HAPPY BIRTHDAY DANIELA        Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : WTA Tour

Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Enter your Message here

Career Grand Slam
 Post subject: Serena Williams
PostPosted: 19. July 2008 21:03 

Local Time:
|29. April 2024| 04:48
Serena WILLIAMS

Residence: Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, USA
Date of birth: September 26, 1981
Birthplace: Saginaw, Michigan, USA

Current WTA Tour singles ranking: 2
Current WTA Tour singles race ranking: 2
Current WTA Tour doubles ranking: 9
Current WTA Tour doubles race ranking (w/V.Williams): 2
Career high WTA Tour singles ranking: 1 (July 8, 2002)
Career high WTA Tour doubles ranking: 5 (October 11, 1999)

Career singles titles: 33 (11 Grand Slams, 1 WTA Championship, 10 Tier I's, 11 Tier II's)
Career doubles titles: 14 (9 Grand Slams, 1 Olympic Gold, 1 Tier I, 2 Tier II's, 1 Tier III)

Best grand slam singles performance: Winner (Australian Open 2003 2005 2007 2009, Roland Garros 2002, Wimbledon 2002 2003 2009, US Open 1999 2002 2008)
Best grand slam doubles performance: Winner (all w/V.Williams) (Australian Open 2001 2003 2009, Roland Garros 1999, Wimbledon 2000 2002 2008 2009, US Open 1999)

Activity 2008
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIAN OPEN - QF (lost Jankovic)
Bangalore - W (beat Schnyder)
Miami - W (beat Jankovic)
Charleston - W (beat Zvonareva)
Berlin - QF (lost Safina)
Rome - QF (lost Cornet)
PARIS, ROLAND GARROS - R32 (lost Srebotnik)
LONDON, THE CHAMPIONSHIPS - F (lost Williams)
Stanford - SF (lost Wozniak)
BEIJING, OLYMPIC TENNIS EVENT - QF (lost Dementieva)
NEW YORK, US OPEN - W (beat Jankovic)
Stuttgart - 2R (lost Li)
DOHA, SONY ERICSSON CHAMPIONSHIPS - RR stage (beat Safina, lost V.Williams, withdrew against Dementieva)

Total tournaments: 13 (including Olympics)
Singles win-loss: 44-8
Year-end singles ranking: 2

Activity 2009
Sydney - SF (lost Dementieva)
MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIAN OPEN - W (beat Safina)
Paris [Indoors] - SF (withdrew against Dementieva)
Dubai - SF (lost V.Williams)
Miami - F (lost Azarenka)
Marbella - 1R (lost Zakopalova)
Rome - 2R (lost Schnyder)
Madrid - 1R (retired against Schiavone)
PARIS, ROLAND GARROS - QF (lost Kuznetsova)
LONDON, THE CHAMPIONSHIPS - W (beat V.Williams)
Stanford - QF (lost Stosur)
Cincinnati - next event
Toronto - future event

Websites

Last edited by asj001 on 3. August 2009 11:55, edited 46 times in total.

Site Admin
 Post subject: Re: Serena Williams
PostPosted: 19. July 2008 21:26 

Local Time:
|29. April 2024| 05:48
I don't want be a nitpicker here, but do we really need all these threads on players most of us aren't even fans of?
Then I click to see new messages and there are plenty of threads and posts I am not even remotely interested in (like this one for example) and it can be rather difficult to orientate in it. Waste of space imo. If Scott and others want to keep track on Murray and British players that's fine with me - they are big fans of them, but threads about Williams, Golovin or Nalbandian (despite me being a big fan) are a bit too much.
We had a similar problem on matt's forum in the Slovak section - too many pointless threads and their content was mostly results, schedule etc and nobody else than mods posted in it. Had to clean it drastically. I think this the reason why there are WTA and ATP season threads, there it is where you should discuss other players.
That's my 5 cents here.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 20. July 2008 19:23 

Local Time:
Perhaps this site should focus on some of the other players on the tour rather than just East Europeans. I know this site is focused on Daniela, but I don't see why discussion on players from outside of Eastern Europe can't take place. Having a thread to discuss Serena Williams, an eight-time grand slam champion, and potentially world number 1 by the end of the year, I don't find that much of a waste of space (as you so aptly put it).
Of course I am not the site manager, Christina is, no? So I will post any relavent information in WTA Tour thread.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 23. July 2008 11:38 

Local Time:
Serena has withdrawn from this week's East West Bank Classic due to a knee injury. She has been replaced in the draw by lucky loser Mel South of Great Britain.
Serena will now hope to recover in time for the Olympics in Beijing and the US Open in New York.

