Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships, Dubai
PostPosted: 15. February 2013 21:52 

Local Time:
|13. May 2024| 09:19
Dates: February 16 - 23, 2013 image
Venue: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Tier: Premier
Prize Money: $2,000,000
Surface: Hard/Outdoors
Tournament Director: Salah Tahlak

Official Website: www.dubaidutyfreetennischampionships.com

2012 Performance: Quarter-final. Lost to Julia Goerges 4-6 6-3 6-4

Singles:
Q 1R: Daniela Hantuchova bt Karolina Pliskova (CZE) 3-6 6-2 6-4
Q 2R: Daniela Hantuchova bt Simona Halep (ROU) WO
Q 3R: Daniela Hantuchova bt Carla Suarez Navarro (ESP) 6-2 6-2

1R: [6] Petra Kvitova (CZE) bt [Q] Daniela Hantuchova 6-2 6-1

Doubles:
1R: [4] Nuria Llagostera Vives/Zheng Jie bt Daniela Hantuchova/Anabel Medina Garrigues 6-0 6-3

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Golden Slam
 Post subject: Re: Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships, Dubai
PostPosted: 15. February 2013 22:09 

Local Time:
Daniela starts in qualifying against Karolina Pliskova of Czech Republic.
Second round would be Halep, who's the eighth seed or Daniilidou then in the final round it's be Suarez Navarro, the number 2 seed, Govortsova, Al Nabhami or Rogowska.

Daniela's not scheduled to start before 4pm on a court to be announced. Hopefully she's not screwed over by the scheduling and that she has a chance to get used to the conditions and have some preparation to give her the best chance of being successful here. Makes you wonder what would have happened if she'd gotten through in the doubles in Doha.

The last time Daniela had to qualify was Sydney 2002 and that year turned out all right.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 16. February 2013 08:41 

Local Time:
|13. May 2024| 10:19
Wow if Daniela was to go on to win this tournament she'd have to win 8 matches :lol: :lol:

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 16. February 2013 14:27 

Local Time:
Daniela's scheduled for Court 2 after 6pm.

Halep beat Daniilidou so she'd be the opponent in the next round. Qualifiers face either Vinci, Kvitova and there's a qualifier v qualifier match in the first round.

I was thinking that Memphis may be a better tournament to enter as Daniela would get in the main draw and she'd get 30 points for a win compared to 20 for qualifying here and it's not really that strong a field in Memphis. Then again, Daniela's playing Kuala Lumpur next week where the opportunities will be as good and the travelling will be less disruptive, she'll also want to challenge herself and get wins. After this, she hardly has any points to defend, she only has has Miami 3rd round, Eastbourne, Cincinnati and Tokyo 2nd rounds between now and Luxembourg so she has so many opportunities to gain points.

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 16. February 2013 15:26 

Local Time:
1st set vs. Pliskova
1-0. Daniela holds to 0
1-1. Pliskova holds to 0
1-2. Daniela got broken to 30
1-3. Daniela saves 3 GP's, BP, BP, GP, GP and Pliskova holds
1-4. Daniela broken to 15 , df#1+2
2-4. Pliskova broken to 30
3-4. Daniela holds to 15, ace#1
3-5. Pliskova holds to 30
3-6. Daniela saves 1 SP ,GP, SP and set. ace#2+3

2nd set
0-1. Pliskova holds to 0
1-1. Daniela holds to 15, ace#4
2-1. Daniela saves 2 GP's to get the break
3-1. Daniela holds to 15
4-1.
5-1. Daniela holds to 30 with 2nd GP
5-2.
6-2. Daniela holds with the 3rd SP

I'm now off to stadium to watch Borussia Dortmund vs. Frankfurt ;) Hope for a win for daniela!

Last edited by Patti1989 on 16. February 2013 16:34, edited 3 times in total.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 16. February 2013 15:50 

Local Time:
Definitely not expecting her to win today, after a grueling schedule the last few weeks. I hope she doesn't get too upset and just has a go..

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 16. February 2013 16:37 

Local Time:
Daniela just won the second set 6-2. Pretty good stats in the second set, serving well and 2/2 on BPs. I'd have liked her to be serving first in the third but it shouldn't matter as long as she keeps serving well.

Third set:

0-1, Pliskova holds. Daniela was 0-30 up but never had a BP, saved a GP at 40-30.
0-2, Daniela broken to 15.
1-2, Daniela breaks to 15. Pliskova 4/5 1st serve points won, 2/8 second serve points.
2-2, Daniela holds to 30.
3-2, Daniela breaks to 15.
4-2, Daniela wins a long game on her 4th? 5th GP GP, she had to save a BP.
4-3, Pliskova eventually holds on her 4th or 5th GP. Daniela had a BP on Pliskova's 2nd serve but couldn't take it and Pliskova won some points on her 2nd serve to finish the game.
5-3, Daniela holds from 15-30 down on her 2nd GP.
5-4, Pliskova holds to 0. She's won 6 2nd serve points in a row.
6-4, Daniela serves it out to 15, winning on her 1st MP after 2 hr 13 minutes. :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav:

