ridiculous and then my connection stucked i missed the second mp and the end :grr:
good first set,very average second but is trough 3rd round and this counts
very winnable match against ai

happy birthday Georges. :mrgreen:

good win Danka. So happy for her.

Profile WWW

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 24. June 2009 15:45 

Local Time:
|16. May 2024| 20:32

Happy Birthday George :drink: :wav: :banana:

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

hellene fan
PostPosted: 24. June 2009 16:50 

Local Time:
Hantuchova too strong for Zheng

Zheng Jie, who was a semi-finalist at Wimbledon last year, failed to repeat that impressive form against Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia, losing in straight sets.
Zheng, a wild card in 2008 and the 16th seed this year, was defeated 6-3, 7-5. It was a big contrast to those heady days of last summer when the Chinese woman could do little wrong at Wimbledon until the late stages and bounced on to the Beijing Olympics where she won a bronze medal.

Those memories clearly meant little to Hantuchova who is unseeded at Wimbledon for the first time since 2004 and she set out to show that she deserved more from The Championships where she was included in the main draw for the ninth time.

Hantuchova was late for her appointment on court and slow handclapping from the spectators welcomed her arrival. Whether that upset Hantuchova’s preparations was unclear, but she dropped her opening serve, scoring just one point, and ending with a double fault. From that fairly low grade opening, things could only get better for Hantuchova - and they did.

The sixth game was an endurance test, with both players holding game points and Zheng doing well to stop a couple of game points to Hantuchova. Zheng had one game point as well but Hantuchova took that with a service return winner and broke back to 3-3.

For Zheng, this was a real blow and she dropped serve again to go 5-3 behind. Hantuchova took the set with a barrage of winners after 38 minutes.

The story of the second set was more close encounters but Zheng simply could not take a significant lead when it mattered in the late stages. Hantuchova, with her deliberate preparations for each point, was strong at staying in the rallies and also broke Zheng’s rhythm with drop shots or lobs.

From 4-3 to Hantuchova, there were four successive breaks of serve, leaving the Slovakian to serve for the match.

Zheng contemplated defeat by working even harder in the finale. She ran and ran and one backhand winner when Hantuchova was drawn out of the court was Zheng at her best. It saved a match point as well.

But, on a second chance, Hantuchova’s volley winner ended the match in her favour and her wide smiles showed how she felt about it.

thanks christina and chungwit.does anyone have the great volley in second mp as chungwit said?

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 24. June 2009 19:00 

Local Time:
Nick Bollettieri's Wimbledon Dossier: Zheng will struggle to match last year's feat

Wednesday, 24 June 2009

Today's big match: Jie Zheng vs Daniela Hantuchova

I can already hear some of you looking at this match-up and spitting out your cornflakes as you exclaim, "Holy mackerel!" and ask why this little second- rounder is my match of the day. Well, it's not in here just because I happen to know Daniela Hantuchova very well, and it's not because I'm intrigued by the emerging players from the Far East and notably China. I think this one is a genuine match, evenly balanced, hard to call. But there's more to it than that.

I want to use it as a litmus tester to illustrate the state of the women's game, and by that I mean the strength in depth of genuine contenders who can hope to get deep into the second week. Jie Zheng did that last year in reaching the semis here.
Related articles

First, let's look at their respective qualities. Zheng has a low centre of gravity and excellent balance when she hits. She stands close to the baseline, she doesn't back up much, she moves east and west superbly. There's not a whole lot of variety there but she pounds those groundies home. She's got a good first serve, although her second serve is tentative and probably the weakest part of her game.

She doesn't come to the net often, but she's got decent movement and will thrown in the occasional drop shot. Her strength lies in consistency.

Daniela by contrast has beautiful strokes, graceful and deep, and she has a magnificent two-handed backhand. She slices and dices. She's a superb volleyer, which comes out particularly when she's playing top-notch doubles. (You'll know she's a former Wimbledon doubles champion).

Daniela visited me a couple of months ago and we had a chat. She needs constant assurance, and encouragement. She's a winner but she does need to be reminded of it.

What's the relevance of all this to the wider women's game? Well you've got Daniela who is capable of going deep into a Slam if her confidence is high.

And Zheng is capable of doing the same. But if you ask me whether either of them will or even can win Wimbledon this year, that would have to be a no, unless we see a series of shock exits, especially those of Venus and Serena Williams. Between them, the Williams sisters have seven Wimbledon singles titles, and the reason is they are the greatest female athletes in history. And they're still around.

And the margin of superiority separating them from the rank and file to which Daniela and Zheng belong remains big. I can't really pick from Daniela or Zheng, although I have a clear emotional favourite.

Daniela H A N T U C H O V A
Rafael N A D A L

Site Admin
PostPosted: 24. June 2009 19:35 

Local Time:
And Zheng is capable of doing the same. But if you ask me whether either of them will or even can win Wimbledon this year, that would have to be a no, unless we see a series of shock exits, especially those of Venus and Serena Williams. Between them, the Williams sisters have seven Wimbledon singles titles, and the reason is they are the greatest female athletes in history. And they're still around.Eh... how is this related to anything in the article :?:

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 24. June 2009 21:42 

Local Time:
And Zheng is capable of doing the same. But if you ask me whether either of them will or even can win Wimbledon this year, that would have to be a no, unless we see a series of shock exits, especially those of Venus and Serena Williams. Between them, the Williams sisters have seven Wimbledon singles titles, and the reason is they are the greatest female athletes in history. And they're still around.Eh... how is this related to anything in the article :?:

To be honest, that whole article seemed to be pointless from start to finish, but hey ho, she won and thats the main thing.