Last edited by asj001 on 12. August 2008 18:54, edited 3 times in total.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 28. July 2008 16:50 

Local Time:
I don't want be a nitpicker here, but do we really need all these threads on players most of us aren't even fans of?
Then I click to see new messages and there are plenty of threads and posts I am not even remotely interested in (like this one for example) and it can be rather difficult to orientate in it. Waste of space imo. If Scott and others want to keep track on Murray and British players that's fine with me - they are big fans of them, but threads about Williams, Golovin or Nalbandian (despite me being a big fan) are a bit too much.
We had a similar problem on matt's forum in the Slovak section - too many pointless threads and their content was mostly results, schedule etc and nobody else than mods posted in it. Had to clean it drastically. I think this the reason why there are WTA and ATP season threads, there it is where you should discuss other players.
That's my 5 cents here.

Preach on, Brother Martin, I couldn't agree more. There are so many "who the hell cares" and passport threads. I'm pretty sure there are forums where you can talk about whoever you want to talk with people who really care rather than just churn out spam here.

Talking about passport threads, it's just as well there aren't any Spanish or Russian posters otherwise we'd be inundated.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

media master
PostPosted: 28. July 2008 18:37 

Local Time:
Never thought i would post in this topic (sorry christina ;) )

im not sure if i can agree with martin his opinion. Depends on how you think on the Gasquet and Radwanska thread.

Cause i agree that it would be to much if here are 50 threads just for getting more posts but on the other hand you agree with Scott for his British players cause he really supports them , so it would not be fair if you had anything against my threads , cause you don't know how much i support them. (nothing personal Scott ;) )

But like i said i don't know how you think about those two thread so i can't judge about it.

It seems here are a few people who support Kirilenko and Vaidisova in there thread, so i think we can't be against it. It's the WTA part of the forum, so i think that's ok.

I wonder if you will be annoyed aswell ;) , now i started a Beijing thread and in the winter i will start my Wintersports thread, cause im addicted to those wintersports. ;)
If people have a good and serious discussion in it and not spamming like Chungwit mentioned i don't see any problem. Daniela doesn't play every week , and it's for some members interesting to know more about the other members fave's.

Fan of Daniela Hantuchova since the Australian Open 2002 Other players: Azarenka,Wozniacki,Henin,Safarova,Benesova

Site Admin
PostPosted: 28. July 2008 20:20 

Local Time:
Let me clarify this then, I will go straight to the point. Note that I don‘t want to offend anyone, but it will be the best way how to express my feelings.
Gasquet and Radwanska threads – 30% discussion, 10% pics, 60% orders of play + results + draws (aka info you can find elsewhere if you really wanna know it, 60% of posts therefore pointless, some might argue that pics are pointless too).
As for the British players threads, I tried to be diplomatic in this case. I respect what Scott has done on matt‘s board and here as a long time member and moderator, and that he helps with this forum and invests a lot of free time in it, which is great (you do it too, but you are still a newbie here :P ). Therefore I think I can „tolerate“ those threads, although to be honest I am not very fond of them.
Kirilenko and Vaidisova, well I support Vaidisova just as any Czech player, but any discussion about her would fit into the WTA season thread. I don‘t get why we need these special threads on every player. I would like them better if there was actually some discussion in them. But most of the posts are again OOP, draws and results – such posts are for naught in the long term. They have some questionable value for 1 or maybe 2 days, after that nothing. Discussion is much more interesting, because you can read it next year for example and it will still give you some interesting information. That is something order of play won‘t ever do.

Olympic thread is something absolutely different btw.