I've got to admit that was a great battling and fighting performance from Daniela and it says a hell of a lot about her character that she fights like that to win a match like this on an outside court after all the tennis she's played over the past week. She played her best tennis in the second set and that was when she served her best. In the third set she only got 44% 1st serves in, although she was 10/16 1st serve & 11/20 2nd serve points won. It was crucial that she served it out at 5-4, because Pliskova was starting to serve well and it would have been tough for Daniela to break her or go on and win a tiebreak. When the scoreboard went 0-15 when Daniela was serving for it I was a little tense but hse won the next 4 points for the match so that kept my peace. Daniela was really helped that she was able to take advantage of Pliskova's 2nd serve in the third and she was 10/13 returning that 2nd serve at the start of the third set but then Pliskova started defending it better and Daniela wasn't getting too much joy against the first serve when Pliskova got it in. Anyway, I'm really happy and proud of Daniela that she got through this although this will have taken a lot out of her for tomorrow. Halep's a decent player and she beat Daniela in similar circumstances in Doha last year so it'll be a tough match but hopefully Daniela will be rested and refreshed for tomorrow. Nesfield can earn her pay getting Daniela ready.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 16. February 2013 17:36 

Local Time:
Seriously too old for this,even the qualifiers are roller coasters these days. :lol:

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 16. February 2013 17:59 

Local Time:
|13. May 2024| 04:19
The last time Daniela had to qualify was Sydney 2002 and that year turned out all right.
That's an understatement, Chungwit! I took on the research challenge of reviewing the 2002 season. For some reason, in the yearly breakdown the WTA stopped listing the final record for the season. So I counted Dani's wins, which came out to 56, 2 of which came in the Sydney qualifiers that you mentioned. Then I went to Google and Wikipedia, where it says that Daniela won 56 matches that year. The WTA lists the results of qualifying matches for each tourney (she played a bunch of them in 2001, but I haven't found a win-loss record for the year). Putting all that together, my expert :lol: conclusion is that qualies count toward the career record. Until I hear otherwise, therefore (drum roll, please)
#491!
Finally, I found a list of WTA players in the Open era with 500 or more singles victories. There are 33 of them, the most recent being Schiavone. I do not know if anyone else is closer than Daniela, but as I suspected, it's an exclusive club, and she and all of us should burst with pride if she gets there!
I glanced at the stats for today's match, but I'm not concerned about them. All I can say is....what a pro's pro Daniela is! Down a set, down 0-2 in the 3rd, 2 hrs. 13 min., flying in probably late last night, maybe still steaming over the doubles loss, now having played 7 days out of 8, she gets into a Danielathon and finds a way. And that doesn't even take into consideration how this might well be a humiliating experience for someone who has accomplished much and hasn't had to do this in 11 years. What a gutty gal! ;)
Oh, almost forgot. It's now 5 straight matches won in which Daniela has converted the 1st match point. Not bad.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Last edited by Alex Isabel on 16. February 2013 21:51, edited 1 time in total.

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 16. February 2013 18:41 

Local Time:
|13. May 2024| 17:19
whew!...good thing she won..well low rank players will to their best to qualify and she has nothing to lose...
Dani should take revenge against Halep...she can do it...do it the Fed Cup way!...this is like a nonstop play from Doha

mOnmOn

Profile YIM

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 16. February 2013 18:51 

Local Time:
Halep has withdrawn-Daniela gets a bye into the final round of qualifying.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 16. February 2013 19:05 

Local Time:
|13. May 2024| 04:19
Halep has withdrawn-Daniela gets a bye into the final round of qualifying.
Will wonders never cease? Our gal actually gets a break!? She deserves it.
Do walkovers count toward her total? I really did not want them to. Recalling that Dani got one over Serena in Brisnabe last year, I did some fact checking. Her record was 26-24. If the Serena W/O was counted, it would have been 27. So, for now #491 it remains.

Let's Go, Daniela!

Last edited by Alex Isabel on 17. February 2013 22:54, edited 2 times in total.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 16. February 2013 20:30 

Local Time:
A very nice bit of luck for Daniela to have a bye. It'll be nice for her to have a rest and recuperate because she's played a lot of tennis over the last week and she had a tough, draining match today.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 16. February 2013 20:32 

Local Time:
Wow! What gutsy win, I had no idea she was 0-2 down in final set. And hallelujah, Daniela will have a day off tomorrow! Feel sorry for Halep, I actually quite like her, not crazy about her tennis but she seems like a nice person. To qualify for Dubai would be really sweet, even if she could potentially get Kvitova in the first round. It's weird to think that maybe they were never meant to win the double yesterday..whatever happens it's nice to see that Daniela is fighting so much at the moment. Im brimming with love and for her more than ever!

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 17. February 2013 10:53 

Local Time:
OMG!! What a wonderful day yesterday. Daniela won, Borussia Dortmund won and finally Daniela gets a bye into the next round :mrgreen: :beer:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ] 

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : Tournaments

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next