Daniela's podcast "The Real DNA" is available on Spotify & Apple Podcasts        Daniela is player/media relationship representative and ambassador at the Madrid Open   

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : WTA Tour

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Author Enter your Message here

hellene fan
 Post subject: Re: WTA Tour Season 2008
PostPosted: 29. August 2008 14:37 

Local Time:
|14. May 2024| 18:04
except william sisters all other players are boiling in the same cauldron.
sisters have fabric of champion.the others not.
btw safina has big chances to be No 1 at the end of year.this says all

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 29. August 2008 14:52 

Local Time:
|14. May 2024| 17:04
Yes - if she gets to the final (and depending on a few other players performances) then she will be world number 1 lol.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 29. August 2008 15:37 

Local Time:
I know that Safina has had a brilliant year but I think it would say alot about the state of womens tennis at the moment if she came out on top of tree.

No disrespect to Safina but when you think of the players like the Williams sisters, Ivanovic, Jankovic, Kuzzy, Sharapova all former (one current) numbers 1's along with the likes of Dementieva as well in there, Safina probably isnt at the top of everyones World Number 1 list

Scott

http://www.facebook.com/scotthatley1987
http://twitter.com/scotthatley87

Profile WWW

Site Admin
PostPosted: 29. August 2008 20:24 

Local Time:
well I think Safina is much better than Jankovic. And I've never been amazed with Ivanovic either. She is good, but the best?? Kuznetsova doesn't do it for me either.

Profile WWW

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 29. August 2008 21:29 

Local Time:
I agree, Kuznetsova is not really world number 1 material. Ivanovic maybe in a year's time. At the moment only Serena deserves the world number 1 spot - although even this can be argued otherwise since she has not won a slam in the last twelve months.
I think its going to be at least another six months before the WTA tour takes shape again at the top.

Tier II Title Holder
PostPosted: 30. August 2008 00:57 

Local Time:
Ana sais that she had especially mental problems.

Considering this was Coin's first main draw and she has made $100,000 total by the age of 25, you'd still expect Ana to win even at less than 100%. You have to feel good for Coin, though.
Yes, but Julie Coin turned pro very late.

Fan de Daniela en toutes circonstances.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 30. August 2008 03:44 

Local Time:
|14. May 2024| 11:04
^True, but even if she didn't, it's not as if she would have been burning down the town on the tour. Actually, the fact that her career took her from France to Clemson University in the deep south to all the obscure ITF stops to beating the world number one in New York makes the story even more remarkable.

Daniela and Lindsay face the fairly formidable team of Vesnina and Zvonareva tomorrow at 14:30 local time on court four. Lindsay just lost to Bartoli, :( so this could be her last ever match at the US Open. It's unclear as to whether she'll play next year. Good luck, ladies.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 5. September 2008 22:50 

Local Time:
Is anyone else watching this Serena-Safina match? I never thought I would see a GS SF as bad as AChak-Sveta from last year, but this isn't far off.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 6. September 2008 13:31 

Local Time:
Is anyone else watching this Serena-Safina match? I never thought I would see a GS SF as bad as AChak-Sveta from last year, but this isn't far off.

I don't think the match was anywhere near as bad as that. Serena played some great tennis, especially in the fifth game of the second set. The forehand she hit on break-point to take a 4*-1 lead was unbelievable. There was some very poor play from Safina but I guess that can boil down to pressure. Safina has said how tired she is in interviews and cracked a few days ago during training and started crying. She needs a well-deserved break and I think it's a good job she didn't get to the final because it probably would have been a very one-sided affair.

Career Grand Slam
PostPosted: 6. September 2008 17:42 

Local Time:

I don't think the match was anywhere near as bad as that. Serena played some great tennis, especially in the fifth game of the second set. The forehand she hit on break-point to take a 4*-1 lead was unbelievable. There was some very poor play from Safina but I guess that can boil down to pressure. Safina has said how tired she is in interviews and cracked a few days ago during training and started crying. She needs a well-deserved break and I think it's a good job she didn't get to the final because it probably would have been a very one-sided affair.

The second set was better than the first. When I wrote that, they had only played the first set. In the first, they both were about 1:2 winners to unforced errors and there was a total of six double faults. So it was pretty bad.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 7. September 2008 00:05 

Local Time:
Alicia Molik has retired. It's not a surprise but still a little sad, especially as she was struck down by illness not long after breaking into the top ten and never recovered.