Conclusion you should draw from this is that I am mainly against pointless posts in these threads – draws, results, order of play etc. If you had kept some decent discussion in there instead, then I am quite sure I wouldn‘t have been bitching here. Maybe I would have even made some comments on the mentioned players. However, I still prefer one thread on the whole WTA and another one on the whole ATP.

Career Grand Slam
 Post subject: -
PostPosted: 2. August 2008 20:34 

Local Time:
Radwanska, Kirilenko, Wozniacki, Vaidisova, Bagdatis, Argentinian's...

Many threads on other players.

Don't just preach in this thread because I am a 'Newbie'.

Should be a site clear-up if it is that much of an issue. I have already given my response above and maybe everyone should post in WTA tour thread then. I don't see the issue here.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 12. August 2008 18:50 

Local Time:
OLYMPIC TENNIS EVENT, BEIJING, CHINA P.R.

WOMEN'S SINGLES MAIN DRAW, SEEDED 4:

1R - Olga Govortsova 6-3 6-1
2R - Samantha Stosur 6-2 6-0
3R - Alize Cornet[15] 3-6 6-3 6-4

QF - Elena Dementieva[5] 3-6 6-4 6-3
SF - Vera Zvonareva[9]
F - Dinara Safina[6]

WOMEN'S DOUBLES MAIN DRAW (w/Venus Williams), SEEDED 2:
1R - Iveta Benesova/Nicole Vaidisova 4-6 7-5 6-1
2R - Ayumi Morita/Ai Sugiyama 7-5 6-2
QF - Elena Vesnina/Vera Zvonareva[7] 6-4 6-0
SF - Alona Bondarenko/Kateryna Bondarenko[6] 4-6 6-4 6-1
F - Anabel Medina Garrigues/Virginia Ruano Pascual[4] 6-2 6-0

12/08/2008 - A good start to the Olympics for Serena Williams, losing just six games in her opening two matches. Serena and Venus struggled today in the doubles but eventually won through comfortably once they had taken the second set by seven games to five. She will face Alize Cornet in the singles tomorrow on centre court (H2H, Williams 1 - 0 Cornet).

13/08/2008 - A three-set win for Serena today, holding serving just once in the opening set against Alize Cornet, who played some of her best tennis in the first set. Experience proved the deciding factor in the match, and once the American had won the second set she advanced relatively comfortably, winning the third 6-4. Elena Dementieva, who beat teenager Caroline Wozniacki in the third round, is up next for Williams (H2H, Williams 4 - 1 Dementieva).

14/08/2008 - Serena Williams is out of the Olympic tennis singles event, losing 6-3 4-6 3-6 to Russian Elena Dementieva. This is her second straight loss to the world number 5 and ends her chances this year of an Olympic singles medal. She will now seek a medal in the doubles with partner Venus Williams, who is struggling on court in the singles against home favourite Li Na. The duo face the Japanese pairing of Ayumi Morita and Ai Sugiyama in the second round, with the Russian duo of Elena Vesnina and Vera Zvonareva, the seventh seeds, waiting in the quarter-finals. I think the Williams sisters will get to the final, especially since this is now there only event, but after there performance against Benesova and Vaidisova in the opening round, they may struggle to beat top teams such as Yan and Zheng in the gold medal match.

15/08/2008 - Venus and Serena respond well to their singles losses, winning their second and quarter-final round doubles matches today. They are now through to the medals stage of the event, facing the Bondarenko sisters in the semi-finals.
Bronze - lose to Bondarenko/Bondarenko, defeat Yan/Zheng
Silver - defeat Bondarenko/Bondarenko, lose to Medina Garrigues/Ruano Pascual
Gold - defeat Bondarenko/Bondarenko, defeat Medina Garrigues/Ruano Pascual

16/08/2008 - Venus and Serena are through to the gold medal match, defeating the Bondarenko's 4-6 6-4 6-1. In the final they will play Spanish pair Anabel Medina Garrigues and Virginia Ruano Pascual, the number 4 seeds. Should be a gold medal for the Americans.

17/08/2008 - Venus and Serena claim the GOLD medal, thrashing the Spaniards 6-2 6-0 in 1hr 06mins. An excellent result for the sisters who will climb up the doubles rankings next week. If they were to enter the US Open doubles and do well there then they would probably have a chance of a spot in the Sony Ericsson Championships doubles event in Doha.

