Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Re: Kremlin Cup by Bank of Moscow, Moscow
PostPosted: 17. October 2013 19:28 

Local Time:
|16. May 2024| 18:07
Husarova & Zakopalova have won by retirement.

I just hope that Daniela's okay because she was nursing an injury in Linz last week and she had a long tough match just a few hours ago. I hope that if it was Daniela retiring it's just a precaution because an injury would be too depressing to contemplate.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 17. October 2013 19:32 

Local Time:
|16. May 2024| 19:07
Oh no! Hope is just precautionary for tomorrow. Stupid scheduling anyway..the streams stopped working 5-4 so don't know who actually retired Daniela or vesnina..

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 17. October 2013 19:34 

Local Time:
Daniela's the 4th match on Central Court tomorrow, not before 6:30pm

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 17. October 2013 20:28 

Local Time:
Just about sums up her year in doubles. Hope it was precautionary-at least the schedulers have done her a favour for once.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 17. October 2013 23:25 

Local Time:
|16. May 2024| 13:07
Silver lining: Daniela has pretty much broke even points-wise from Luxembourg last year. She should remain at #33, unless Bojanowski beats Caro tomorrow in Luxembourg. Somehow, I still think she'll get into Sofia. Always the chance that a couple of those ahead of her will come up lame and call it a year. (Of course I'm hoping Dani didn't come up lame tonight.)
As for tomorrow...hmmm...Grueling match today, retired from doubles, may well be hurting, hasn't ever beaten Anastasia Alphabet, scarring memory of the still inexplicible 2010 Monterrey final...playing in the opponent's home country....I can hardly wait to see the betting line. But this is why we stay loyal to this great gal. Logic says she has 2 chances: none and less. But logic and Daniela's results don't often coincide. Don't give up....Don't Ever give up!

I stand corrected……Daniela does have one win over Anastasia. 2 after tomorrow? Why not?

Let's Go, Daniela!

Last edited by Alex Isabel on 18. October 2013 02:40, edited 1 time in total.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 17. October 2013 23:54 

Local Time:
We'll just see how Daniela does tomorrow. Pavlyuchenkova is a total bogeywoman for Daniela and she's played well this tournament while Daniela struggled past Dolonc and we don't know how healthy she is after the doubles retirement. It's going to be a tough match but Daniela's determined and resilient and she'll give it her best effort. It would be wonderful for Daniela to win and end 2013 on a high but I really don't want any further injury. She's pretty much defended her points from Luxembourg and if she can go into 2014 fully fit then she can have a good year and get some more great moments and wins and continue going back up the rankings.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 18. October 2013 16:09 

Local Time:
This is excruciating. Please don't let this be Daniela's first double bagel loss ever. :(
Hmmm, a break and her first hold. Hope.
eddy, does she look limited physically, or is this just a beat down?:
That's why we love her. Breaks at love when it looks hopeless. Go, Dani!
Wow, 8 straight points. Keep a go, young lady!
Aah, frig. Daniela, thanks for fighting back like that. A bit easier to take now.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Last edited by Alex Isabel on 18. October 2013 16:54, edited 7 times in total.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 18. October 2013 16:18 

Local Time:
She may as well not be there atm...

Imagine if all players were like Pavyuchenkova, Daniela wouldn't win a match all season!

0-6 2-1 a good hold there, but Daniela is putting too much air on the ball.

Daniela has got to move Pav around more, which is exactly what Pavs is doing to Daniela right now

2-2

Anything good in Daniela's game just doesn't work today, NOTHING IS GOING RIGHT

2-3 easy shot for a winner, in the net on breakpoint..Daniela is rushing and is indecisive...

This is such a depressing match to end the season on...

I'm sure Pavyluchenkova is FOOT FAULTING all the time and no one is saying anything...

Normal service has resumed 2-4 :roll:

Two unlucky points from Daniela, Pavs whacks a shot that was going out it hits the net for a winner. Then Daniela mishits a shot Stosur style. 2-5

This tournament is so supressive, it's horrid...anyone else think so too?

2-5, 3-5 (Daniela breaks to love) 4-5 (Danela holds to love)...

0-6,4-6

Not much to analyse to be honest, Pavs was better in every department and got very lucky on about 10 shots in the match...

Daniela wasn't running for certain balls, so it is worrying that the foot has flared up again. We just need to pray that it's not another stress fracture...

Last edited by eddy on 18. October 2013 17:10, edited 2 times in total.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 18. October 2013 17:06 

Local Time:
I only got the last game which Pavlyuchenkova won to 0. Alex & eddy would be able to give a good analysis on the match but the first set seems depressing as hell. I don't know if Daniela was injured or impaired in any way but she fought hard in the second to make a fight of it. Who knows what could have happened if Daniela had been able to get the first point when Pavlyuchenkova was serving at 5-4 as she's won the previous two games to love and Pavlyuchenkova was bound to be tense but Daniela made some errors and Pavlyuchenkova won it. The commentators were saying that Pavlyuchenkova was dominant on her first serve but that Daniela was bossing things on Pavlyuchenkova's 2nd serve, unfortuantely Pavyluchenkova got 4 1st serves in in the final game. This is disappointing but considering that Daniela had lost in the first round in her previous three tournaments I'd have taken a quarter-final at the start of the tournament.