Daniela Hantuchova is right about everything.

media master
PostPosted: 8. September 2008 09:12 

Local Time:
Now Serena has won the US Open i can only conclude that Women tennis is more worse then it ever was

This victory proves ones again how good the Belgians Kim and Justine are.
It's 6 years ago that Serena won the US Open , the previous years it was all Belgians or Maria that dominate that slam
3 finals for Justine (won 2) 2 finals for Kim (won 1) , 1 finals for Maria (won 1) , 2 finals for Kuznetsova (won1)

Since the Belgian dominance (2003) the Williams sisters only showed something at Wimbledon with the slam victory's of Venus, cause that's still THE surface were power is more important then real tennis skills or fitness. If you look at Serena's victory's at the Australian Open (03,05,07) then you can only conclude that : 1. in 2007 Justine didn't play and Kim was mentally already retired, 2. in 2003 the Belgians where close to their best level but not yet , Justine was still mental weak , it changed after Berlin where she defeated Clijsters (while she mostly lost her matches vs the other Belgian , and since that day the H2H changed ) and Clijsters choked it all away in that semi (ok credits to Serena for that) but after that apart from Wimbledon they never were any threat to the Belgians. 3. at the beginning of 2005 the Belgians were still recovering from the illness and injury's of 2004 ( a year that have been dominated by the Russians), once they were back they won everthing again: Justine won all 4 her clay tournaments she played , and Clijsters started with a victory at Miami while she just made her comeback two weeks earlier.

They were injured for many years and now Kim and Justine are gone they are back , concidence ? i think not
we discussed this all night and morning on Belgian site's and the Williams sisters now they found stronger opponents in the Belgians and they couldn't handle it . But now they are gone and the women's top is more poor then ever they can dominate again without being fit or train like a real sportswomen.

It's a disgrace and a joke for women's tennis that Serena is number one again, she hardly trains, she's overweight, she's most of the time drunk , acting , playing model (how hard is that to believe) and God knows what else she's doing. Last year she's been destroyed many times by Justine at all the important moments in the season : 3 slams in a row...

There's nobody to stop her atm cause all the others aren't good enough for being number one or for even being top 5 , maybe top 10.
In times like the 90's with Graf,Seles,Sanchez and many others, players like Safina,Jankovic or Dementieva would never have been top 5.
Of course we can't compare those times cause it's all about power now and the equipment is much better these days.

But Safina is a worthless topplayer, she chokes to much , her results this season will be a fluke , she haven't showed top tennis in the previous years cause the level was to high at that time, it's not that she's playing world tennis now , she's taking the chances all the other fake top players aren't taking.

Kuznetsova... she had all the chances to be number one this season but she didn't do anything about it, it's hard to believe she's still top 10. Jankovic would be a top 10 Player in the 90's but not more then that, she misses the mental strength to win the big tournaments. Ivanovic is probably the worst number one in history so far, she could have been 500 points or more up against the number two on the rankings but instead of training to dominate the US Open Series and the slam , she spend her time on photoshoots and vacations...

Dementieva is another one to prove my theory how poor women tennis is these days. We have known her as a first class choker and the worst server in history and now she had her chance to be number one of the world. Same story for her then Safina, it's not that's she's that much better compared to her best year 2004 (she's better then the previous years but she was just awfull then)
She's just taking the same chances cause their are no more real top playes in women tennis who dominate the whole season.

The ONLY one who can stop the Williams sisters is Maria but so long she's not 100 % fit with her shoulder (and will she ever be ? This injury is there since the summer of 2006) she won't be a real number one like Justine , someone who can dominate the whole tour for years.

That the Williams sisters gonna win more slams the next years , there's no doubt about that, tennis these days is so poor that ridiculous power is enough to beat all the others who train harder and have more technical skills. Still not as good like the technical skills from Henin,Graf or Seles but ok...

I probably will get a lot of criticism from the few Williams fans on this board, but this is how every Belgian feels and most of the other fans who are not blind for the state of women tennis these days.

With all this being said, it's even more worse that Daniela had so many injury's this season to be one of those players who could take advantage of all this and being a top 5 player again , even tough it would have been in a time without a real topplayer.