Last edited by asj001 on 17. August 2008 11:11, edited 11 times in total.

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 13. August 2008 03:23 

Local Time:
|28. April 2024| 22:48
I used to really really not like Serena, but for some reason i am starting to like. im not quite sure why..... anyways, sinse Daniela is no longer around I think serena will win over the rest of the field. maybe even both in singles and doubles! even if it comes down to the williams' and yan/zheng, i think they would be able to just comletely out power them.

Site Admin
PostPosted: 13. August 2008 06:23 

Local Time:
I watched some of her first round match. Her returns were awesome. Even though the Govortsova's serve wasn't the worst Serena could take it soon and return a winner. And she could hit anywhere in the court she felt like it. I must admit I admire players who create winners out of nowhere.

Profile WWW

Tier I Title Holder
PostPosted: 15. August 2008 01:48 

Local Time:
|28. April 2024| 22:48
I think serena will win over the rest of the field. maybe even both in singles and doubles!

wrong again. lol. :lol:

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 15. August 2008 12:07 

Local Time:
They still have a chance of the doubles gold. They beat Morita and Sugiyama fairly easily today and will face Vesnina and Zvonareva later on this evening. Should be a close match but I think the William's sisters will come out on top.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 27. August 2008 21:26 

Local Time:
US OPEN, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES AMERICA

WOMEN'S SINGLES MAIN DRAW, SEEDED 4:

1R - Kateryna Bondarenko 6-1 6-4
2R - Elena Vesnina 6-1 6-1
3R - Ai Sugiyama[30] 6-2 6-1
4R - Severine Bremond 6-2 6-2
QF - Venus Williams[7] 7-6[6] 7-6[7]
SF - Dinara Safina[6] 6-3 6-2
F - Jelena Jankovic[2] 6-4 7-5

26/08/2008 - Williams makes an impressive start to her US Open campaign, defeating Ukranian Kateryna Bondarenko in straight sets with the loss of just five games. Next up is Russian Elena Vesnina (H2H Williams 0-0 Vesnina).

28/08/2008 - Serena easily beats Elena Vesnina, narrowly missing out on a bagel second set. Japanese veteran Ai Sugiyama, the 30th seed, who Williams has not played for over five years, is up next for the American (H2H Williams 3-0 Sugiyama).

30/08/2008 - Williams eases past Sugiyama in straight sets to set up a fourth round meeting with unseeded Frenchwoman Severine Bremond (H2H Williams 0-0 Bremond). Serena lost just 10 games during the first week of the Open.

01/09/2008 - Another comfortable win, defeating Bremond 6-2 6-2. Potentially the match of the women's US Open up next: Serena versus Venus (H2H S.Williams 8 - 8 V.Williams).

03/09/2008 - An extremely close quarter-final, of high-quality tennis, Serena narrowly winning in two tie-break sets. Serena saved eight set points over the course of the match, seven of which came in the second set. Next up for Serena is in-form Russian Dinara Safina, the sixth seed (H2H Williams 3 - 1 Safina).

05/09/2008 - Serena is through to her second grand slam final of the year, easing past Safina 6-3 6-2. In the title match she will face the Serbian number 2 Jelena Jankovic, who saw off another Russian Elena Dementieva 6-4 6-4 (H2H Williams 3 - 3 Jankovic).

07/09/2008 - Serena Williams has won the 2008 US Open, defeating Jelena Jankovic in straight sets. Her first grand slam title of the year, and third US Open title following her victories in 1999 (9 years ago) and 2002 (6 years ago). Williams now has nine grand slam titles; three at the Australian Open, one at Roland Garros, two at Wimbledon and her three at the US Open.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 1. October 2008 19:30 

Local Time:
Serena has lost in the second round of the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix in Stuttgart to Li Na of China. The Chinese number 2 defeated the American number 1 in a three-set match, coming from a bagel-set down to win 0-6 6-1 6-4. This is one of the very few losses Serena has had this year and one of the very few losses she has had as a world number 1.

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : WTA Tour

Go to page 1, 2  Next