HAPPY BIRTHDAY DANIELA        Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : WTA Tour

Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Site Admin
 Post subject: Re: WTA Tour Season 2009
PostPosted: 17. June 2009 23:02 

Local Time:
|28. April 2024| 10:23
the ATP has a formula they used to calculate the ranking. The WTA doesn't. In ATP only the 32 highest ranked players can be seeded, no matter what their record on grass is like. I thought - well I was about 95 percent sure - that Wimbledon could "shuffle" the seeds but that they had to keep the original seeds

Profile WWW

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 18. June 2009 11:52 

Local Time:
|28. April 2024| 09:23
the ATP has a formula they used to calculate the ranking. The WTA doesn't. In ATP only the 32 highest ranked players can be seeded, no matter what their record on grass is like. I thought - well I was about 95 percent sure - that Wimbledon could "shuffle" the seeds but that they had to keep the original seeds

Yeh I think thats right. They can base / re-shuffle the seedings on grass results, but they can only seed those players that would be seeded regardless of grass court form.

edit: Gael Monfils has pulled out with a wrist injury, and as a result the seeds have been re-shuffled and Tommy Haas has been granted a seeding (24th). The German was not in-line for a seeding ranking wise (this week he is ATP 35), so the AELTC obviously can seed whoever they wish to (within reason), and give players with good grass results the advantage (Haas beat Djokovic to win in Halle last week).

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 21. June 2009 19:22 

Local Time:

Yeh I think thats right. They can base / re-shuffle the seedings on grass results, but they can only seed those players that would be seeded regardless of grass court form.

edit: Gael Monfils has pulled out with a wrist injury, and as a result the seeds have been re-shuffled and Tommy Haas has been granted a seeding (24th). The German was not in-line for a seeding ranking wise (this week he is ATP 35), so the AELTC obviously can seed whoever they wish to (within reason), and give players with good grass results the advantage (Haas beat Djokovic to win in Halle last week).

...And as I mentioned in the Rankings thread, they've given Sharapova a ranking despite her being miles away from the top 32. Then again she is a former Wimbledon champion so not exactly a stupid decision to give her a seeding.

Scott

http://www.facebook.com/scotthatley1987
http://twitter.com/scotthatley87

Profile WWW

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 24. June 2009 15:58 

Local Time:
Great win by Gisela Dulko against Shazza. I only saw bits of the match but she played well with a lot of variety and just about held her nerve to get over the finish line. I was wondering how many mps she was going to need but she only needed five.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 24. June 2009 16:11 

Local Time:
Dulko used the drop shot and slice so effectively today. She had Maria on the move throughout the match, and as we all know, movement is not Maria's fortay. I have never seen Maria forced to cover as much ground as she was today. Dulko held her nerve in the third set, against the odds, and produced the biggest win of her career.

Note: Dulko was 3-0 up in the second set, and then lost seven games in a row, but still managed to secure the win and reach the R32.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 24. June 2009 16:19 

Local Time:
Good to see both Daniela and Gisela telling the Wimbledon seeding committee where to go through their results.

Sharapova's 24th seeding position was the biggest load of bullshit I have ever seen. :grr:

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 5. July 2009 10:07 

Local Time:
Serena is now the current holder of the US Open, Australian Open and Wimbledon, yet remains number 2 in the world rankings behind Dinara Safina :lol:

Site Admin
PostPosted: 5. July 2009 19:23 

Local Time:
Serena is now the current holder of the US Open, Australian Open and Wimbledon, yet remains number 2 in the world rankings behind Dinara Safina :lol:

yes but Serena has done nothing else

Serena GS: W-QF-W-W
Serena Mandatory Events: 0-RUP-1R
Serena Tier I/Premier 5: SF-R1
Serena YEC: RR
Serena Olympics: QF
Serena Tier II/Premier: SF-R1-SF-SF-withdrew
Serena International: R1

Safina GS: RUP-RUP- SF-SF
Safina Mandatory Events: QF-3R-WON
Safina Tier I/Premier Events: WON-WON-SF-R1-WON
Safina YEC: RR
Safina Olympics: RUP
Safina Tier II/Premier: WON-QF-RUP-RUP
Safina International: SF

Personally, I prefer Serena to Safina, but it is called the WTA tour, it consist of a yearly calendar with tournaments for 40 weeks, not just slams. If Serena wants to be number 1 she has to care about other tournaments than the slams and Miami. Also noteworthy is that Serena has a total of 34 titles, 11 of them are Grand Slams. That's more than 33 %. Take a look at Davenport, Hingis etc and you'll see that they won a lot!! more regular WTA tournaments.