I'm honestly not bothered about Sofia, I think it would be a lot better for Daniela to rest and recover and be completely healthy for next year. She's 30 now and lingering injuries take so much longer to clear up and I don't think she's been fully fit since Birmingham. Daniela could do with recuperating and having a good offseason to train and build up her fitness and skills.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 18. October 2013 17:08 

Local Time:
Daniela's 2013 season has ended.

Highlights:

QF Brisbane and Moscow
Fed Cup Semi-Final
3rd Round Madrid (beats Kvitova for the first time)
WON 6th Singles Career Tournament and 1st Title on Grass in Birmingham
QF US OPEN First quarter final at a slam since AO 2008
Reached 500 career wins in June
2 Top 10 wins this season

Lowlights:

Bombed out of 1R at AO, FO and Wimbledon
13 1R round losses, the most she's ever had in one season
Ranking got so low in February Daniela had to qualify for a few tournaments (actually failed to qualify in Rome)
Failed to have a successful partnership in doubles with Hingis
Only 2 Top 10 wins this season

TOTAL SINGLES RECORD THIS SEASON (INCLUDING FED CUP 29-26)

Will probably be ranked c.between 32-35 at the end of the year.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 18. October 2013 17:27 

Local Time:
Daniela had some good wins in the first half of the year when she beat Errani, Robson twice, Suarez Navarro, Kirilenko, Stephens, Kvitova, Mladenovic and Schiavone but in the second half the highest ranked player she beat was Wickmayer. Daniela won a tournament and got to a slam quarter-final, but apart from that it was mostly disappointing and it must have been so frustrating for Daniela that she wasn't able to produce her best tennis anything like often enough. Her tiebreak record was pretty bad although she went 4-1 when she won Birmingham and won a third set tiebreak at the US Open. She would have had a better season with a better tiebreak record.
It would have been good to have had a better doubles partner as the Medina Garrigues partnership was pretty bad and Medina Garrigues has been terrible this year while the Hingis partnership fizzled out. Daniela did fairly well with Lisa Raymond and that could be a good partnership for next year. It would have been nice to see what Daniela could have done with a good partner as her brief pairings with Srebotnik & Vesnina were derailed by injury and she only played two matches with Hradecka, Hlavackova, Hsieh & Kirilenko.

Daniela won another tournament and got to her first slam quarter-final for 5 years so that's what I'll remember 2013 for.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 18. October 2013 19:14 

Local Time:
Predictable. Needs to have a good,long beneficial rest and set some realistic goals for next year. She honestly looked like she was playing punch-drunk since the US Open. It can't have been easy parting company with Eduardo,and the Hingis partnership backfired spectacularly-I can't have been the only one expecting great things from them.

She won a grass tournament in my home country-it was really nagging away at me that she hadn't won one given how good she is on grass,and she did it with exemplary grit and determination,plus a great deal on grass-court smarts. That's the big positive from the season. :beer:

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 19. October 2013 05:05 

Local Time:
Chungwit, Benji and eddy, exceptional posts. I'm still kind of a neophyte around here, and I have learned so much about Dani from you guys and the other regulars in the Forum. My thanks.
You have covered all the highlights/lowlights very well. So what I'll do is go through the things that made me happy and the biggest disappointments.
The bad stuff first. The biggest disappointment was the failure of the Hingis experiment. You were not the only one who thought this would be a great thing, Benji. I saw first hand the joy and excitement of the first night in Carlsbad, how Daniela jumped into Martina's arms after match point, how Dani flashed the Priceless Smile at me when I said to her how much fun she must have had. No one who was there that night thought this would fizzle out so quickly and amount to so little. The silver lining is that we were reminded of what a clodpole Hingis is. Daniela has no need for such drama. Otherwise, the first round losses which cost her glittering opportunities to raise her ranking, and the picture of her in tears after Slovakia blew the Fed Cup semi.
The good stuff: Daniela having a winning record, protecting her not ever having a losing mark in any of her full-time seasons. The 500th career win, which we knew was coming but was still neat. Birmingham, the run in New York and the win over Kvitova, none of which any of us saw coming. The 2nd straight Heart Award, lest we forget. The beyond incredible comeback wins over Schaivone in Birmingham, Glushko in New York, and Dolonc this week. And an amazing two nights in Carlsbad with a double bagel and a signed T-shirt. :)
As many things that did not go well, Daniela rose from #76 on May 1 to the top 30. May she rise even further in 2014!

Let's Go, Daniela!

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 19. October 2013 08:03 

Local Time:
I love reading your posts Alex and have so much respect for all the people that regularly post on this amazing forum. Every year we become stronger. I had forgotten that Daniela won a 2nd Heart Award and hadn't realised that Daniela has always had a positive win-loss ratio at the end of each season so thanks for that Alex. It's good that this year has been no exception. I think 2014 is going to be a very odd year as the WTA have changed the ranking points distribution There are now less points available for early to middle round losses. I cant remember the exact numbers but it means that players like Daniela could struggle if they don't perform well in big events. The new rankings points come into practice on a week to week basis, so there's going to be a lot of shuffling around in the rankings next year as those that performed well towards the end of the year will keep those higher distributed points whilst lower points are rewarded. That's good in a way for Daniela as she doesn't have much to defend until Madrid, and those 500 US Open points will keep her head above water.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 19. October 2013 13:00 

Local Time:
|16. May 2024| 14:07
I think the best thing at the moment, besides Daniela's amazing resilience, is that she is managing to win a title per year; something that was elusive to her.

If she just had a bit more consistency at Slams she would be easily top30.

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next