Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : WTA Tour

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Career Grand Slam
 Post subject: Re: WTA Tour Season 2009
PostPosted: 16. February 2009 19:43 

Local Time:
|15. May 2024| 14:43

Article on the contraversy around the refusal to provide Shahar Peer with an visa into the United Arab Emirates.

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 16. February 2009 21:07 

Local Time:
|15. May 2024| 13:43
In Memphis , the portuguese "little" star Michelle Larcher de Brito (ranked 124, she's made 16 in January) won her 1st round game against Sofia Ardvisson 6-2 , 6-0 in only 39minutes .

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 17. February 2009 00:41 

Local Time:
|15. May 2024| 15:43
Wow that's ridicolous, could that be the shortest fully played match in history?

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 17. February 2009 09:57 

Local Time:
Wow that's ridicolous, could that be the shortest fully played match in history?

don't think so , but it was quicker than most bagels .

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 18. February 2009 17:47 

Local Time:
Jankovic is out of Dubai, losing in the third round to Kaia Kanepi (the sixteenth seed), 6-2 7-5.
Not sure what has happened to Jankovic recently. She suffered a bad loss to Bartoli in Melbourne, had a tough three-set match against Li Na in Paris, then narrowly got past Alize Cornet in three-sets, before falling to Mauresmo in three-sets. This week she had one win over a much-lower ranked opponant before falling in straight sets to the lowest seeded player in the tournament.
Perhaps she is struggling to deal with the pressure of being at the high-end of the rankings. She will be well aware that Serena and Dinara are pulling away from her and that Elena, and slightly further back Vera and Venus, are catching her up.

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 20. February 2009 02:53 

Local Time:
Jankovic is out of Dubai, losing in the third round to Kaia Kanepi (the sixteenth seed), 6-2 7-5.
Not sure what has happened to Jankovic recently. She suffered a bad loss to Bartoli in Melbourne, had a tough three-set match against Li Na in Paris, then narrowly got past Alize Cornet in three-sets, before falling to Mauresmo in three-sets. This week she had one win over a much-lower ranked opponant before falling in straight sets to the lowest seeded player in the tournament.
Perhaps she is struggling to deal with the pressure of being at the high-end of the rankings. She will be well aware that Serena and Dinara are pulling away from her and that Elena, and slightly further back Vera and Venus, are catching her up.

Yeah , I think that you're absolutely right .
In fact , she'll be ranked 4th in next rank as Dementieva goes up to 3rd !
I think that Jankovic is "suffering" from the same "disease" that affected and it's still affecting Ivanovic after she went to nr 1 in 2008 .

Site Admin
PostPosted: 20. February 2009 07:35 

Local Time:
^JJ will still be 3 in ranking next week, she'll be 194 points ahead of Dementieva. Dementieva is cursed and will never go better than 4. At least her fans say so

Profile WWW

blue webmaster
PostPosted: 20. February 2009 13:37 

Local Time:
^JJ will still be 3 in ranking next week, she'll be 194 points ahead of Dementieva. Dementieva is cursed and will never go better than 4. At least her fans say so
Maybe young female serbian players are cursed too and always fall down after being number one? :hmmm:
^^

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 20. February 2009 15:21 

Local Time:

I must have made a mistake when making the ranks !
I think that she can go higher ! I think she's a far more consistent player now while Jankovic is not !
Maybe IW and Miami take care of that .

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 22. February 2009 19:44 

Local Time:

The Dubai tournament was forced to pay US$ 300.000 because of denying Shahar Peer the Visa by the WTA-Tour.

Although thats the highest fine ever, that amount doesn't hurt Dubai IMO. But it is better then nothing.

EDIT: Andy Roddick will not compete next week in Dubai, due to that incident. A really admirably decision I think.

I would have loved to see also the top women players to boycot the tournament.

Daniela H A N T U C H O V A
Rafael N A D A L

blue webmaster
PostPosted: 22. February 2009 20:27 

Local Time:

The Dubai tournament was forced to pay US$ 300.000 because of denying Shahar Peer the Visa by the WTA-Tour.

Although thats the highest fine ever, that amount doesn't hurt Dubai IMO. But it is better then nothing.

EDIT: Andy Roddick will not compete next week in Dubai, due to that incident. A really admirably decision I think.

I would have loved to see also the top women players to boycot the tournament.

it's always about money :roll:
I am a bit disappointed about this fine. Denying Peer to play because of her nationality is a scandalous offense against her, cause the international conflicts aren't her fault. And all that comes to the WTA's mind is requiring money for some charity stuff. As you said, it won't hurt them.

And I don't think that it is the task of some other single players to boycot the tournament, because it would mean losing important ranking points. They put themselves into the same disadvantage as Peer. So a solution was to be found that doesn't harm players but only the tournament which is at least the case.

Grand Slam Champion
PostPosted: 23. February 2009 19:10 

Local Time:
And I don't think that it is the task of some other single players to boycot the tournament, because it would mean losing important ranking points. They put themselves into the same disadvantage as Peer. So a solution was to be found that doesn't harm players but only the tournament which is at least the case.

That is maybe right. So the desicion of Andy is even more remarkable, as he won the tournament last year. So he will lose a large amount of points.

Daniela H A N T U C H O V A
Rafael N A D A L

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 23. February 2009 22:57 

Local Time:
|15. May 2024| 08:43
I think this is incredibly admirable by roddick! The fact that he is putting aside his career and activly showing that what the UAE did will not be tolarated and he will not stand for this injustice.

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 24. February 2009 19:43 

Local Time:
|15. May 2024| 16:43
Yikes, I hope it doesn't affect Andy's ranking. Is there any news on when Maria Sharapova is coming back?

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 24. February 2009 20:14 

Local Time:
Is there any news on when Maria Sharapova is coming back?

Maria is expected to return in time for Indian Wells or Miami. Her return has been put back several times already; she was expected to return in time for Dubai, for example.
She is on the entry list for both the BNP Paribas Open (Indian Wells) and the Sony Ericsson Open (Miami), but I would think she will just return in time for the latter in order to avoid a four-week stint on the tour since both events carry mandatory status. If she plays Indian Wells then she would be expected to play Miami, and four weeks in a row on a players' return is fairly tough going.

Off topic: Venus and Serena Williams still refuse to play at Indian Wells (despite the mandatory status of the tournament this season) due to previous racial incidents.

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : WTA Tour

Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next