Scott

http://www.facebook.com/scotthatley1987
http://twitter.com/scotthatley87

Profile WWW

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 24. June 2009 21:52 

Local Time:
Eh... how is this related to anything in the articleNick has always been the master of bullshitting his way through a tennis column. I'll never forget him stabbing Daniela in the back at Wimbledon 2003. :grr: I wish she'd have nothing to do with the old fraud.

And speaking of worthless tennis columnists, I see that Peter Bodo took a few potshots at Daniela in his latest column. It's hilarious how little he knows about Daniela or her game-he seems to believe Daniela doesn't know how to hit a volley! :lol:

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 24. June 2009 21:54 

Local Time:
Next Opponent...

Ai Sugiyama (JPN)

WTA Ranking: 38
Birthplace: Tokyo, Japan
Height: 5'4 1/4"
YTD W/L: 4/13
2008 W/L: 29/27

Head to Head vs Daniela: 6-4

2002 - San Diego, Hard (O), R32, Sugiyama bt. Hantuchova 6-4 1-6 7-5
2004 - Eastbourne, Grass (O), Quarters, Hantuchova bt. Sugiyama 6-1 7-6(7)
2004 - Montreal, Hard (O), R32, Sugiyama bt. Hantuchova 1-6 6-4 6-4
2004 - Linz, Hard (I), R16, Sugiyama bt. Hantuchova 6-2 6-1
2005 - San Diego, Hard (O), R32, Sugiyama bt. Hantuchova 7-5 4-6 6-2
2005 - Zurich, Hard (I), R32, Hantuchova bt. Sugiyama 1-6 7-5 6-4
2006 - Zurich, Hard (I), R64, Hantuchova bt. Sugiyama 7-6(7) 6-2
2008 - Olympics, Hard (O), R64, Hantuchova bt. Sugiyama 6-2 7-5
2008 - Miami, Hard (O), R32, Sugiyama bt. Hantuchova 6-4 6-7(8) 7-5
2008 - Stanford, Hard (O), R16, Sugiyama bt. Hantuchova 6-3 6-1

Scott

Profile WWW

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 24. June 2009 22:01 

Local Time:
|16. May 2024| 22:32
Hantuchova vs Sugiyama is going to be a great match, I'm really hyped up for it.

Site Admin
PostPosted: 24. June 2009 22:27 

Local Time:
And speaking of worthless tennis columnists, I see that Peter Bodo took a few potshots at Daniela in his latest column. It's hilarious how little he knows about Daniela or her game-he seems to believe Daniela doesn't know how to hit a volley! :lol:I expect that any day now, we'll see Dani show off that "great feel", perhaps by hitting a volley? :lol:

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 24. June 2009 23:58 

Local Time:
And speaking of worthless tennis columnists, I see that Peter Bodo took a few potshots at Daniela in his latest column. It's hilarious how little he knows about Daniela or her game-he seems to believe Daniela doesn't know how to hit a volley! :lol:I expect that any day now, we'll see Dani show off that "great feel", perhaps by hitting a volley? :lol:

I wonder if Mr Bodo caught a glimpse of Daniela's stab volley at duece 5-6* in the second set, or any of Daniela's matches in her entire life for that matter lol

Scott

Profile WWW

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 25. June 2009 00:16 

Local Time:
|16. May 2024| 14:32

I wonder if Mr Bodo caught a glimpse of Daniela's stab volley at duece 5-6* in the second set, or any of Daniela's matches in her entire life for that matter lol

Scott

Bodo is awful and I've breached that area a couple of times over at general messages at tennis forum. That reminded of when Chris Fowler (who knows nothing about tennis and less about college football) was calling a Daniela match with Mary Jo Fernandez. Fowler made the asinine point that Daniela is very uncomfortable around the net or that she never goes there (she may not go there enough, but that's absurd). Fernandez came back by pointing out that Daniela is an accomplished doubles player and won the Grand Slam in mixed doubles. Fowler, being a sucker, then asked if she played well at the net then and if Fernandez has ever seen Daniela play at the net (of course the fact that she is a good doubles player is proof that she can play at the net). Fernandez sheepishly had to say yes making her colleague look like a buffoon.

On another note, great win today and good luck in round three.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 25. June 2009 11:06 

Local Time:
To be fair I think alot of talk is based on the fact that Daniela doesn't come to the net as often as she could or even should in singles matches. Everyone knows she can volley well (if she couldn't she wouldn't have won all of the mixed doubles slams). I think alot of people just have the view that she could finish points off much quicker and add more variety to her singles game if she approached the net more frequently (particularly when playing on grass). Quite often Daniela is just stuck on the baseline, and her opponants can consistently draw an error from her. Yes she hit a great volley at deuce towards the end of her match with Zheng, but that is just one point out of an entire match. She could have come forward alot more, and had a reasonably high success rate. In my oppinion Daniela only comes forward when she absolutely has to, or if it would be really stupid not to. She doesn't ever take a risk in coming forward.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 218 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next