I never thought i would say this , cause i don't like the damn women , but Maria pls be fit and come back to stop this and start a new Justine area. If not i hope there are some youngsters who can stop this aswell but that will take some years (Radwanska,Wozniacki,Paszek (even though she's the new Serena in training and overweight), Azarenka, ...) but they will never dominate tennis as much the the Belgians did. Of course they still have a growing proces to complete but im afraid it will be like Jankovic,Dementieva and Kuznetsova. Winning something now and then cause their aren't real top players.

Still im fair enough to admit that the Williams sisters from 2000 to the beginning of 2003 were worthy number ones and dominate tennis like the Belgians or Graf-Seles did. But at least they worked for it those days. Now its just said that someone who hardly trains can be number one in tennis. This says a lot about all the others...

It's just so more exciting watching the number one battles at the men's side these days with 3 contenders and 10 great players behind them who can take them out every time Federer,Nadal or Djokovic don't reach there best level. Roger Federer have dominated the tour for years but at least he had a lot of serious opponents, he was and maybe will be again from another planet.

even tough it's not appreciate and allowed anymore these days , i used my freedom of speech to post this all
I don't expect all of you to agree with me , but i just wanted this to be said.
i have nothing against asj0001 and Christina who are Williams fans (maybe some others here)
And i haven't made one insult that isn't true , i improved myself aswell :D
Sorry if i made some spelling mistakes

Fan of Daniela Hantuchova since the Australian Open 2002 Other players: Azarenka,Wozniacki,Henin,Safarova,Benesova

Site Admin
PostPosted: 8. September 2008 09:35 

Local Time:
^^ This post would cause havoc on WTAWorld. :lol:

I partially agree, but Serena played really well yesterday and so did Jelena. After some time it was a worthy women's GS final. And Serena's movement and defense was probably... the best I have seen for a long time (ugh, I managed to write that).
As for your remark about Federer having worthy opponents in recent years, could you tell me who (excluding Nadal)?

I will post more text when I am back at home.

Golden Slam
PostPosted: 8. September 2008 10:21 

Local Time:
I agree and disagree with your post kallur. I agree with the point that the womens game isnt anywhere near what it used to be and that right now the world number 1 is someone who hardly plays doubles figures in events on tour, but at the same time we have known that to get ahead on this tour you need to have some sort of power game. All of the top 5 have powerful groundstrokes, just Serena's power in unlike any other in that top 5 and she can produce off her servce, forehand and backhand.

It may be a while till we get back to the way the tour used to be but for the time being Serena is the world number 1, and in my opinion despite the fact that I dislike her quite a bit, a worthy number 1, the game isnt as strong without Henin and Clijsters but she can only play who is put in front of her and on this occasion Jankovic wasnt good enough. I didnt see the final, and she may of played well, but she didnt have enough to beat Williams

Scott

http://www.facebook.com/scotthatley1987
http://twitter.com/scotthatley87

Profile WWW

media master
PostPosted: 8. September 2008 11:11 

Local Time:
^^ This post would cause havoc on WTAWorld. :lol:

I partially agree, but Serena played really well yesterday and so did Jelena. After some time it was a worthy women's GS final. And Serena's movement and defense was probably... the best I have seen for a long time (ugh, I managed to write that).
As for your remark about Federer having worthy opponents in recent years, could you tell me who (excluding Nadal)?

I will post more text when I am back at home.

i haven't seen the final, and even if i had, it won't change my opinion
it's the fact she hardly works for it , wich shows how low the level of the others are
and the fact she's back cause the real top player who trains every day like she should be is gone

well with Federer's opponents i mean they are from a level who are worth to be top 10 , top 5
i don't mean they could handle Federer , cause nobody did that, like i said he's form a other planet
but players like Roddick (not the one from the last two years) , Hewitt (same for him) , Ferrero, Djokovic, Davydenko, Ferrer, Agassi, Safin (till half 2005) are players who showed more then most of the women in the top ten. They won tournaments cause they are really good , not cause other players fail. Of course their are some claycourt players but i don't gonna mention them , cause we only see thim in april and may

Fan of Daniela Hantuchova since the Australian Open 2002 Other players: Azarenka,Wozniacki,Henin,Safarova,Benesova

Board index : English Forum (ENG) : WTA Tour

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next