Profile WWW

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 5. July 2009 22:12 

Local Time:
I see what you're saying but maybe they should reward quality over quantity. Safina was thrashed by Serena in Australia and by Venus in London, and is certainly not the best player out of the three. She will not be remembered for winning Madrid and Rome and other such events, and she knows that. Its just frustrating when the best player is not world number 1. This never seems to happen in the men's game. The world number 1 on the ATP tour is aways very deserving of it. Safina has done well, but I am starting to think that her achievements don't quite justify her ranking now that Serena is the holder of three slams.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 5. July 2009 22:13 

Local Time:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/8134542.stm

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 6. July 2009 02:48 

Local Time:
If Serena did better in the other tournaments then she would be number one. She had a four match losing streak earlier in the year.
Jon Wertheim at Sports Illustrated said that one reason Serena does so well in slams is that she gets a days rest between matches so can put in the exertion she does and recover the next day but she doesn't get the same rest at the regular tournaments so it's harder for her to make the same exertion and to recover. There also the question of her motivation for a lot of tournaments.
Serena's won Wimbledon for the first time since 2003. Wimbledon 2003 is the last Slam that Serena won that Justine Henin entered. Justine beat Serena in the quarter-final of 3 slams in 2007. Justine retires and Serena starts winning slams again.

Anyway, Safina's got a lot of points to defend in the hardcourt season and if Serena wants to be number one she can go out and get the wins to get to number one.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 6. July 2009 08:29 

Local Time:
In 2007 when Serena suffered three losses to Justine she was still coming back to the tour after a long injury lay-off and, despite winning in Australia, was not at her best throughout the year. Henin beat her on clay, which was to be expected, and at Wimbledon, Serena had various injuries (particularly after that match with Daniela). If Henin had carried on playing through to the end of 2008 I think Serena would have beaten her plenty more times. She thrashed Henin just before the Belgian retired and, when at her best, could always pull out the win.

Site Admin
PostPosted: 6. July 2009 16:39 

Local Time:
yes quality over quantity I agree, but it's not like Safina plays a lot of tournaments and have bad results in half of them. She is consistent on all surfaces - something that can't be said about the sisters. And still I am glad that it takes more than 5-6 tournaments (basically what Serena plays/cares about) to be number 1. If Serena wants to be number 1, she has to show up motivated for some more tournaments. I don't see it being that difficult. We are not talking 28 tournaments but
4 slams
4 mandatory (yes, she'll skip Indian Wells, but with strong results in the rest, it won't really matter)
5 Premier 5
YEC

that's 14 tournaments, minus Indian Wells. Doing well in those 13 tournaments over 52 weeks is a requirement for being number 1 IMO, can't just do well in slams.

Profile WWW

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 6. July 2009 16:50 

Local Time:
Personally, I prefer Serena to Safina, but it is called the WTA tour, it consist of a yearly calendar with tournaments for 40 weeks, not just slams. If Serena wants to be number 1 she has to care about other tournaments than the slams and Miami. Also noteworthy is that Serena has a total of 34 titles, 11 of them are Grand Slams. That's more than 33 %. Take a look at Davenport, Hingis etc and you'll see that they won a lot!! more regular WTA tournaments.

I completely agree with this Christina! It annoyed me no end that Serena said she is the true number one, to be honest you cant really argue that she and Venus are probably better players than Dinara, but why should she be considered the number one player on the WTA tour is she isnt 100% commited to the WTA tour?

Winning three grand slams gives Serena a minimum of 6000 points, Safina's performances in those slams gives her a total of 3200, thats nearly half of Serena's total just from those three slams, and it isnt an easy feat to make up those 2800 points to overtake Serena, but Safina has done it by WINNING other events. Chungwit pointed out that earlier in the year Serena lost four matches in the row (Azarenka - Miami Final, Zakopalova - Marbella 1st Round, Schnyder - Rome 2nd Round, Schiavone - Madrid 1st Round), compare that to Safina in the three events she competed in after her 3rd round defeat in Miami she lost just ONCE, runner up in Stuttgart, winner in Rome and Madrid.

If Serena is so dead set on being world number one she needs to perform in the normal level events as well as the majors, I sometimes get the feeling that the Williams sisters, Serena more than Venus, only turn up if the prize money is right.

Scott

http://www.facebook.com/scotthatley1987
http://twitter.com/scotthatley87

Profile WWW

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 6. July 2009 18:14 

Local Time:
I totally agree with what Christina and Scott have said and you both make a lot of very good points. If Serena was consistent and good enough to perform well on a regular basis, she'd be number one; but she isn't so she's not.

Between 2003 and 2007 which was when Henin played her best tennis, Justine had a 5-2 H2H record Serena, 4-1 at the slams. It would have been 6-1 but Serena got a net cord when match point down at 07 Miami, that's a lucky shot. Henin won more slams and more tournaments and was the player to beat in those years. She had her injuries and illnesses as well, but she generally got the job done. Serena didn't handle Justine's improvement and play that well.
When it comes to how fit a player is when they're playing, I go with Rod Laver: if you're playing, you're fit enough.

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : WTA Tour

Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next